What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

watches?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Rolex is an incredible piece of craftsmanship and accurate for the time frame of engineering they represent, but, they really aren't that accurate. If you have a waterproof / resistant Submariner or GMT Master you can be off by several seconds per day and it adds up so that the watch needs to be reset weekly. Thinking about getting it cleaned? It has to go back to Geneva. You get the hands and face replaced in the process and it will set you back over $1k. Another thing about the stainless is that they are so heavy that you will be wanting to take it off as soon as you get home. They are still very nice watches and should be appreciated for what they are. That's not usually why people get them.

As mentioned Omegas are really nice. Some of the titaniums have amazing machine work and are dead on accurate. They have Seamasters with gold inlay that are stunning and run on batteries.

Citizen makes some really nice eco-drive watches. The face is a solar cell so you get the best of both worlds. It never needs winding and it's dead on all the time. If it's left in the dark, the hands motor to the correct time when it sees light. Their titaniums are so light you won't know it's on.

El Timbo

Have a look at a youtube blog called "Just one more watch" he usually features affordable watches.

Homebrewer

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a brand for a few hundred dollars that won't crap out on me after a decade? Not looking for anything dressy, just something simple and practical that can be worn on a day to day basis.

A decade+ of use for a few hundred dollars? You're kind of asking a lot. If you're looking for mechanical watches: Hamilton, Tissot, and Seiko. Quartz? Seiko or Citizen.

You get what you pay for....unless you're talking about TAG or Bell and Ross or a number of other brands, lol.

Rolex is an incredible piece of craftsmanship and accurate for the time frame of engineering they represent, but, they really aren't that accurate. If you have a waterproof / resistant Submariner or GMT Master you can be off by several seconds per day and it adds up so that the watch needs to be reset weekly.

If a mechanical watch is off by a couple seconds per day, that's actually VERY good. A COSC certification is very desirable in a watch but even that allows for a +6/-4 second variation per day. Rolex is usually +2/-2.

Thinking about getting it cleaned? It has to go back to Geneva. You get the hands and face replaced in the process and it will set you back over $1k. Another thing about the stainless is that they are so heavy that you will be wanting to take it off as soon as you get home. They are still very nice watches and should be appreciated for what they are. That's not usually why people get them.
There are usually a number of local watchmakers that'll service a Rolex for about $500. Rolex recommends a service every 10 years.

In regards to them being heavy, ummm, maybe start hitting the gym? lol

As mentioned Omegas are really nice. Some of the titaniums have amazing machine work and are dead on accurate. They have Seamasters with gold inlay that are stunning and run on batteries.
A quartz Omega? No. Just don't. Mechanical ftw.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
If a mechanical watch is off by a couple seconds per day, that's actually VERY good. A COSC certification is very desirable in a watch but even that allows for a +6/-4 second variation per day. Rolex is usually +2/-2.

That was my point. When you buy an "Officially Certified Swiss Chronometer", you need to know what you're in for. That means resetting it regularly and getting a watch rocker.

There are usually a number of local watchmakers that'll service a Rolex for about $500. Rolex recommends a service every 10 years.

It won't be a Rolex dealer servicing it, so you're taking your chances. I think they have a North America service center now.

In regards to them being heavy, ummm, maybe start hitting the gym? lol

Sounds funny but not true. The stainless ones mentioned are heavy.

quartz Omega? No. Just don't. Mechanical ftw.

Your milage may vary. We should talk about beer some time - Lived in Belgium and have a RIMS.

Citizen Eco drive titanium is a really good watch. Better than a Seiko.

Green Squall

A decade+ of use for a few hundred dollars? You're kind of asking a lot. If you're looking for mechanical watches: Hamilton, Tissot, and Seiko. Quartz? Seiko or Citizen.

Eh, I kind of disagree. I have a Timex from the mid 90's that still ticking and my Dads Swiss Army is still working as well after 25 years, so I was surprised I barely got 10 years out of it. Thanks for the suggestions though. I actually almost went with a Tissot, but instead when with a Citizen Eco-Drive Chandler.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...574311&CategoryID=65993&isDlp=true&isDlp=true

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Nice watch. I had Citizens eco drive for work. They got knocked around and took a beating. Never had a problem. They are accurate as hell too. Even if you leave it in a drawer for a month, it fires up ant the hands motor to the correct time.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
I love my Raymond weil Parsifal but when I drop it in with my zenith, an old chap comes out of the back and tells me what a wonderful watch the zenith is and doesn't say a word about the rw. Zenith looks plain and dull, I really don't get it.

Homebrewer

Veteran
That was my point. When you buy an "Officially Certified Swiss Chronometer", you need to know what you're in for. That means resetting it regularly and getting a watch rocker.

I'm a watch guy so I feel obligated to set some things straight here. After 24 hours a COSC certified watch might lose 1 second. Maybe in the next 24 hours it gains 2 seconds. After a week of the slight +/- variation of time, a COSC certified watch might gain a total of 2 seconds. The following week it could lose 3 seconds - it just depends on your level of activity and how the watch rests at night. Over the course of a month or two of wear, you might find that your watch is 5 seconds fast? It could also be dead on accurate. It can vary a little but that is very impressive considering these are in most cases hand built (or partially hand assembled) time pieces. Just springs, gears, screws, and human engineering.

In regards to a watch winder, they're really not necessary (unless you own a perpetual calendar). A mechanical watch wont die overnight. If one owns several mechanical watches they'd probably find themselves rotating them in and out, maybe spending a week at a time with that one single watch. When it's time to swap it out, setting the time (and sometimes the date) takes a minute. To a watch lover this isn't even a thing.

It won't be a Rolex dealer servicing it, so you're taking your chances. I think they have a North America service center now.
It can be! It just depends on what needs done. Due-diligence, my friend.

Sounds funny but not true. The stainless ones mentioned are heavy.
We're talking 160 grams. If the watch is uncomfortable on your wrist that is most likely the fit of the watch, not the weight. It could also be the balance of the case and the bracelet - some can be top-heavy on certain wrists.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I'm a watch guy so I feel obligated to set some things straight here. After 24 hours a COSC certified watch might lose 1 second. Maybe in the next 24 hours it gains 2 seconds. After a week of the slight +/- variation of time, a COSC certified watch might gain a total of 2 seconds. The following week it could lose 3 seconds - it just depends on your level of activity and how the watch rests at night. Over the course of a month or two of wear, you might find that your watch is 5 seconds fast? It could also be dead on accurate. It can vary a little but that is very impressive considering these are in most cases hand built (or partially hand assembled) time pieces. Just springs, gears, screws, and human engineering..

You may be a watch guy but I am speaking for personal experience. I own or have owned each of the watches mentioned and have reset the time more times than I care to remember. There are even more factors, add in barometric pressure changes and temperature changes. They also affect accuracy. I did say that these watches are accurate considering the technology. The precision in manufacturing is incredible.

In regards to a watch winder, they're really not necessary (unless you own a perpetual calendar). A mechanical watch wont die overnight. If one owns several mechanical watches they'd probably find themselves rotating them in and out, maybe spending a week at a time with that one single watch. When it's time to swap it out, setting the time (and sometimes the date) takes a minute. To a watch lover this isn't even a thing.

The watches I mentioned all have dates.

It can be! It just depends on what needs done. Due-diligence, my friend.

Again, I speak from years of personal experience. You have a watch like that and don't take it to a dealer for service, that's your business. I did and that's what they do. They send it out. Mine took two months in Geneva and it was expensive. Getting it back, it was better but still not that great.

We're talking 160 grams. If the watch is uncomfortable on your wrist that is most likely the fit of the watch, not the weight. It could also be the balance of the case and the bracelet - some can be top-heavy on certain wrists.

I can't tell you how many times I got home and the first thing I did was take the watch off. You want to be a stone thrower and call me out of shape or how much it weighs - I don't care. At the time I was in the best shape of my life. This was my experience. I got rid of the GMT Master but still have a collection of several.

I find it comical that people who own these watches have such a hard time admitting that they really aren't that accurate. Maybe they are accurate by standards of a hundred years ago but the reality is that you have to reset them constantly and when it sets for a few days then it is more of a project setting the date.

Homebrewer

Veteran
I find it comical that people who own these watches have such a hard time admitting that they really aren't that accurate. Maybe they are accurate by standards of a hundred years ago but the reality is that you have to reset them constantly and when it sets for a few days then it is more of a project setting the date.

I find it comical that you're even talking about 'accuracy'. If you want 'accuracy', head on down to Kohl's and pick up a $25 Timex. See if your kids won't throw that right in the trash once you've left this Earth, lol.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I find it comical that you're even talking about 'accuracy'. If you want 'accuracy', head on down to Kohl's and pick up a $25 Timex. See if your kids won't throw that right in the trash once you've left this Earth, lol.

Way off. Your kids will hawk the watches to get the newest iPhone. (lol)

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah,im 32 and I'm the only person I know that has any clue about watches.my buddy is 34 and he got a Samsung smart watch and he got his daughter 13 or 14 an Iwatch to go with her new IPhone.im not gonna lie,the Samsung watches are nice but nobody knows wtf a Patek Phillepe or other Swiss watch Accept Rolex is .unless your a serious watch collector I wouldn't pay over $500 for something most people have no idea about.the movements going on in a $20,000 dollar watch is a kind of eccentric symphony of art most people will never understand.if I ever get money to invest in I would probably get a watch and put in in a safe. If I fall into a little spending money I'll probably get a Seiko.but my Swiss Army is still going strong.date is fucked up a little though.dont know why.

El Timbo

Yeah,im 32 and I'm the only person I know that has any clue about watches.my buddy is 34 and he got a Samsung smart watch and he got his daughter 13 or 14 an Iwatch to go with her new IPhone.im not gonna lie,the Samsung watches are nice but nobody knows wtf a Patek Phillepe or other Swiss watch Accept Rolex is .unless your a serious watch collector I wouldn't pay over $500 for something most people have no idea about.the movements going on in a $20,000 dollar watch is a kind of eccentric symphony of art most people will never understand.if I ever get money to invest in I would probably get a watch and put in in a safe. If I fall into a little spending money I'll probably get a Seiko.but my Swiss Army is still going strong.date is fucked up a little though.dont know why.

I'm not really sure why you're making that point - this is a thread for people that collect watches... (and they don't have to be expensive to be collectable)

Homebrewer

Veteran

This statement begs the question: are you buying watches for yourself OR are you buying them to impress others?

You're right about one thing: no one will know (or care) about the watch you're wearing on your wrist.

shithawk420

Veteran
Witch is why I said I'd only buy one as an investment.not to mention you go around wearing a 20k watch makes you an easy target for robbery.and I've never been around a person who didn't make it a point NOT to show off their Rolex.First thing this guy that took me to his house was show off his watches.so clearly he was into collecting to boost his ego.i collect watches.i like watches.i don't care about someone else's watch unless they wanna sell it to me for a good price.im just passing through my buddy Squall wanted an opinion on a good watch for a good price.seems like he did so that's that i guess

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
What about 1 2 1 replicas? Anyone have any good or horror stories to tell. Sites like dhgate make them easy to buy, and they seem better than even the AAA standard of fake, and yes I know what a purist would say, but for occasional wear at an interview etc. ?

I have a Chopard 1000 Miglia Edition watch Sitting in the box this was gifted to me by my old Dad. Even though it is not a Rolex I can't seem to wear this watch because it just don't fit me...such an expensive Watch.
So I keep let her sitting in the Box hehe.

shithawk420

Veteran
What about 1 2 1 replicas? Anyone have any good or horror stories to tell. Sites like dhgate make them easy to buy, and they seem better than even the AAA standard of fake, and yes I know what a purist would say, but for occasional wear at an interview etc. ?

I've heard fakes are getting so good that only professionals can tell the difference.i just looked at that site you posted and those prices are dirt cheap.cant say I'd recommend one but for the price they are probably worth checking out.they were also just similar designs.i didn't see any parent fake Chinese with Rolex on the face.