What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How many plants 2 600 watt lights

Hey guys i currently have a grow going with 9 plants under a 600 watt hps in a grow room thats (4'9” x 4'9” x 6'7”) They have been doing well thus far and i have also recently just switched over to 12/12 on the 6th. I am already planning my next grow when the first batch is finished but im going to up my wattage to 2 600 watt lights...my question for you guys is whats a good amount of plants for this wattage in the same size tent? I will veg for the same amount of time as this grow im doing now which is 30-40 days. I believe i can fit another 9 in there now and do 18 in 3 gallon pots. Is this too many for that size tent in those size pots with that amount of wattage?

nukestep

Depends on a lot of things

I would look first into security. Wouldn't go over 10 plants personally so yeah I'd go with 10 plants and veg them for a little more.

my opinion

And two 600w are a lot of power.

robbiedublu

Lots of variables involved so it's hard to say exactly. What variety are you growing and how much do they stretch ? Single stem or bushes? I grow 6 plants/ 600w but they're topped so 3 or 4 mainstems each. 9-10 sq ft of floor space per 600 watt.

id really like to pull 2 lbs using the 2 600's...is that easily obtainable with just 10 plants? these are going into a home that nobody knows about but myself so im not really too worried about them being found or taken..ill have the proper odor control in place and they will be out of site. Im going to start getting my clones ready for round 2 and trying to figure out how many to cut..also looking for suggestions on high yielding good quality strains that i can order seeds for an upcoming crop...was thinking sour diesel is this a heavy yielder? and if so where is the best place to order seeds from and apprx. how long does it take from ordering to receive them? Thanks for the help! :)

robbie, the strain im growing right now is 8 lemon haze and 1 jack herer...like i said i vegged them for about 40 days and they are about 2 1/2 feet tall and not too bushy. the next grow i am getting ready for it would be probably 9 lemon haze and 9 jacks...the jack i have is very short and bushy...

eastbeast

I try to keep it at or over 60 watts per square foot. If you get another tent so that you have a 3x3ft space per 600 you should be able to get an lb per lamp.... I would go for something like a northern lights or a skunk based strain, prune the bottom branches for a top cola and keep em short haha.... Sour diesel varies greatly depending on the breeder and pheno....

Thanks east.. whats the best place to order NL strain or a skunk based strain also sour diesel? On a side note i noticed earlier in another thread that as far as keeping power usage at a level that isnt going to throw up a red flag one shouldnt really exceed 1000 watts per bedroom...is this true? would i be pushing it at 1200 in a room? it would be in a decent sized house and usage elsewhere in the house would be minimal... just want to make sure that i wont be raising a red flag to the electric company...i also heard about pulsed use from an electrician and i would try to hide this by having 2 seperate tents in 2 seperate rooms with opposite 12/12 time while one is lights out the other will be having lights turn on to make it look like a constant use of electricity would this work?

eastbeast

yea i would just put em in the same room even.... one six hundred watt lamp on 12/12 will cost you 20$ a month to run; assuming that your paying 7-8 cents a kilowatt hour. so thats only like 50$ a month including your fans and shit like that. i run about 1200 watts right now in our house and our electric bill rarely gets over 70. thats nothing.

when i was living with two buddies of mine last year two of us were very conservative with energy and electricity. the other guy stayed in his room all day and night, running a space heater, a computer hooked up to a 48" moniter, a fan, dvd player, vcr, stereo system and like 3 lights TWENTY FOUR SEVEN. he was a cokehead so yes the lights were on all night. our electric bill was always $200+ every month solely because of this guy. did the electric company come knocking on our door accompanied by the police? nope. because you have to remember that the electric companies are NATURAL MONOPOLIES. they are there to make money because this is capitalism. they aren't going to knock on your door and say "hey! you're using too much of our product! you're giving us too much money!" Do you think that the electric companies in california are complaining post prop 215? that being said, that doesnt mean you shouldn't be cautious. i wouldn't do anything like put 10k of lighting in a single bedroom, as thats probable cause and who wants to find out if they call the cops or not haha

Useful Idiot

Veteran
1200w in a house, don't worry about it.
Yep, Just like Robbie said,1200 aint nothing to even begin to even think about beginnnig to worry about.Shit ,get yourself another 600 and do 1800 and you still will be fine.Elec co will be happy taking your $$$.Have fun!!!!

LifeLess

Veteran
Posternuggbag I run a single 600 in a Secret Jardin dr120 (4x4). I couldnt imagine putting anymore then 8 plants in there even with 2-600s. The plants would be so cramped in there the bottom 2/3 of the plant wouldnt even get light. Can you even fit 18-3 gallon pots in there? What about a scrog or a sog. Look into a few diff grow styles or get that 2nd 600 and another 4x4 space then youll be in there. Hope things workout for you. Peace LL

sneaky101

Depends on a lot of things

I would look first into security. Wouldn't go over 10 plants personally so yeah I'd go with 10 plants and veg them for a little more.

my opinion

And two 600w are a lot of power.

Sounds like you are in my non-med state. That's my plant limit too. Although I always go over when I am cloning just to make sure I have a few good growers before I get to of the weaker ones.

And I have afewtents/cabs and I'm running 1550 watts right now in 2 different rooms and thinking about turning the ballasts on full power to 2kwatts. 1k in each room. No problems to date. The power company has never come out and asked me to not use so much power. I pay my bill on time and they leave me alone. You should be fine.

A

astra007

IMHO

IMHO

i would hazzard an maximum estimate of 15 plants giving each 80w of flower power. this is the "rule of thumb" i have always gone by with excellent results. for veg; i allow 50w per plant.

as for power; i run a 6 light 1000w HPS flower room and a 2 light MH 1000w with 5 - 200w CFL's for veg. when i clone, i have a 400w MH for the domes and then T5 grow fleuro's to bring them up to 4th node.

Last edited:

Cartel530

Veteran
as long as your paying your power bill on time and hell no even on time all the time haha. my bill is over 2000k a month and PGE hasnt said one thing in over 3 years. They wont go outta there way to screw with you unless you have made them mad. there is no program running that red flags houses that use too much energy in one room or anything like that, i have family members in the power company:) as long as no one already has a reason to check your power records ( cops on word from SNITCHES) your good. a lot is just rumors circulated by weird uptight growers sittin in there living rooms with tin foil on there heads. loose lips sink ships. just dont tell anyone about your grow, pay your bills on time, and when its harvest time.. just tell your buddies you bought an OZ of some top shelf dont tell them its yours.

A

astra007

"uptight growers" STFU! its from the LEO propaganda machine nOOb.

dont steal power and get that 2.000.00 down to 500.00 as that just askin for trouble. phone and talk about a payment plan, be polite.

i told them i had an electric kiln for pottery and the juice went up and down.

grapeman

Veteran
You can fit 24, 3 gal pots under 2 600 watt lamps if you have the right hoods.

Magnum XXXL with 6" vents would more then cover 24 pots and then some.

My 2 cents

I have 18 plants in my grow under two 600w HPS
3 or 5 gallon smart pots
I have a perpetual harvest set up going
when I take six down I replace them with six from the veg closet

to keep the electric down
I do all our laundry at a laundromat rather than run a washer and drier
our electric bill is very low
I run my lights at night when the rates are lower
in the summer this is the coolest tinme to run them too

I average three ounces per plant (dry) at harvest times six plants every few weeks+/-

nothing fancy just a spare bedroom grow......

picture.php

I second Grapeman.

I personally would run 24, 3 gals

You could also run 18, 5 gals if you wanna wait around for the extra veg time.

just some thoughts....

spunion

I have 11 plants surrounding a vertical 1000w. It could be a 600w even. Shortest plants directly under the light with the bigger ones in bigger pots are in a circle around the light.