What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

House spiders

C

Conformist

Summer has finally come to an end up here in Canada and spiders are starting to show themselves around the house.
Lately, I've been finding 2-3 of them daily and was wondering if it would be beneficial to have a couple inside my 3x3 grow tent?

I have 4 plants in there right now and none are having pest problems at the moment.
However, I'm sure putting a couple inside would be much more useful than flushing them down the toilet.

So, I was wondering, what kind of pests exactly do spiders eat?
Does it eats everything just like a praying mantis?
Thanks.

I have zero experience with this ... but a couple thoughts. You're better off controlling things such that the spider doesn't have anything to eat, as once there is something to eat, it's probably more than 1 or 2 spiders can take care of ...

Spiders build webs ... unless you're running SCROG or something where you don't move the plants, you're going to destroy the spider's environment regularly any way.

An outdoor grow, I'd be all over having friendly bugs ... spiders, mantids, lady bugs ... Indoors, I think your better off using soap solution or neem oil as needed depending on the pest in question.

C

Conformist

I have zero experience with this ... but a couple thoughts. You're better off controlling things such that the spider doesn't have anything to eat, as once there is something to eat, it's probably more than 1 or 2 spiders can take care of ...

Spiders build webs ... unless you're running SCROG or something where you don't move the plants, you're going to destroy the spider's environment regularly any way.

An outdoor grow, I'd be all over having friendly bugs ... spiders, mantids, lady bugs ... Indoors, I think your better off using soap solution or neem oil as needed depending on the pest in question.

I already have a bottle of concentrated neem oil but the problem is, you can't use neem oil during flowering.

Having a couple spiders in there would simply be an attempt at stopping any mites infestation from occurring.
Cause i know for a fact a lone spider can take care of an early spider mite infestation by itself.

But beside stopping spider mites, i really don't know what else a spider can take care of.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i've had spiders in my tent.
poor arachnids had little to nothing to eat...found out they suck plant juices too.
they had webs in every corner, but no flyers to feast on.

gooogle daddy long legs.

you're never more than 5 feet from a spider.

C

Conformist

i've had spiders in my tent.
poor arachnids had little to nothing to eat...found out they suck plant juices too.
they had webs in every corner, but no flyers to feast on.

gooogle daddy long legs.

you're never more than 5 feet from a spider.

Harvestmen are considered to be predators and scavengers and eat a wide variety of food, preferring insects and other arthropods (dead or alive), as well as vegetable matter and juices.
Food is never a problem, ranging from aphids, beetles, caterpillars, earthworms, flies, mites, small slugs, snails and spiders, to fecal matter and fungi.

I'm not quite sure whether this is a good thing or not.
They feed on vegetable matter and juices but, also kill pretty much anything detrimental to your garden.

Did you notice any negative effects on your plants caused by this "spider"?

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I get house spiders in my veg area, I just let them be because the eat gnats they don't seem to make much of a web.

I don't like spiders much myself, so the house spiders and other tiny spiders get to stay anything that looks scary gets squashed.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
no. afaik he/she's still there.
or replaced by a new generation. they been hatching crazily theses parts.
the only spiders i'm cautious of are blackwidow and brown recluse and they seem to dislike my climate.
i have yet to see any damage caused by them, but would not discount them being a vector for mold/mildew/pathogens...

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
Funny-Spiderman-Real-Picture.jpg

C

Conformist

no. afaik he/she's still there.
or replaced by a new generation. they been hatching crazily theses parts.
the only spiders i'm cautious of are blackwidow and brown recluse and they seem to dislike my climate.
i have yet to see any damage caused by them, but would not discount them being a vector for mold/mildew/pathogens...

I'm not really concerned about mildew and bud rot, my humidity is always ranging from 25-30%.

Anyway, I'll try finding a place i can buy an harvestman cause finding one outside at this time of the year is gonna be next to impossible.