What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

twitter just permanently banned donald trump

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
so Uganda banned face book and twitter during their election and twitter acts all outraged roflmao. maybe they don't want zuckerberg/dorsey making their countries choices for them eh?

i bet every leader is looking at what Twitter did to Trump and thinking hey, wait a minute, they could do that to anyone. maybe our nations people shouldn't be using US based social media after all. even German Chancellor Angela Merkel came out against Twitters action and she hates Trump. its a very slippery slope and it should wake everyone the fuck up. tear the social media monopolies apart into national entities, or for ever be a slave to their whims. if they can silence an elected US president while in office, their is no leader in the world they won't do the same thing to if they feel it serves their agenda.

hm....facebook has reinstated Trumps account on both insta and FB.

Trump can get in front of the country and speak whenever he wants in a press conference. He has access to the biggest bully pulpit in the world and yet people act like he has no voice because he lost his twitter account.

he is too big of a coward to stand at this lectern and answer questions that will expose his treacherous fuckery

picture.php

h.h.

Veteran
you really see those examples as the same? i don't see an elected president being banned from twitter as the same thing as berry getting banned for posting nasty shit.

Merkel said, only the state should have the power to decide what is illegal speech.

I really see no difference other than scope and size. IC is social media. You/they have the same right to moderate.

I’m sure you take several things into account when you moderate, but in the end, right or wrong a decision has to be made. Hopefully the right one, but you also have a right to be wrong. One doesn’t lose that by being more successful.

h.h.

Veteran
he is too big of a coward to stand at this lectern and answer questions that will expose his treacherous fuckery

View Image

Exactly. There was pre Twitter. Many of us were forced to use Twitter as our only source of information.
Then access was severely limited to trump supporters. Lawsuits entailed to force trump to stop censoring the replies. It was recognized as official communication and not simply a private account. Trump was posting in official capacity not as a private citizen.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Trump can get in front of the country and speak whenever he wants in a press conference. He has access to the biggest bully pulpit in the world and yet people act like he has no voice because he lost his twitter account.

im sorry but it blows my mind that you don't see this situation as the slippery slope to cooperate facist style censorship that it represents. the us tech giants coordinated it, even google and amazon got in on the power move.

what good a press conference if it's banned off the whole internet?

will you only open your eyes if they do it to your heros?

don't you understand what it represents?

if it can be done to one it can be done to any and all, including your side. thats always how these things go. its the thin end of the wedge.

twitter, google, facefook all need to be split into separate national entities operating under the jurisdiction of each nation they operate in. accounts should be able to communicate cross all the twitters or facecrooks, but no more centralized authority based in the US for the whole worlds use of twitter and facecrook

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I really see no difference other than scope and size. IC is social media. You/they have the same right to moderate.

I’m sure you take several things into account when you moderate, but in the end, right or wrong a decision has to be made. Hopefully the right one, but you also have a right to be wrong. One doesn’t lose that by being more successful.

some times you speak a lot of sense, but other times you let your partisanship color your logic.

how can you even compare an anonymous cannabis site with the worlds no 1 real name platform used by presidents and politicians? seriously bro, its so not the same thing.

also berry can keep making new accounts and spouting his pedo or other crap.

twitter being based on real names and info is another kettle of fish completely.

btw, im not disputing their legal right to do what ever they want, it just means they are not fit for purpose as a free speech platform for political speech and need to be split apart so they can never do this to our swiss presidents or any other world leader. they have shown the world they are not fit to be the worlds public square, no matter how much jack whines about the free internet, his company is not part of it any more, if they ever were.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

View Image

im gonna laugh so hard when a few years down this slippery slope you are celebrating, it comes back to bite you in the ass.

whats good for the goose is good for the gander eh? but sure lets not worry about the horrible precedent this sets, as its convenient at the moment, lol.

igrowone

Veteran
it's quite simple
Trump used a social media platform because it served his wants
and he agreed to its terms and conditions
he was POTUS and deserved POTUS privilege?
no - same terms and conditions apply to POTUS
got burned by the platform? life is hard, make better choices next time

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
im gonna laugh so hard when a few years down this slippery slope you are celebrating, it comes back to bite you in the ass.

whats good for the goose is good for the gander eh? but sure lets not worry about the horrible precedent this sets, as its convenient at the moment, lol.

i already mentioned this back on page 3...

lol, they’ve effectively silenced parler...
it’s not like these are government entities
i suppose,
so 1st a does not apply...

sorta like a religious baker
and gay cakes....

but it is draconian,
and it is a slippery slope.

regardless,
trumpanzee getting the ban hammer...

from jack
vs
gaiusmarius

is the same thing as far as i am concerned.

when we sign up here,
we agree to this (private) site’s user agreement.

that is the same thing that happens on twitter.

sure, it’s a bigger platform...
but conceptually it’s the same damn thing.

but i do draw a distinction that it is a slippery slope
going forward, that is...

:joint:

Absolem

im sorry but it blows my mind that you don't see this situation as the slippery slope to cooperate facist style censorship that it represents. the us tech giants coordinated it, even google and amazon got in on the power move.

if it can be done to one it can be done to any and all, including your side. thats always how these things go. its the thin end of the wedge.

twitter, google, facefook all need to be split into separate national entities operating under the jurisdiction of each nation they operate in. accounts should be able to communicate cross all the twitters or facecrooks, but no more centralized authority based in the US for the whole worlds use of twitter and facecrook

My eyes were clearly opened on Jan 6th when Trump's rhetoric over the last four years led to an insurrection at the US capitol.

Pretty sad Trump was/is a "hero" to people.

Twitter and FB banned Trump to protect themselves from being sued. It's a smart business decision to protect their business interests. It's really that simple.

Trump is already the excuse all his terrorists are using for invading the capitol who are getting arrested. "I was invited by Trump". "Trump told us to go there".

Comparing my side to Trump's side.

My side doesn't wear nazi patches.
My side doesn't wear camp Auschwitz shirts.
My side doesn't carry the confederate flag around.

So i feel pretty confident the side I'm on.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
it's quite simple
Trump used a social media platform because it served his wants
and he agreed to its terms and conditions
he was POTUS and deserved POTUS privilege?
no - same terms and conditions apply to POTUS
got burned by the platform? life is hard, make better choices next time

ah yes, just like they banned the Chinese dictator for putting Uighurs in concentration camps, or saying corona came from the US, or his diplomats faking pics of Ausie soldiers cutting a kids throat? oh wait.....Xi jin Pin is not banned? nor are Syrian head chopper groups? nor is Erdogan, even when telling his followers to kick protesters asses, nor is any other dictator in the world, many who have said way more provocative things on twitter. so yeah, that bs, they enforce their rules arbitrarily, they will even change the rules and act retroactively if their agenda demands it.

like i said, in the end this is a great thing, it has opened the eyes of the leaders of the nations of the world. if i was a stock holder of twitter i'd be pretty un happy with jack dorsey right now. it was not smart showing the world the power you have over the leaders of nations, to shut them up.

h.h.

Veteran

We didn’t always have the internet. I watched the press conferences on tv. Before tv , they had radio addresses. It was a conversation rather that dictatives over the internet. While there is feedback on Twitter, it’s ignored. The people feel like they have direct communication and they don’t.

h.h.

Veteran
some times you speak a lot of sense, but other times you let your partisanship color your logic.

how can you even compare an anonymous cannabis site with the worlds no 1 real name platform used by presidents and politicians? seriously bro, its so not the same thing.

also berry can keep making new accounts and spouting his pedo or other crap.

twitter being based on real names and info is another kettle of fish completely.

btw, im not disputing their legal right to do what ever they want, it just means they are not fit for purpose as a free speech platform for political speech and need to be split apart so they can never do this to our swiss presidents or any other world leader. they have shown the world they are not fit to be the worlds public square, no matter how much jack whines about the free internet, his company is not part of it any more, if they ever were.

Let’s not get personal.

IC is not anonymous. You’re in competition with Facebook. Time spent here is time not looking at facebooks ads. I personally get more Information here than on Facebook. I spend more time here. I’m sure others do too. I can’t help it none of our leaders post here. I’m sure they’re welcome to. On your terms. That’s their choice.

igrowone

Veteran
ah yes, just like they banned the Chinese dictator for putting Uighurs in concentration camps, or saying corona came from the US, or his diplomats faking pics of Ausie soldiers cutting a kids throat? oh wait.....Xi jin Pin is not banned? nor are Syrian head chopper groups? nor is Erdogan, even when telling his followers to kick protesters asses, nor is any other dictator in the world, many who have said way more provocative things on twitter. so yeah, that bs, they enforce their rules arbitrarily, they will even change the rules and act retroactively if their agenda demands it.

like i said, in the end this is a great thing, it has opened the eyes of the leaders of the nations of the world. if i was a stock holder of twitter i'd be pretty un happy with jack dorsey right now. it was not smart showing the world the power you have over the leaders of nations, to shut them up.
nothing wrong with a twitter bitchfest
I'd be bitching that Trump was allowed to use the platform at all
but there weren't laws against it, or maybe there were
laws weren't much of a deterrent to Trump's endeavors
so I agree to a big picture kind of way
this is an issue that needs to be addressed in legislation
eventually that is, figuring it out will likely take longer

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
My eyes were clearly opened on Jan 6th when Trump's rhetoric over the last four years led to an insurrection at the US capitol.

Pretty sad Trump was/is a "hero" to people.

Twitter and FB banned Trump to protect themselves from being sued. It's a smart business decision to protect their business interests. It's really that simple.

Trump is already the excuse all his terrorists are using for invading the capitol who are getting arrested. "I was invited by Trump". "Trump told us to go there".

Comparing my side to Trump's side.

My side doesn't wear nazi patches.
My side doesn't wear camp Auschwitz shirts.
My side doesn't carry the confederate flag around.

So i feel pretty confident on the side I'm on.

non of that has anything to do with the principle i'm discussing. you guys will not understand till it happens to those you look up to i suppose.

like i say, Trump is not the issue, it's the principle. i couldn't care less if Trump has handcuffs put on him the day of the Biden inauguration.

thats not at all the point. its so sad to see people not able to look beyond "sides" and see things objectively.

ps: do you really think all 70 million trump voters are supporting nazism?

Absolem

non of that has anything to do with the principle i'm discussing. you guys will not understand till it happens to those you look up to i suppose.

like i say, Trump is not the issue, it's the principle. i couldn't care less if Trump has handcuffs put on him the day of the Biden inauguration.

thats not at all the point. its so sad to see people not able to look beyond "sides" and see things objectively.

Trump damn near got several members of the US congress executed.

What more principals does Twitter or FB need to remove a person like that?

The sky isn't going to fall because Trump was banned.

dramamine

Trump damn near got several members of the US congress executed.

What more principals does Twitter or FB need to remove a person like that?

The sky isn't going to fall because Trump was banned.

Whistling past the graveyard. Best to remember for whom the bell tolls (hint: it ain't just Trump).

St. Phatty

it's just Twitter.

Then again a web forum that limits people to SHORT SHORT posts did seem well suited to Trump.

He could always start his own Tweeting platform and call it Twit.com

Latest posts

Latest posts