What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gen X purp vs Zoomer purp, same mechanism?

I recently saw a post on a young, well praised commercial grower's Instagram claiming science does not know why trees change color in the fall.

The purp of the Cali med days always had an associated flavor set defined by a specific sugar acid profile. Even if you botched a purp, turned it browby, whatever, the purp flavor was distinguishable

I always assumed the slowed transport of these metabolites causes the colouration, as that helps plants transition into freezing nights by lowering the freezing point in foliage cell tissue.

Out of curiosity, I decide to try some popular new 'purp' strains. I picked up Purple Punch. It smelled like flan and tasting like a clogged toilet milkshake, ina bad way. NOT PURP.

Maybe that bud had been heated as some method of contaminant remedy. I've never seen flan smells from anything but microwaved larf (we all been there). So I'll try some other purple weed by a different grower.

Jump ahead about a dozen new "purp" strains from a dozen different grows, and not a one of them has the purp flavor. So where do they get the purp color? These buds have zero sugar-acid content.

New purps definitely look.. different. Almost like a color changing ink compared to a red wine. But the thing I'm really confused about it why people are praising weed for its looks when it's essentially fools gold? That's another topic for another subsubforum

Latest posts

Latest posts