What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Point of no return

Superauto

When set in bloom, is there a point(days or weeks) when the cannabis plant will no longer be able to go back to veg no matter how much light it receive?

troutman

Seed Whore
Some people like to revegetate plants that have flowered.
But if your intention is on saving a special plant.
My advice it to take a clone prior to flowering.
Sometimes revegging fails.

Superauto

Just thinking that if it’s possible to have a plant bloom in 4-5 weeks and then increase the lightning hours and still continue blooming

Cvh

Supermod
You can reveg a photoperiod plant even after harvest.
But as Troutman said you are better off taking cuttings during veg.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
you can reveg at anytime as long as the plant is healthy, after a few weeks on 12/12 id think it takes at least 2 weeks to start turning around.. and then it has to get there, so that takes time. If you had set some plants to bloom and changed your mind you can revert them but it can take a month or more to resume normal veg growth. also expect the plants to be really bushy after the reveg and if put back into flower will branch more.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
if you wanted to increase the daytime hours to "boost" them by giving them more light (guessing here), id say it would be counterproductive. the lengthening of days sends mixed signals to the plant, it goes against what it sees in nature, which is the opposite, it reacts to the days shortening and blooms.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've found that genetics plays a big role in the difficulty of revegging. Generally, sativa dominant plants are easier than indica.

As for care, I think it's important to stimulate root growth to get the top doing the same. I use a bread knife to shave off the bottom and sides of the root ball to try to match the (harvested) top in mass. Then repot in fresh mix.

If I know I'm going to try to reveg a plant I generally try to leave a good portion of the bottom of the plant intact with as many big fan leaves as possible, but with about 3/4 of the remaining buds carefully pruned out with small scissors. The goal of removing flowers is to reduce the 'hormones' that are convincing the plant to keep flowering. Be careful not to take all the buds out because the new growth has to start from some of them.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Autoflowers do not respond to 'veg' lighting. This is why they're called "Auto" flowers. They flower automatically, regardless of the light schedule.

There's no doubt about this but as I understand the question he wanted to maximize the return by giving more/longer light during flower. See post #3

Just thinking that if it’s possible to have a plant bloom in 4-5 weeks and then increase the lightning hours and still continue blooming

This can't be done with regular plants because they would go back to veg. The only way he could increase light hours is by using autoflowers because they don't react on the photoperiod. I didnt try it and I dont know if it works or is of help but this was my only theory on how he could reach what he wanted to. I think I also saw people here using 18:6 during flower with autos.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
When set in bloom, is there a point(days or weeks) when the cannabis plant will no longer be able to go back to veg no matter how much light it receive?
4-5 weeks of Bloom would probably make your plants hermie before reverting to veg. not sure how much longer you want to go in bloom before harvest but air layering a branch would give you a clone in a couple weeks or so..

EDIT: I know nothing about autos..