What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Texas inmates paid $2 an hour to move COVID-19 victims' bodies

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Amid a spike in COVID-19 cases, Texas' El Paso County is paying prison inmates $2 an hour to move the bodies of deceased victims of the disease. While prison labor is a common practice across the U.S., the reliance on inmates to handle the task of moving the corpses of COVID-19 victims is raising questions about the ethics of such work.

The county has nine inmates who are working to move the bodies of coronavirus victims, according to Chris Acosta, public affairs director at the El Paso County Sheriff's Office. She described them as "low-level offenders" and said they are "provided full PPE by the morgue/hospital."

"The work is 100% voluntary," she added. "It's great that these individuals are stepping up and volunteering to assist a community in dire need of help right now."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/el-paso-covid-body-transport-county-inmates-2-dollars-per-hour/

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- if you get the murderers to move the bodies - then they will have some experience of the dead -

*$2 per hour! - luxury - jeez - I only used to get £1.08 per week when I was inside -

superx

Veteran
Wondering how many bodies one could move in one hr?

Sounds like slave labour, whats minimum wage in the states?

superx

Veteran
- if you get the murderers to move the bodies - then they will have some experience of the dead -

*$2 per hour! - luxury - jeez - I only used to get £1.08 per week when I was inside -

Suppose when you put it like that...

I was getting 7 pound per week, after making 1500 rubber squares to fit around car foot peddles.

shithawk420

Veteran
In my state I think it's about .45 cents an hour.depends on the job.down south in GA or FL they don't pay you shit.$2 bucks an hour ain't bad especially considering is TX.the chain gang still exists in Mississippi and I think Alabama

troutman

Seed Whore
Sure let inmates have access to Covid contaminated bodies. I can't see how that is going
to go wrong when somebody decides to contaminate guards, the jail, etc on purpose.

Don't forget I told you so. Now just wait for it.

shithawk420

Veteran
That's a good point and is pretty fucked trout.the COs were bringing it in from the start.when I was in jail recently the fucks didn't even wear masks.i was on ground zero at Stateville a few months ago.one of the biggest prisons in the world.not very fun

redlaser

Veteran
Prisons likely will be worse than nursing homes with Covid spread, already that way with some positivity rates, plus they are treated as expendable it seems.

Used to work for Dept. of Natural Resources, in the State parks dept. doing “restoration” of parks classed to a certain time frame or “purity “. Basically re creating a time frame/ look where certain non native species are eliminated and “original” types kept

Towards the end I was supervising inmate crews of guys about to be released after 10-15 years generally. 5-7 guys, didn’t get paid much, they just wanted out for the day and it was like a trial thing if they could handle it. Always told them they were free to leave, and I wasn’t going to stop anyone from leaving.

Supervised some sandbagging crews of inmates, a more popular job because it was in town. Locals would sneak them a beer every now and then, sometimes a girl would flash a titty to them.

Ended up getting better work because I wasn’t getting paid enough to supervise these guys in my mind, would only take one crazy person to not make it worth it. Guys seemed to work out full time, had arms bigger than my legs.

Veggia farmer

I thought somebody wanted to get rid of the inmates, even worse when somebody in for a long time also get a deadly "live" weapon.. Interessting.. I know I can get dark thoughts, and I have never been locked inside a cage..

Good luck Texas :tiphat:

St. Phatty

They should go on Strike.

They're about to get a lot more bodies and their work is under-appreciated.

I can understand why some inmates volunteer for time in the Great Outdoors to do fire-fighting work.

Maybe it's something similar if they volunteer for outdoor work burying bodies.

Daily deaths are nipping at the heels of 2000.

And given that we're dealing with something that tends to produce Exponential Growth (until it's bounded by lack of Fresh Meat ... WE are the fresh meat), the rise in case count a month ago and hospitalizations also ... well at the business end of the process it results in more bodies.

I have a feeling that this Thanksgiving is going to be memorable in a difficult way.

People have not been adequately coached by their state, local, or Federal governments.

So in the locales with the rising case numbers - e.g. North & South Dakota - Thanksgiving is destined to be a big Super-Spreader event.

shithawk420

Veteran
I really didn't want to talk about it.but before I was aloud to be transferred to Statesville prison a few months ago I had to get a covid test and you had to be on a waiting list kinda.i can go into more detail but it was very tough.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Wondering how many bodies one could move in one hr?

Sounds like slave labour, whats minimum wage in the states?

Minimum wage is based around what you need to survive. They already have all that covered, so they're getting $2 above minimum wage.

shithawk420

Veteran
Minimum wage is based around what you need to survive. They already have all that covered, so they're getting $2 above minimum wage.

Wtf are you trying to say? Commissary costs money and that shit isn't free. $2 In commissary is a bag of chips and a Coke.you have obviously never been to prison if you think giving them extra spending money is wrong.Prisons give you the bare necessaties.ive still got my prison clothes.absolutly disgusting prison labor at it's finest

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Wtf are you trying to say? Commissary costs money and that shit isn't free. $2 In commissary is a bag of chips and a Coke.you have obviously never been to prison if you think giving them extra spending money is wrong.Prisons give you the bare necessaties.ive still got my prison clothes.absolutly disgusting prison labor at it's finest

I have literally no idea what you are talking about, except that you are damaged.

shithawk420

Veteran
It sounds to me your saying prisoners don't deserve to make money.i went to prison for defending myself.i just happened to hurt the other guy worse than me.i didn't touch kids or rape someone.to say that all prisoners don't deserve to make an honest buck is cruel and sick.if that's not what you meant then I apologise.and yeah I'm damaged alright.you got that right pal

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Refrigerated trucks requested in Texas and Arizona as morgues fill up due to coronavirus deaths

Refrigerated trucks have been requested in Texas and Arizona as coronavirus deaths continue to rise. They are among the states that have recently seen a surge in COVID-19 cases.

In San Antonio, Texas, there is an issue of morgue space at hospitals, so refrigerated trucks are at the ready, Bruce Davidson, director of communications for the San Antonio mayor's office, told CBS News on Tuesday.

During a meeting on COVID-19 with San Antonio and Bexar County officials on Monday, San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg also said refrigerated trucks were requested, adding that just 10 percent of hospital beds in the county were available.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-arizona-coronavirus-deaths-refrigerated-trucks-morgues/

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Sure let inmates have access to Covid contaminated bodies. I can't see how that is going
to go wrong when somebody decides to contaminate guards, the jail, etc on purpose.

Don't forget I told you so. Now just wait for it.
See its posts like these that brings me here..besides the best Cannabis in the world

Latest posts

Latest posts