What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brown spots and something eating my leaves please help

The strain is true OG. In a green house. I'm using foxfarm happy frog reused from last season because I didn't have money for new soil. All I gave the soil last year general organics bloom nothing else. Someone please try and help.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
hey man, the pics I the second post almost looks like thrips but when I zoom in its quite hard to clarify that. either way its obviously some kind of insect. so id go with some side of insecticide whether you go for a more organic or chemical approach.

it if was caterpillars, you would most likely find some on the plants somewhere.

johnkneefive

have you had a moth maybe in the room? looks like Moth larvae, or caterpillars damage..i had exact issue

edit:just seen your second post..yes moth larvae can cause that..

i sprayed with spinosad..done deal

hey man, the pics I the second post almost looks like thrips but when I zoom in its quite hard to clarify that. either way its obviously some kind of insect. so id go with some side of insecticide whether you go for a more organic or chemical approach.

it if was caterpillars, you would most likely find some on the plants somewhere.

I've had thrips more times than I can care to remember. And the Damage they did never looked like that. I am not doubting u. Ill get some spinisad that has always worked for me. But way do u say about the bite marks on the leaves. I've never seen thrips put holes in leaves like that. Can thrips eat holes like that because from my research the eat the chlorofil the green from the leaf 1 week ago these plants were beautiful be sign of anything except good growth.. Any other idea from u or anyone else would be appreciated.

have you had a moth maybe in the room? looks like Moth larvae, or caterpillars damage..i had exact issue

edit:just seen your second post..yes moth larvae can cause that..

i sprayed with spinosad..done deal

Spinisad it is then. I checked very carefully for caterpillars. Didn't find any at all. And yes my partner said when he goes in to water there is little white moths everywhere. Thank you.

If anybody has any other input or needs more info. Please don't hesitate. This is my medicine. Thank you all. This is a great community

Dude i have exactly the same problem. I found one of the lil buggers. Caterpillars stunted one of my plants...damn moths! Spinosad was my go to.

Thanks everyone. Spinisad was the first thing I thought of as well but this is my first greenhouse grow and I've been growing for over 6 years and have never seen damage like this. If any body else has input please don't hesitate. You are all great. I was freaking out and within a half hour 3 people came to that same conclusion as as I did before even posted. I know indoor very well. But this green house set up just throws me in a loop if you all know what I'm saying lol. Anymore input would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

buzzmobile

Veteran
It's possibly one of the Leaf Skeletonizers.

Spinosad would be the control for them also.

Last edited:
Found caterpillars

Found caterpillars

I found caterpillars. Is monterey caterpillar and spinosad really the best way to rid of them. Or is the any better product

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image View Image View Image

I found caterpillars. Is monterey caterpillar and spinosad really the best way to rid of them. Or is the any better product

It may already be to late but you may be wise in setting up some moth traps OUTSIDE your greenhouse. If you've got ANY light sources in the greenhouse at night, they will attract moths. A UV bug zapper might do you some good as well. Maybe try a bug zapper with moth hormones just to be sure.

Also, if it is too late, you can be ready for next season.

It may already be to late but you may be wise in setting up some moth traps OUTSIDE your greenhouse. If you've got ANY light sources in the greenhouse at night, they will attract moths. A UV bug zapper might do you some good as well. Maybe try a bug zapper with moth hormones just to be sure.

Also, if it is too late, you can be ready for next season.

Well I havr 12 plants in the GH. And 4 of them have about 60% damage 2 of them are around 20 percent. The other 6 are virtually untouched. Any recommendations. Also do caterpillars dig into dirt like worms??

TanzanianMagic

Veteran

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I've had thrips more times than I can care to remember. And the Damage they did never looked like that. I am not doubting u. Ill get some spinisad that has always worked for me. But way do u say about the bite marks on the leaves. I've never seen thrips put holes in leaves like that. Can thrips eat holes like that because from my research the eat the chlorofil the green from the leaf 1 week ago these plants were beautiful be sign of anything except good growth.. Any other idea from u or anyone else would be appreciated.

man I was referring to the brownish scaring rather than the chunks taken out, that's why I said the pics in your second post.
an now your right thrips defo cant chomp through the leaves but its possible you could have two pest in play here. idk man..

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77888&pictureid=1876882" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77888&pictureid=1876882" target="_blank">View Image <a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77888&pictureid=1876881" target="_blank">View Image

oh bingo lol