What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How I got roots in 6 days.

Praxis

I set my heating pad to 82 degrees and it helped alot for me.

This really is a great cloning method especially if you grow in coco, thanks for the post s&e

Peace

maxmurder

Veteran
Well, day 13. No roots. My cutting looks exactly like my previous picture. Almost as if it is in suspended animation. So the good thing, is that it looks really healthy. Sadly no roots.

My other cuttings also are the same. They look great but no roots.

I swear, it's like some sort of twilight zone.

sorry if i missed it herborizer- but are you two cloning the same plant? i've had plants that clone super easy and fast and other strains that it's a miracle if they root in under 14 days- same methods. how did you used to clone this plant? how long did it take? also i clone in root riots (not the same i know) with clonex solution and roots excell and also the clonex gel- always. good luck and i am gonna give this a shot real soon. :2cents::smoker:

Herborizer

Veteran
I told you no rooting hormone will take 14 days atleast. Did you scrape the stem at all or pull off any leaves that are under the Coco? I always just pull down of leaves and it will strip the top layer, this will help speed things up. I also just scrape the stem about an inch or two from the bottom. Just lightly to help speed things up.

They should all root, they look really good still. I do use Roots Excell and some gel, but I am doing experiments to see which one or if both are the key to my success in fast rooting. Since you used completely different stuff, I am not sure if you will get same results. Good luck, no worries...they will root.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your help/feedback. I also really like this cloning method.

I hear you on the 14 days thing for group A (first clone I took that didn't get any hormone and used plain tap water). I am also 8 days on the ones with cloning hormone (group B). I am 5 days on the ones with hormone + arrowhead spring water (group C).

I am considering making a group D where I use the roots accelerator in RO + coco pre-treated with 1/2 strength nutes (like in your writeup). If I get motivated I will do this later today.

Yes, I pull down on the leaves and it pulls out that little strip all the way down. I didn't scrape the stem with my blade though.

Herborizer

Veteran
sorry if i missed it herborizer- but are you two cloning the same plant? i've had plants that clone super easy and fast and other strains that it's a miracle if they root in under 14 days- same methods. how did you used to clone this plant? how long did it take? also i clone in root riots (not the same i know) with clonex solution and roots excell and also the clonex gel- always. good luck and i am gonna give this a shot real soon. :2cents::smoker:

I have six mothers (different genetics) I can use. Though, I am only trying with one strain at the moment, Green Crack (also known as dream queen).

Herborizer

Veteran
Does everyone here flush their mother plants of nitrogen before taking cuttings? I don't do this step. Here is why I am thinking about this......

I have my clone light like 20-22 inches above my cuttings. It's a single, 24 inch, T5, 27 watts. I got to thinking, what if the nitrogen levels are really high in my mother plants causing high nitrogen levels when I take cuttings?

Then, because my light is so little, that the cuttings stay in some sort of suspended animation (they are not burning through their reserved nutes/nitrogen). Maybe a combination of flushing my mother plants for several days before taking cuttings, and bringing my T5 light closer, could make the cuttings SEEK and thus create roots.

Anyway, just a thought I wanted to bounce off you guys. Thanks for the help.

Weedsa

Okay so my first cutttings are showing some roots on day 7, thats my new record :) Very easy and fast cloning method.

Herborizer

Veteran
Okay so my first cutttings are showing some roots on day 7, thats my new record :) Very easy and fast cloning method.

May I ask you a little bit about how you did it?

Did you soak the cuttings in roots excell & RO water (phed) for 20 minutes?
Did you pre-treat the coco in 1/2 strength nutes?
Did you use clonex?
What kind of light (type, size) did you use?
How far above the cutting (top of cutting to light) is your light?
Did you use any heating pad, etc?
What is the ambient temperature of your cloning area?

Thanks for the help!

slowandeasy

Veteran

Excellent! Just keep lightly damp and your roots will explode, if you water too much....it will slow down dramatically. Glad it worked for you.

Herborizer

Veteran
So I started two more cuttings today. I followed the instructions to the T. Only variance, is that I didn't use cloning gel, rather I used CloneX solution. Also, in previous attempts, I only drilled holes in the clear cup and not the outer cup (red one, or taped one). I have drilled tons of holes in all cups this time. So basically this is what I did:

1. Drilled cups (outer and inner). 8 holes in the inner/clear cup (all on the bottom). 12 holes in the outer/red cup (8 on the bottom, 4 on the sides near the bottom).
  2. Like always, I prepared my cutting block, razor blade, and scissors by cleaning with Rubbing Alcohol.
  3. Filled the clear up with Canna Coco. Tamped it down a bit.
  4. Prepared GH Nutes 6/9 with RO water. Mixed to 300ppm. PH'ed to 5.6.
  5. I poured the nutes into the coco cup to wet it. Then I pushed down on the coco to squeeze out the liquid. I kept doing this so it was eventually damp, and not wet.
  6. Using my finger, I pushed down in the middle of the coco until I was about 1/8th inch from the bottom of the cup. This will be the hole for my cutting.
  7. I prepared the roots excellerator (used 1/4 ml) in a 500ml cup of RO water. I added 1.5ml of CloneX solution to this. I PH'ed it to 5.6.
  8. I took a cutting from my mother with 5 nodes.
  9. I took the back of my scissors and scraped lightly, the last one inch of the cutting before the last node.
  10. I dipped the cutting in the roots excellerator/clonex mix for about 10 seconds.
  11. I took the cutting out and made my 45 degree cut right under the last node, with a fresh razor blade.
  12. I put the cutting into the roots excellerator/clonex mix for 20 minutes.
  13. I took the cutting out and put into the coco cup. I pressed around the stem to ensure good contact.
  14. I put the cutting under my T5 light, cutting is about 4inches below it. My T5 is a 24 inch long, 27watt blueish bulb (6500k).
  15. I did all of the above twice, using two different mother plants.

Hopefully this works! On the night of Day 5 I will take the cuttings out pancake style and then put back in. Hopefully roots on day6!

I just took a picture, so I will add it to this post in a minute.

slowandeasy

Veteran
So I started two more cuttings today. I followed the instructions to the T. Only variance, is that I didn't use cloning gel, rather I used CloneX solution. Also, in previous attempts, I only drilled holes in the clear cup and not the outer cup (red one, or taped one). I have drilled tons of holes in all cups this time. So basically this is what I did:

1. Drilled cups (outer and inner). 8 holes in the inner/clear cup (all on the bottom). 12 holes in the outer/red cup (8 on the bottom, 4 on the sides near the bottom).
  2. Like always, I prepared my cutting block, razor blade, and scissors by cleaning with Rubbing Alcohol.
  3. Filled the clear up with Canna Coco. Tamped it down a bit.
  4. Prepared GH Nutes 6/9 with RO water. Mixed to 300ppm. PH'ed to 5.6.
  5. I poured the nutes into the coco cup to wet it. Then I pushed down on the coco to squeeze out the liquid. I kept doing this so it was eventually damp, and not wet.
  6. Using my finger, I pushed down in the middle of the coco until I was about 1/8th inch from the bottom of the cup. This will be the hole for my cutting.
  7. I prepared the roots excellerator (used 1/4 ml) in a 500ml cup of RO water. I added 1.5ml of CloneX solution to this. I PH'ed it to 5.6.
  8. I took a cutting from my mother with 5 nodes.
  9. I took the back of my scissors and scraped lightly, the last one inch of the cutting before the last node.
  10. I dipped the cutting in the roots excellerator/clonex mix for about 10 seconds.
  11. I took the cutting out and made my 45 degree cut right under the last node, with a fresh razor blade.
  12. I put the cutting into the roots excellerator/clonex mix for 20 minutes.
  13. I took the cutting out and put into the coco cup. I pressed around the stem to ensure good contact.
  14. I put the cutting under my T5 light, cutting is about 4inches below it. My T5 is a 24 inch long, 27watt blueish bulb (6500k).
  15. I did all of the above twice, using two different mother plants.

Hopefully this works! On the night of Day 5 I will take the cuttings out pancake style and then put back in. Hopefully roots on day6!

I just took a picture, so I will add it to this post in a minute.

Looks good! I did not know your light was only 4 inches away.. Might be a tad too close, but give it a try. How far away did you have before? If they wilt at all, raise the light. My light is about a foot or so away, but I use CFLs and a small clone cabinet. Looks like temps are perfect! Good luck, hope it works for you.

Herborizer

Veteran
Looks good! I did not know your light was only 4 inches away.. Might be a tad too close, but give it a try. How far away did you have before? If they wilt at all, raise the light. My light is about a foot or so away, but I use CFLs and a small clone cabinet. Looks like temps are perfect! Good luck, hope it works for you.

Thanks. My light used to be about 22inches away. I have some at 4 inches away and some at 8 inches. We will see how it goes!

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Ok posting results from my grow-off, RW vs Botanicare Readygro Coco:

RW was treated with KLN, Eagle20EW and Physan20, ph'ed of course. About 3 days after removing domes (so day 8 total) clones started to yellow and die from pythium/fusarium wilt. Nasty shit. I actually think the moths that love the light hang out on the plants and bring nasty fungi with them. ONE clone survived.

The other tray was not treated at all, filled a tray of 1"X4" holes with Readygro (coco +perlite, light ferts) watered with plain well water, and dipped in Olivias cloning gel, got green healthy clones that rooted in about ten days, watered once with well water, and I think I lost 3-4 clones out of fifty.

My cloning rack holds 6 trays, t-8 blue fluoros, digital heat mats set at 80*F. I have found that clones in RW are much happier when watered with weak EWC tea, btw. But now I don't buy RW anymore, I just stick em in Readygro coco, which also saves me tons of money over RW slabs.

1 bag of Readygro cost $9, and fills about 15 reusable trays. Vs RW at $8 a slab to do one tray, and for me doesn't work as well. Go coco!! :)

down2grow

I'm gonna have to give coco another try so that I can avoid transplanting. I was at a 10% success rate and I do believe that it was due to too much moisture. I have since gone to the "world class cloner" and in get 100% if I leave them in there for 10 days. But just a few roots, not close to yours at 7 days. Thanks for the thread!

D2G

Herborizer

Veteran
Ok posting results from my grow-off, RW vs Botanicare Readygro Coco:

RW was treated with KLN, Eagle20EW and Physan20, ph'ed of course. About 3 days after removing domes (so day 8 total) clones started to yellow and die from pythium/fusarium wilt. Nasty shit. I actually think the moths that love the light hang out on the plants and bring nasty fungi with them. ONE clone survived.

The other tray was not treated at all, filled a tray of 1"X4" holes with Readygro (coco +perlite, light ferts) watered with plain well water, and dipped in Olivias cloning gel, got green healthy clones that rooted in about ten days, watered once with well water, and I think I lost 3-4 clones out of fifty.

My cloning rack holds 6 trays, t-8 blue fluoros, digital heat mats set at 80*F. I have found that clones in RW are much happier when watered with weak EWC tea, btw. But now I don't buy RW anymore, I just stick em in Readygro coco, which also saves me tons of money over RW slabs.

1 bag of Readygro cost $9, and fills about 15 reusable trays. Vs RW at $8 a slab to do one tray, and for me doesn't work as well. Go coco!! :)

Thanks Lazyman for sharing. How close were your lights to your cuttings? Also, what kind of trays are those?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Lights are about 8" above (can't move them up any more) but I unscrewed one T-8 per fixture, so it's pretty dim. The trays are the standard hydro store black plastic trays, hold about 50 cuttings each. They have some now with deep holes I filled with the coco, more stem contact area helps too I'm sure.

Oh and it wasn't just moths, the other day I moved a tray and had 3 moths, 1 grasshopper and a big praying mantis hanging out amongst the cuttings! Kinda scared me, the mantis was BIG!

slowandeasy

Veteran
Lights are about 8" above (can't move them up any more) but I unscrewed one T-8 per fixture, so it's pretty dim. The trays are the standard hydro store black plastic trays, hold about 50 cuttings each. They have some now with deep holes I filled with the coco, more stem contact area helps too I'm sure.

Oh and it wasn't just moths, the other day I moved a tray and had 3 moths, 1 grasshopper and a big praying mantis hanging out amongst the cuttings! Kinda scared me, the mantis was BIG!

Glad it worked out for you Lazyman. I have used those trays before, but I like the clear cups better because I can see the moisture and roots. I do not do 50 clones at a time tho. The cups hold more Coco, so you can take bigger clones.

Screw RW, I do not want to grow in the same material that keeps my house insulated! If you grow in Coco, clone in Coco! Once you get the correct moisture levels down, you will have roots a few days sooner. Take care.

C

Cheeb

I recently had some 6 days roots on a particular variety using Root Riots.

Instead of going the typical clonex dip; I cut clones, soaked them in dip n' grow solution for a minute and shoved them into the riot cubes.

No dome (its a humid basement area already)- no dedicated light - just off to the side of an 8 bulb t5 overs some moms. Used a heat mat and shot the cubes with straight RO if they started to get too dry. Majority rooted in 6 days - rest rooted in 10-12.

- tried straight coco in a 72 cell insert and got 100% 1st time, but failed 2nd time. Not sure what I did differently, but think I didnt pinch the coco tight around where I inserted it into the coco.. dunno

- definitely want to try it again using larger cups and just use them as a preveg.