What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me design my new grow cab

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
So today....

So today....

I finished up the door face framing

picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Also

Also

Finished up the insulation everywhere except around the air conditioner and where I'm bringing wiring through the end wall.

I used 2" insulation between the uprights and 1/2" to cover the 2x4 uprights. It is proud by about 1/4" but it's nothing critical. Covered all seams with duct tape (the metal kind) which was very time consuming as it's not easy to work with and even harder when working with uneven edges, but it lasts way longer than the vinyl duct tape.

picture.php

Last edited:

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
And this

And this

I plan to use Tropf Blumats with a reservoir inside the cabinet to handle watering. Rather than open a huge door and lose all the cool air inside, i put in a peep window in the end of the cabinet. I will use a float indicator in the reservoir to indicate the water level so checking lights or water supply will not require opening the cab up.

I bought a cheap 5x7 picture frame from the Dollar Store and metal taped the outside and caulked the inside. I'll either use velcro and black vinyl to cover it or build a frame and sliding wood cover - haven't decided yet.

picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Thanks Buckets, its driving me nuts not being able to work on it every day, but since I'm kind of winging it as I go along it actually works pretty well to have the time to really think about a lot of ideas and pick the best ones.

Was high AF with my buddy when I came up with what I think will be the best, simplest way to secure the doors.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
C'mon Cata, you know how hot most of the year is around here. All said and done I'll only have $70 in insulation and another $30 in tape and caulk so that should be money well spent so the A/C isn't running 24/7.

Dropped by HD tonite for wiring - there goes another $100. I could have cheaped out but I'd rather build it once, build it right (hopefully) and not burn down a building cause I miscalculated or skimped on something.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Finished up the inside wiring

Finished up the inside wiring

Should be plenty of outlets for everything inside the cabinet, the second line is a switch leg for the scrubber.

picture.php
picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Scrubber arrived

Scrubber arrived

Over sized but I may upsize the fan significantly.

picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Ran the power leads to the A/C and the inside outlets. sealed the holes with plumbers putty.

picture.php

picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Door layout

Door layout

Details on the attachment system to follow, I thought long and hard about many different options and their pros and cons. Was smoked up with my best bud and had an inspiration that so far seems to work well.

Here I'm laying out the door framing for the first door.
picture.php

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
shit yea buddy looking RIGHT...

left ya a message on the FLA thread,tried for a few flounders but NOTHING ,water was pretty dirty...ill find those bastards...rooms looking good..

didnt you and i chat about fishing a little when i first first got onto the FLA thread...??? i could of swore that was you...nevertheless good gling on the room buddy...LOOKIN GOOD BROTHER.. :tiphat:

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Thanks Buckets, we did go back and forth about fishing, just not much time for that right now. Hoping to get back out in a couple months when this cab is up and running.

If you can get out Weds or Thurs before this next front comes through you may have better luck.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Doors are done

Doors are done

Except for insulation, the doors are done. I used some old aluminum brackets I had laying around and some stainless steel boat hook holders from Home Depot on all four corners of each door to attach them.

The doors open by grabbing the handles and lifting up and the weight of the doors holds them tightly in place.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Once I get the insulation installed in the top and the lid attached, I'll see what insulation I have left (or get more) to finish the inside of the doors. I may also have to weatherstrip or otherwise seal a couple spots on the one door to really get a tight fit but all in all I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Coba

Veteran
looks like a couple of heavy doors. glad you got them figured... why did you decide against hinges?

EastCoast710

that's a great idea.. because most people will try to push or pull on a adoor. and if you had kids.. this is a great idea because they couldn't lift the door when they are too young to be near the room lol I been looking into LEDS.. too much info .too confusing right now.. and the proven ones are too expensive..

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
looks like a couple of heavy doors. glad you got them figured... why did you decide against hinges?

Not really that heavy, 3/8" plywood and 2x2 framing. If i had to guess, they are about 20-25 lbs. each.

I had a swinging door on my last cabinet and it was a PITA because it was so big. This will allow me keep crap all around this thing for camo and still open the door fairly easily when needed. And as East Coast pointed out, most people are too dumb to figure out how to open these up :biggrin:

that's a great idea.. because most people will try to push or pull on a a door. and if you had kids.. this is a great idea because they couldn't lift the door

WINNER!! really just a deterrent to casual snoops. If somebody really wants in they will get in, but between moving shit and figuring out the doors, they will really have to want to.

I been looking into LEDS.. too much info .too confusing right now.. and the proven ones are too expensive..

10-4 on the proven ones. There are plenty of good COB LED build threads, my failure was when I went off on my own wiring plan and it didn't work. For me, it's more work matching up what COB and driver I want to use than it is fabricating and wiring them up.

Then again if you're not even casually familiar with electricity, it's probably not a good idea to mess with a DIY build unless your committed to educating yourself and then replicating someone else's build.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Now it's time to build some lights!

Now it's time to build some lights!

picture.php

Cree CXB3070
Meanwell HLG-185H-C1400B driver

Not gonna post a build of these, there are plenty of those threads around but once I have this rig built, the parts for the next light should be here shortly and then I can insulate, seal and put the lid on and get down to testing.

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
maybe(well most likely....lol)...ive done to many bong rippers,and or had to much hooch....LOL :biggrin:

but why the boner for the LED...why not just throw a 600,or a 1000 in there....sry dude,if ya already said the reasoning....lol
nevertheless,grow area looks MONEY MY MAN.... big UPs.... :tiphat: