What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me design my new grow cab

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Thanks Cheeb, that means a lot coming from you.

For a first try and a variety of plants I wasn't disappointed in the results either. But I think with additional experience and a single crop of clones I could do much better.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Thanks Mr. Miyagi,

it didn't turn out too bad for build as you go project. Weather should be turning slightly cooler soon, got a crop vegging and just about ready to crank it up again for the winter season.

Hoping for three turns in the next 8 months.

Mr. Miyagi

No, not at all... I've pondered the idea of building my own lighting system, especially since one of the perks of being in the business I am, I have plenty of connections regarding elec components and lighting parts.. maybe... when I'm super bored lol.

Good show man...

Can't wait to see more!

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Quick update

Quick update

For those still curious enough to be hanging around

I fired everything up again at the end of September. COBS worked like a charm but the far red bars were giving me fits and I couldn't figure it out. After I trashed the third cooling fan on a COB, I got pissed and took them out.

They may work, but it was a shitty design on my part and when it starts costing me money on top of being a pain in my ass - well it's time to rethink things.

Five days later the A/C died.

Fortunately three factors made this not a huge deal:

#1 - I bought the extended warranty from Wally world

#2 - it happened in September when they still had A/C units in stock

#3 - I was very thoughtful/careful how I installed the A/C and assumed I would have to replace it sooner than later so the design made it about a 15 minute job to remove all the tape and pull the unit and not much longer than that to install the replacement.

Now I just have to kill the fucking spider mites again........

picture.php

Morcheeba*

Veteran
dealing w/ pest in an indoor garden is something ive got used to. there are no beneficial insects in my garden like outside so things can get out of hand quick.

ive only dealt w/spider mites 1 time when i first started but my most common pest is the white fly and i have to do preventative spray of neem in veg weekly. i broke their life cycle by using a systemic in veg and cut my last crop early so everything would be clean. i also used the systemic outside on everything in my yard to create a buffer zone in hopes it will keep the white flies away.

its only the 2nd time ive ever used a systemic pesticide on anything.

peace

Aspenou812

Veteran
That's looking nice DP...... Have you guys tried the hot shot no pest strips? I haven't found anything that will survive them long, two weeks in the grow room and no pest to be seen.... and the plants take up nothing... it never touches anything just a light vapor in the air

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Yeah I guess I gotta break down and try those. I've been working with some essential oils and have good results, but they are a PITA and I've burned the shit out of a few plants - not sure if the strain is sensitive to the oil or if the oil started coming out of suspension in the sprayer or if the LED spectrum has something to do with it....

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
About 10 days to go until these come down. Mostly TT with a GG4 and one LA Affie x Fire OG in there.

Next fall space will be divided between (8) LEDs on one 3x3 side and one 315 CMH on the other.

WYD5 BT7

Very awesome! I know I am late but I just read through this thread and was very impressed from the beginning! Love to see people in the SE producing quality.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Very awesome! I know I am late but I just read through this thread and was very impressed from the beginning! Love to see people in the SE producing quality.

:tiphat: Thank you Sir!

Long time since I've updated this thread so here's a quick update.

Overall this thing works as well as I imagined it. I suppose I could have thought out the interior dimensions a little more, but aside from fitting larger pots I really don't think it would make that much difference.

The 5K BTU window shaker does just fine cooling everything and the fogger does a nice job keeping the humidity where it needs to be.

I have repurposed the LEDs and replaced them with two 315 CMH units, they have a much better spectrum with just a small increase in heat output as I can remote mount the ballasts for these lights as well.

Overall, the only thing I am not happy with and still thinking about replacing are the doors. I like the design in terms of how they latch, but the 1/4" plywood swells and warps as the ambient humidity changes so they do not properly seal all the time.

This could be dealt with using weather stripping, but I know from past experience that with the way the doors latch that it would be a short term fix and wouldn't hold up.

Still not sure how I'm going to address it. That said, overall I'm pretty happy with how this unit performs.

WYD5 BT7

Great update. That is interesting about the door swelling simply because I never thought of that happening. I was going to build one out of wood but switched at the last minute. Fortunately, I have metal cabinets but they were not cheap!

The humidity in the south is no joke so I am sure that really impacts the swelling of the wood. Perhaps in a colder environment it would be different.

Anyways, I love it! LED's are such an interesting concept.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Plywood or MDF was really all I ever considered as I was trying to keep costs down and realistically if I ever have to move, this thing gets razed and scrapped and I scavenge as much of it as I can to reuse in another project.

If I had invested more in the LEDs I would not have switched, but these were not the first COBs I built and I knew how fast the technology was moving so I purposely went with less COBs than I knew I could use figuring I could repurpose them if I saw a better lighting option.

I figured that it would be a new COB, but the CMH sure fills the bill nicely for this space.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
2018 update, next round of plants going to flower.

Four Triangle Trips, Four GG4 all under two 315W CMH

picture.php

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
hoping that's the case, still trying to get both strains dialed in with the new feed.