What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are the varieties of the new school so bad?

HAZENACIOUS

Donald, my experiences were like yours . I dont recall any Thais or Durbans having any narcotic aspect to them. Or any of the Landrace Sativas for that matter that were around during the 70's.

Haze, you probably think my views are narrow as well but to be fair all of our opinions are valid because they are based on our own personal experiences. I havent tried some of the strains you have mentioned so my experience is more limited than yours especially with you having lived in Africa.
We all have different reference points which leads to misunderstandings I think. Someone mentions 20 years ago as old strains. Another the 90's. My reference point starts in the early 70's and others the 60's. It does have a huge effect on what we all think of as good weed. As does your place in the world and what particular smuggling routes were employed at the time. And as we all know even the Landraces have evolved in their homelands so it tough to be able to really compare.

I dont mind having my views challenged at all and maybe it will force me to evolve my thinking on a subject but I agree that personal attacks should be kept out of our discussions.
Hi Rembetis,
Let's not forget that a defense is not the same as an attack, and I will defend against slander, not only Nevil but any friend whose name that I know is being dragged in the dirt. It's especially distasteful however when someone is slandering the dead, I hope you can understand this.

Folks like Ma are haters and they will always take offense to the exceptions, because they don't fit into neat little compartments. They will even resort to lies and gaslighting in their deranged efforts to distort the truth.

Nevil is proof that one man, a junkie no less could forever change history for everyone with nothing but a good idea some skill, and a hell of a lot of resolve...
There is nothing that the fascists hate more than this. That he was a junkie only makes it that much more painful for them.

Actually Rembetus I agree with you, and essentially for the most part what you are saying has been true for me, but there are always exceptions and unlike most, I am always carefully looking out for the exceptional.

picture.php

Last edited:

tcherno

Putting ourselves in the context of 10 years ago, very few local landrace or herloom strains were available for those who had no contact.

Today the offer is very wide, RSC Ace seed, irrazing, Zenhousegarden, instagram also, and so many others, so I imagine that there is a clear revival of interest in this market.

All this can be profitable in the medium to long term...
Hybrids will continue to sell, and I'm nothing against them, on the contrary, I just like to have so much diversity in my choices...

I can't wait to germinate the bubba reg de verdantGreen by example, but then I'm going to have fun with panama red hair, and who knows the combination of the two could give a very good hybrid, the main thing is to preserve these 2 strains pure beforehand.:kissgrin:

burningfire

Veteran
I don't completely disagree with Maha, although some of his opinions are on the cusp of personal attacks.. but it's clear that everyone has a bias in the effects they seek out of cannabis, if someone is trying to fill a hole left by another drug it's likely that their selection will hit that spot. You also can't judge a strain by a single plant, especially so far removed from the original parents.

We can't dismiss the effect that dutch breeding had on cannabis as a whole.. all of these 'new' hybrids are just pollen chucks of dutch lines. There's been a strong selection for yield and power of effect, sometimes at the expense of quality of effects.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I've heard plenty accounts of shipments of Thai Sticks having an extremely narcotic effect. Your description sounds the opposite of that. It seems likely the narcotic couchlock nod out effects could be attributed to opium.
not so surprised you found this post to further your position on the elusive opiated thai stick theory rev ,
but if u looked at the rest of my post youll see where i mention curing and particularly sweat curing can have the effect your referring too ,
ive experienced this on a number of occasions and have mentioned it before and you ll see it mentioned by others ,

its not opium , its just the way the pot has been cured ...

Rembetis

Hi Rembetis,
Let's not forget that a defense is not the same as an attack, and I will defend against slander, not only Nevil but any friend whose name that I know is being dragged in the dirt. It's especially distasteful however when someone is slandering the dead, I hope you can understand this.

Nevil is proof that one man, a junkie no less could forever change history for everyone with nothing but a good idea some skill, and a hell of a lot of resolve...
There is nothing that the fascists hate more than this. That he was a junkie only makes it that much more painful for them.

Actually Rembetus I agree with you, and essentially for the most part what you are saying has been true for me, but there are always exceptions and unlike most, I am always carefully looking out for the exceptional.

View Image

Yes, I understand perfectly. Glad you and @Hempy are here to stand up for him. He was a Hero to me as well and I had no idea about his personal life until it came up here. I remember ordering his catalogs when he started the seed company.

I'd say you are in good company here in the Landrace section looking for something special. We seem to be a very small but unique segment of the forum.

Take care

Last edited:

Starwea

Putting ourselves in the context of 10 years ago, very few local landrace or herloom strains were available for those who had no contact.

Today the offer is very wide, RSC Ace seed, irrazing, Zenhousegarden, instagram also, and so many others, so I imagine that there is a clear revival of interest in this market.

All this can be profitable in the medium to long term...
Hybrids will continue to sell, and I'm nothing against them, on the contrary, I just like to have so much diversity in my choices...

I can't wait to germinate the bubba reg de verdantGreen by example, but then I'm going to have fun with panama red hair, and who knows the combination of the two could give a very good hybrid, the main thing is to preserve these 2 strains pure beforehand.:kissgrin:

I think exactly like you, the variety is fundamental, in addition, I still remember how every time I read "the plants in such an area were contaminated by hybridization" I felt a pain in my chest, but it comforts me to know that the fact that they have Lost some plants gave us the push to collect local varieties like crazy (after all, what was lost in one may be in another's gene pool) and they led us to something beautiful, which is having so many unique varieties on hand, like Never before :headbange

Starwea

some here would need a punching bag to vent their anger

some here would need a punching bag to vent their anger

I find it interesting to think how someone's additions or someone's tastes can influence your selection, but I think we can all give our opinion without treating others disparagingly (unless the situation requires it and I don't think this is the case) :hotbounce

Starwea

I find it interesting to think how someone's additions or someone's tastes can influence your selection, but I think we can all give our opinion without treating others disparagingly (unless the situation requires it and I don't think this is the case) :hotbounce

addiction*

tcherno

I think exactly like you, the variety is fundamental, in addition, I still remember how every time I read "the plants in such an area were contaminated by hybridization" I felt a pain in my chest, but it comforts me to know that the fact that they have Lost some plants gave us the push to collect local varieties like crazy (after all, what was lost in one may be in another's gene pool) and they led us to something beautiful, which is having so many unique varieties on hand, like Never before :headbange

There are so many enthusiasts here and elsewhere that I don't worry, future generations will always have access to the high of the tropical strains.:headbange

And it warms the heart to have it in mind, I wouldn't quote all the people behind the pseudonyms, but I'm clearly reassured... but I don't forget the one who have unfortunately already disappeared, whether it's landrace herloom or hybrid.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
are the 'new school varities bad?'

I don't think so. Just unimaginative.
In a way, lazy.
with legalization comes more acceptance and easier access to the 'flavors' of the week.
as opposed to the stone ages, before legalization, where one took great risk and a LOT more work to develop something they (and the masses) truly like.

not saying the new school offerings are bad. they are quite potent.....
just lazy and boring due to the fact that most people just cross the flavors of the week, attach a catchy name and some hype to it, and call it a day.
much easier than traveling the world, collecting. or running 100s of different varieties in the quest to make the ultimate hybrid.

some might say that collectively, we, are all just reaping the rewards of our older trailblazers. and, they would be correct, but, to me, the imaginative aspect of making a strain has taken a backseat to quick profits.

all the more reason to keep the native landraces alive and uncrossed. sativa AND indica alike.

I don't know. Just an old grumpy guys take on it.
Sure would love to see those that we passed the torch onto bring a little more creativity and imagination to the table and stop worrying about finishing times, or even THC content, for that matter.

rock on folks. just throwing my $.02 into the mix.

-cap

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
everyone is able to give their opinion hempy ,
it doesnt matter if it conflicts with or is the opposite of yours ,
or even it it puts folks you regard highly into a darker light ..

that is how a forum is supposed to operate man .. like it or not ,,..

hey we even allow your opinion .. :kos:
Let me refresh you on icmag Posting Guidelines [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

4. Flaming/Trolling: Flames are posts intended to insult and provoke. Any Member engaging another Member/Moderator or Administrator with gratuitous, insulting and/or threatening behavior will be subject to being banned or placement on site wide ignore. ICMag encourages civil and respectful discourse between it's members and staff but has to curtail those that attempt to turn an argument into a fight. There is an 'ignore' option in every members control panel who find themselves in a personality conflict with another member. Personal grudges have no place on ICMag even if the person being attacked isn't a member.

6. Off Topic Postings: Post remarks that have nothing to do with the subject of the forum will be moved or deleted at the discretion of the moderator.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1633&postcount=1

HAZENACIOUS

Yes, I understand perfectly. Glad you and @Hempy are here to stand up for him. He was a Hero to me as well and I had no idea about his personal life until it came up here. I remember ordering his catalogs when he started the seed company.

I'd say you are in good company here in the Landrace section looking for something special. We seem to be a very small but unique segment of the forum.

Take care

Hi Rembitus,
Yes that was how I originally made contact with him, sent $5 cash in an envelope off an ad in high times. He did have a problem with Heroin, but he beat it years ago, not as bad as his detractors would paint out.

I appreciate the sentiment thank you, and will be checking out more threads over here. I like the vibe. :)

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I feel the same and will add that I also think that there is too much emphasis on terpenes. I think this may be why I get migrains if I smoke a modern commercial strain for more than 3 days in a row. When I was young, I smoked for the effects. Some weed tasted like straight up shit, but I didn't care. If I wanted something that tasted like cherries I'd just eat some cherries. My point is that it should be the high, not the terps that are in focus, but what do I know. I love my landraces!

I did get a strain last year that was absolutely wonderful. It was called Big Black and I have not come accross her again.
I totally agree. I has always been about the effect for me. I want uplifting positive effects and couldn't care if it smells/tastes like gelato, cookies, cream, whatever. Having said that, I would find it hard to vape something that tasted like absolute shit.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I hope this isn't going to be another thread hijacked by Haze arguments. This has spilled over into several otherwise great threads.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Let me refresh you on icmag Posting Guidelines [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

4. Flaming/Trolling: Flames are posts intended to insult and provoke. Any Member engaging another Member/Moderator or Administrator with gratuitous, insulting and/or threatening behavior will be subject to being banned or placement on site wide ignore. ICMag encourages civil and respectful discourse between it's members and staff but has to curtail those that attempt to turn an argument into a fight. There is an 'ignore' option in every members control panel who find themselves in a personality conflict with another member. Personal grudges have no place on ICMag even if the person being attacked isn't a member.

6. Off Topic Postings: Post remarks that have nothing to do with the subject of the forum will be moved or deleted at the discretion of the moderator.

He is not violating these guidelines above.He is even very polite.

On-topic

If a variety is boring, much has to do with the terpene profile ( too much myrcene) and CBN also in the imports.Smoked a Thai once which made me sleep within a half hour after smoking.The minty Thai were energetic, but later on Thai came on the market which was almost black with a coffee, chocolate aroma, which had a lazy effect.
Jamaican weed once which gave you flashbacks, but that was in the early 90s.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
He is not violating these guidelines above.He is even very polite.

On-topic

If a variety is boring, much has to do with the terpene profile ( too much myrcene) and CBN also in the imports.Smoked a Thai once which made me sleep within a half hour after smoking.The minty Thai were energetic, but later on Thai came on the market which was almost black with a coffee, chocolate aroma, which had a lazy effect.
Jamaican weed once which gave you flashbacks, but that was in the early 90s.

Since re joining icmag all i have seen is him insulting and attacking Nevil and his work and he has broken forum posting guide lines over n over in his attacks on Nevil it needs to stop.

Cannabis is a complex plant they continue to find new cannabanoids almost monthly personally i dont think they have a clue .

2 Breeders can start with the same plants and end up with very different plants at the end of there selections and breeding.

Most of what people grow and smoke come from NL /SK/HZ /afghan that went to Holland.

If breeders are only focused on yield and bag appeal then odds are smoke quality may not of been the main goal of the project.

Take Haze and Haze hybrids the long flowering ones are the ones i always found to be the most potent and yet in many growers and breeders eyes they are not practical .

I never saw or smoked minty Thai and what they called Chock Thai was high Land Thai it smelt more of say earthy spicy tobacco and never a lazy affect.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I have been hempy since at lest 2000 at all the sites i joined and first hempy in Icmag when it first opened i think 2004 ish.
will the real hempy please stand up ,, lol ..

Let me refresh you on icmag Posting Guidelines

your out of line here , please stick to the topic and stop trying to derail stuff in order to make yourself the centre of attention. as is often the case ,

stay on topic and either ignore people or dont respond with out of topic shit please ..

dont make this yet another thread you spoil with arguments ..

Since re joining icmag all i have seen is him insulting and attacking Nevil and his work and he has broken forum posting guide lines over n over in his attacks on Nevil it needs to stop.

Cannabis is a complex plant they continue to find new cannabanoids almost monthly personally i dont think they have a clue .

2 Breeders can start with the same plants and end up with very different plants at the end of there selections and breeding.

Most of what people grow and smoke come from NL /SK/HZ /afghan that went to Holland.

If breeders are only focused on yield and bag appeal then odds are smoke quality may not of been the main goal of the project.

Take Haze and Haze hybrids the long flowering ones are the ones i always found to be the most potent and yet in many growers and breeders eyes they are not practical .

I never saw or smoked minty Thai and what they called Chock Thai was high Land Thai it smelt more of say earthy spicy tobacco and never a lazy affect.
if this is in reference to me i do not insult or attack nevil ,

as i said earlier , stay on topic or ignore post that make u feel you need to respond in this manner ..

what is this "highland thai" you speak of ,
im not saying it hasnt been grown in hills and mountains there ,
but there was never an export of highland thai ,
the export stuff , aka thai sticks was grown in lowlands in the north east along the mekong and the surrounding provinces ,
please check geograpy and geology before making such statements ...

thailand has only a small area of highlands , its not a very mountainous country ...

please dont ruin another thread with infighting hempy ,,

either sit back and read and dont contribute , or hold your tongue and let others post about the subject at hand ,
your posts are off topic ...

Latest posts

Latest posts