What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What Causes a plant to go into full bloom with 18 hours of light per day?

CrushnYuba

If it looks like it's a week in, it could just be preflowers from stress and it could come out of it. Low nitrogen, rootbound. Very rarely Do i see a plant full on flower from stress.
It could be recessive genetic trait. Either full auto flower or extremely photo sensitive ( some people call semi auto) like gorilla gold or auto Iranian. They only veg with 24hrs of light.

SaToRi_GrOwS

The ATF I run kinda starts to flower under 18 hours so I keep her 24. Like others are saying probably ruderalis somewhere in the lineage or it could have been initiated by stress. But you Can for sure still clone her if you want just keep the clone under 24 hours light, I always clone 2 weeks into flower and I've taken clones even later with success. Also if u want to keep her and you are worried just put her back under 24 and reveg her.

therevverend

Veteran
I doubt there's Ruderalis in this strain, or a lot of the other strains that show this tendency. There's plenty of places besides Siberia where cannabis flower earlier then normal outside. Hemp plants in Canada, Europe, and Asia. Drug plants in Lebanon, Morocco, and Egypt. Parts of Central Asia have a short grow season.
Ruderalis are Age Determinate. Doesn't matter how long or short the days are, at a certain age they begin to flower.
If a plant flowers at 18 but Veg at 24 it's Photo Determinate, really sensitive. I'd switch the lighting back to 24 hours if you want to try to get the plant to revert. Or go full on 12/12 if it's ready to flower.
On another thread we were having a similar discussion, this is as good a place as any to continue it. The mechanism that causes plants to flower when light cycles shorten has been studied and is understood.
The question is what other factors cause a plant to flower early? And when will there be a scientific study that answers our question why do some plants start to flower when they're light starved, root bound, or nutrient deprived? Is it a gene that photo sensitive plant carry? Auto and photo sensitive plants tend to react to these conditions.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it looks like it's a week in, it could just be preflowers from stress and it could come out of it. Low nitrogen, rootbound. Very rarely Do i see a plant full on flower from stress.
It could be recessive genetic trait. Either full auto flower or extremely photo sensitive ( some people call semi auto) like gorilla gold or auto Iranian. They only veg with 24hrs of light.

I told my brother to let his pots dry between waterings and he took me seriously & allowed the containers to dry out to the point the plants were wilted pretty bad. All his plants began to flower as a result.

My plants, in the same soil and nutes, watered regularly, continue growing as normal. One of my varieties has also already begun flowering (Chem Kesey).

I've another friend growing the same varieties as my bro & their plants are veging like crazy with regular watering in amended native soil.

therevverend

Veteran
Sorry shouldn't have alluded to a thread without saying what it is. It's What is a better name for these type of genetics??
In the Marijuana Strains and Breeding Section.
Discussion about what Photoperiod Sensitive strains should be called.

LostTribe

Premium user
Very frustrating because the two other plants under the same light are not going into bloom yet, as expected. This is not supposed to be an auto-flowering strain...Grower's Choice Seeds' Cinderella 99...She's beautiful but EARLY! What should I do? Go to 12/12? Now?

Thanks for your insights.

As pretty much the go to C99 expert here I will tell you that Cindy sometimes shows preflowers on 18/6 but not so much on 24/0. Don't worry about it, but do check for light leaks just in case. C99 showing preflower sometimes will go into bloom several days quicker than non preflower from personal experience as well.

I have never heard of growers choice. I'm enjoying Joey Weed at the moment, classic C99. Also have some new Grimm 99 but its an outcross I am fairly certain, although still high quality and mostly C99.

However, in your last post you said "this 16 hour plant" this is confusing as your thread states 18/6 full bloom?

Peace
LT

LostTribe

Premium user
Ace Zamaldelica has Ruderalis in its line. When I was searching for a keeper about 1/3 of the seeds expressed the autoflower trait. Left the grow for 4 days and came back to a fully flowered male, a seeded female and pollen all over the place. Really dislike Ruderalis. My keeper doesn't have the trait and is as easy to clone as any photoperiod plant I've grown.

I call BULLSHIT on that ZAM is 100% Sativa. Ruderalis is 100% Indica. Zam is Mangu Carriot x Golden tiger (Malawi x Hmong Thai). If you doubt ask Dubi.

Zam
picture.php

Meanwhile if the C99 is showing more than single preflowers I'd have to say it is most definitely not 100% C99 and possibly not C99.

JW C99
picture.php

picture.php

Grimm C99
picture.php

Post pics so veterans can assist you. I am not checking in often.

LT