What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Prospecting Gold! the 24 karat metal

Medfinder

Chemon 91
methods of extracting the gold from the surrounding materials.

In placer mining, the gold is retrieved by metal detecting, panning, cradling, sluicing and dredging. Using gravity and water to separate the dense gold from the other materials that surround it, this is the most common gold mining category for amateur gold hunters.

Hard rock mining is the process of using open pit or underground mining tunnels to retrieve the gold from the rock. This method of gold mining is responsible for recovering most of the worlds gold supply.

post up on this Hobby

I use buckets and hand tools to find Gold after researching geology of Rock formations to start the hunt for Gold bearing soil.

metal detectors Gold sluices..and concentrate machines to sort Fine Gold.

post up your Gold FINDS

I've been working south fork at the San Gabriel river and hwy 76 in San Diego county and have been excited with the small amounts of Gold with sluices metal detecting and panning..

:shooty::good:

[YOUTUBEIF]Hkmup9VMVzE[/YOUTUBEIF]

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There used to be Sat tee vee shows on panning / prospecting for gold, back when it was $500-600. At $1950, is the show still on? I think it was called "gold fever" or something.

Stuff was made in super-nova explosions. There are supposed to be asteroids made of the PMs. That may be how it came to the earth.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
There used to be Sat tee vee shows on panning / prospecting for gold, back when it was $500-600. At $1950, is the show still on? I think it was called "gold fever" or something.

Stuff was made in super-nova explosions. There are supposed to be asteroids made of the PMs. That may be how it came to the earth.

great post flow!!

found some great areas off hy 74 before thye fire station..will be getting samples soon:good:

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club

i used to watch that show! his name was buzzard or something like that and you could not help but get caught up in this guys stoke!
i was really interested in the geology stuff and thought the show was very cool
like medinfder said, san diego has some neat places!

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back in the 90s I was on the exploratory geology crew that started the Pogo gold mine in Alaska. At one point, maybe still, it was the largest gold mine in North America.
As a hobby, I prefer a pan, but it was FASCINATING watching a project of that proportion come to fruition. Seeing first hand the sheer volume of money that was spent to get it done. Staggering ??!
By the 3rd year I was the expeditor..I needed an office in town, so the company bought a 7500 SQ ft hardware supply store. I had plenty of room for paperwork! Lol

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
in a past life I was selling HDPE pipe in AK, and had to help with problems sometimes. On that river tht runs right by where Ft Greely used to be, I found a cool rock that was white quartz and had a 1" layer of that shiney stuff that is like fools gold. The sand on that river was full of that stuff. I heard it had arsenic. Do you know what that stuff is Subrob?

Cleaning crew stole it from my office at work I suppose, cause it went missing,

There is gold in the SE, and supposedly the indians had a huge stash of silver somewhere.

Sunshineinabag

I miss that show! Great hosts:plant grow:

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Back in the 90s I was on the exploratory geology crew that started the Pogo gold mine in Alaska. At one point, maybe still, it was the largest gold mine in North America.
As a hobby, I prefer a pan, but it was FASCINATING watching a project of that proportion come to fruition. Seeing first hand the sheer volume of money that was spent to get it done. Staggering ??!
By the 3rd year I was the expeditor..I needed an office in town, so the company bought a 7500 SQ ft hardware supply store. I had plenty of room for paperwork! Lol

Sub..thanks for checking in..

So I went out to pala..76 hy.. saw Gold ore red Rock on a blind corner with 3 feet from cars doing 50...
Used an whites Goldmaster.. 4b metal detector and it went off!!!

4 ...5 gal buckets filled and out in 8 min..
I power sluiced 3/4 bucket and FOUND GOLD/BLACK SAND!!!
Blue bowl..separator on the way...to git da Gold dust out!

picture.php

[YOUTUBEIF]oPKVhhbAD-Q[/YOUTUBEIF]

Tynehead Tom

someone say GOLD?
I have a couple hard rock claims.
These days I'm too broken to be working the claims myself but I have them both leased and making some returns each year.
Here are the samples that kicked it all off. Contains trace copper, pyrites, decomposing quartz, whole slab quartz crystals, gold and gold telluride.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
thats a mighty nice rock there t'head
about how much material did you have to move to find that treasure?

black dirt is a good indicator if you are after gold medfinder
they also have some nice mineral mines out around pala and you can find some nice tourmaline in that area

Sunshineinabag

It's gotta be quite the feeling to hold something you busted your ass for working payoff in that way. I was recently watching a lost dutchman's mine show that got me itchy w gold fever but home state of vermont isn't really chock o block w super nice gold or opal.....I digress my birthstone is emerald last time I saw a Colombian emerald I chit my pants at the price....I wish. I stick with tourquoise for now.

Tynehead Tom

thats a mighty nice rock there t'head
about how much material did you have to move to find that treasure?

The town I am close to, 100 mile house , is part of the original Gold trail to the yukon/klondike gold fields. A bit to the north of us is the Quesnel Gold complex where they are still searching for the motherlode decades later.
Working on a tip from a geezer I know, I did some research thru our ministry of mines reports. The info that led me to my find was a small entry made back in the late 1800's that identified similar rock types and small gold finds related to/or similar to the Quesnel complex.
I found the site several years ago by identifying copper veins in a surface outcrop of bedrock and finding decaying rocks that had fallen from the face. It took me 4 years of hiking and searching to find the 2 sites. Both being surface exposures of the same mineral deposits.
It is believed that a vast amount of undiscovered minerals lay between the quesnel complex and Gold finds to the south east of us , running from clearwater to cherry creek.
Tough mountainous terrain keeps the big companies from prospecting due to cost. Us little guys though..... with some determination , it can pay.
every mining season I probably see an average 40 ounces from my tenant that leases the claims and that is 15% of what they are cleaning up. This year though, due to the china virus..... only minimal work is being done to satisfy the requirements to keep the claim, as set out by the ministry of mines.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
in a past life I was selling HDPE pipe in AK, and had to help with problems sometimes. On that river tht runs right by where Ft Greely used to be, I found a cool rock that was white quartz and had a 1" layer of that shiney stuff that is like fools gold. The sand on that river was full of that stuff. I heard it had arsenic. Do you know what that stuff is Subrob?

Cleaning crew stole it from my office at work I suppose, cause it went missing,

There is gold in the SE, and supposedly the indians had a huge stash of silver somewhere.

I grew up in Delta junction, 7 miles from ft greely. There's a LOT of rivers...Delta, Tanana, girstle, etc. The Pogo mine is up the good pasture river about 30-40 air miles. Pyrite? Maybe the stuff you found?

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sub..thanks for checking in..

So I went out to pala..76 hy.. saw Gold ore red Rock on a blind corner with 3 feet from cars doing 50...
Used an whites Goldmaster.. 4b metal detector and it went off!!!

4 ...5 gal buckets filled and out in 8 min..
I power sluiced 3/4 bucket and FOUND GOLD/BLACK SAND!!!
Blue bowl..separator on the way...to git da Gold dust out!

View Image

[YOUTUBEIF]oPKVhhbAD-Q[/YOUTUBEIF]

I live above pala! For a couple more weeks anyway. Can see two mines from my front porch

St. Phatty

Anybody have opinions on Fisher metal detectors ?

was talking to a MD person yesterday. He has a Minelab and is selling his Fisher.

I was hoping for something that could get a reading on sand & gravel beneath 2, 3, 4, or 5 feet of leaves & rotten wood.

From watching videos ... the head of the normal MD has to be a lot closer to the metal piece it's detecting.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
There is a creek nearby that is supposed to have metal in the sand. To find it I bought a Fischer 1280x underwater unit. I was disappointed in that thing. Not very good at finding anything. Maybe operator error though.

Latest posts

Latest posts