What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Return of Skunk

DrJay2001

now at peace
Ok, so you'll say that Skunk never left. LOL. Skunk, though, is a much unappreciated strain.

The original Skunk was a 3-way cross of Acapulco Gold, Columbian Gold, and Afghani. This 75% Sativa hybrid is great smoke.

Our Skunk is called "Son of SAM" (Skunk Afghani Mix) or SAM for short. We didn't do the cross, a buddy did. It's a Super Skunk backcrossed to Afghani and as you can see from the first pic she's got loads of Indica in her.

By contrast our other Skunk is from the TRC boys and is called Devastator. It's a cross of Skunk, Afghani, and Shiva (garlic bud). This one is much more Sativa as you can see from the stretch.

These girls and boys have about another week under a 1,000 W MH before we flower and sex them.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

ps; I'll keep ya'll apprised of how these strains do. So far they are really healthy plants with great promise.
798Skunk_and_Devastator-med.jpg

798Devastator-med.jpg

G

Kickass skunks Doc! 2 different varieties of skunk, how do they compare high wise? or have you tried em?

I think the more indica girls look better, I will stay tuned, a skunky bloom thread, from begining to end---I like it....

:cool:

GudBud

I love Skunk, in my opinion it's the cuban cigar of canabis.. great liqorice, musky ,deep inhaling aroma, heavy taste and decapetating stone.
The long flowering pheno's are most favorable,
Gudbudl...

Last edited:
Skunk, though, is a much unappreciated strain.
no doubt i've never growing it it just sounds like average pot to me nothing special. Look good though keep up the good work let's see thoes bad boys ...err... girls in flowering. I bet they'll be fat.

DrJay2001

now at peace
You have a good point Peg Leg. Many of us have come to believe that Skunk is just "average" pot. Maybe that's because so much is called Skunk that isn't. You know like "Chronic" or "Kush".

The Devastator is about 50% Skunk/25% afghani/25% Shiva Shanti (garlic bud).

The SAM is a strain that OG mods have passed around for awhile.

Are they good? Heck, I don't know. Even after harvest, drying, and curing, it's hard to tell because a lot of strains improve when then grown from clone.

I just felt our garden needed a bit of a "kick". So we have 3 LSD#4's, a Black Domina, a G-13, a G-13 x Hash Plant, and a cross of Sensi Star and Apollo. This is in addition to the "skunks".

Since we're moving and taking plants down we are deciding on the few that we'll keep for the move. It's a competition!

Our criteria:

Healthy plant with vigorous growth
Mite and mold resistance
Flower time
Yield
POTENCY
Medical application

So, it's a race :) Will the Skunks pull through? I think they just might.

I too thought "Skunk" was just average until I smoked some great Skunk. Ask Sam the Skunkman about what Skunk can and should be.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

G

A buddy and I were having a Skunk debate just last night.

In '83,'84,'85 somewhere around there, down here in Texas there was a Skunk going around that I've yet to see since.

It literally smelt like a skunk sprayed ya. A "pole cat" as we call them down here. It was dark musty green, sticky as hell, small bud clusters on the stem,and huge dark beans the size of coconuts, not really, but giant. I currently about 25 strains or so in seeds and nothing comes close to the size. Maybe a giant LSD seed would be close. I don't know if any of you has ever run over a skunk in car but if you have that's the smell, that's what I'm looking for.

It seems with all the hybrids and skunk variations it's just a diluted generic term anymore

Now I've smoked alot of different skunks of late and still nothing like the memory of that stinky herb back in the day.

Any ideas

Teaxs Kid

DrJay2001

now at peace
I think you're right TK that most Skunk strains have been diluted. It's an excellent plant to use in hybridization.

Our "cabbage" SAM really looks a lot like the double dose of Afghani in it. That should make it stink like hell. The Devastator has the old time Skunk reach to it though.

I only smoked real Skunk once or twice. It was smooth, it stunk, and it was a real trip back to reefer time.

I used to have some Texas friends that had a rock group called "The 13th Floor Elevators". Some of them came out here to SoCal and formed a new group called C.K. Strong. At a rehearsal an old Texas boy in a floppy suit and pulled down fedora lit up a fatty that smelled like a damn gas attack. That J made it round to about 10 of us and the whole darn room was blazed.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

G

"I'll tell you this
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

The Lizard King

Love your sig. Doc

Texas Kid

Flowerman

It's been a decade and a half since I smoked any skunk. I agree, I think alot of smoke off the street was called skunk just to move it. But what got me back then going back a little further was the Mexi stuff that came up. Now try asking how that stuff is today, and you'll get a total different answer.
But will stay tune to this and keep up the great work Dr. Jay. And talk about having plenty of choices, very very nice.

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
Ohhh Texas Kid that brings back the memories. Back in 85 & 86 we were buying QPs of skunk in H-town for around $225. it would be our personal smoke for the whole summer. Man that stuff stank to high heaven.

And yeah a fatty of that in a crowd would only need to go around once and it would go out from either the resin or people would just zone and forget.....lol.

I have not smoked anything of that flavor for 12 years.

Do to security issues I could not even think of growing anything that odorous.

Dr.J I hope theose devastators treat you good. I was afraid to grow them out due to a possible odor issue.

G

Bacchus

You know exactly what I talkin about. Big D was the same way. Had to double or triple bag it just to carry in your pocket. If you could even get a joint to burn it would bearly make it around the room once.

Were oh were did that killer skunk go. LaLaLa

You wouldn't think it wouldn't disappear completely. Especially when you here about guys (old connesuiers) with 12+ year old mother plants and strains from the 70's and early '80's still in circulation. You would think "Damn there must be one plant somewhere". Hell, trainwreck has survived as a clone since the 70's.

Consider me in the hunt if anybody comes up with something close, I'm your Huckleberry.

Texas Kid

G

hey DrJay............

hey DrJay............

...........girls are really gettin after it:D so you were wise to the cabbage the whole time...you dog;)

you were right, the ghani pheno is a body blast......I dont like that at all, and it dont taste good, smells bad...........but the skunkers are really good, all fruity and sweet, one stand out(the pic) strawberry/watermelon sweet heaven, and nice up high. favorite smoke outta the whole grow. did get a lemon skunk 1 thats nice to. but the berry melon SAM is sooo good:D

real nice resin producers.........lookin forward to your grow. man after this one pheno I wish I wouldnt of sent all those beans out:( should of keep a few just cause.

the alibi are kickin azz, one bushy pheno, and two gangly sallys,kept a male for f3s, kinda growin like the C99 in with um. hope to pollinate a strawberry cough with a C99 male Im goin to keep. strawberry cruel:D ya better get moved;)

always a pleasure doc,
CBF

593SHCMfinishedbud-med.JPG

Last edited:
G

I have to agree with Texas Kid. Around that same time 82-85 there was some crazy skunk coming out of Texas. I remember my Uncle who was a very big smuggler back then, use to get this skunk you could smell through two ziplock bags down the road. I grew some of the seeds that I found in some of the buds i got. Let's just say my mom couldn't figure out the smell in the whole house from the 16 skunk plants i had going in my closest. My dad knew what it was and i had to get rid of them. Man, the smell and the high was nothing like i've seen in a very long time. I would love to know where it was coming from, before texas. All i know, is they were moving large truck loads of the stuff. Boy, was that some good skunk. Shit, i was getting $40 a 1/4 back then.
Great stuff

Sorry everyone, had a flashback to the good old days of that awsome skunk. Wonder what even comes close to that you can buy in seed form??

G

Doesn't the guy at Positronics seeds claim to be the father of modern skunk?

Maybe he'll know something or at least have something to add to our discussion.

Texas Kid

DrJay2001

now at peace
Update

Update

OMG!

The SAM's are just going bush city and looking great. They are almost ready to be flowered.

What I'm OMG'ing about is the Devastator. Yes, it's stretching but it already smells and it's still in veg! How does it smell? It stinks.

We're due to flower and sex next week and I'm looking for the charcoal filter for my exhaust fan.

All the plants had their legs "shaved" and we cloned each plant in case we find a keeper. I'm tempted to backcross some to get some seeds. What do you all think?

Yours,
Dr. jay

G

I say go with the Devastator. If she smelling like that in veg, just think how bad she'll be when she's in Flowering. Back cross her and make some seeds. Haven't seen any kickass skunks in awhile and haven't smelt any smelly skunks for awhile.
Have fun

G

I'll take some of the backcross Doc.

If you decide to do it and kick out some seeds or want to ship a clone or two, I'm in

Let me know.

Were can I get some Devestator?

Texas Kid

DrJay2001

now at peace
"Back cross her and make some seeds. "

Good idea BG! Since we're taking our garden down for the move we were just going to take a clone or two north for safe keeping. The thing is that it may be a year before we can start again.

We have a nice stock of seeds but a Devastator x Devastator could give an interesting F-2. Skunk/Shiva Shanti-garlic bud/afghani. Any and all could pop out in the F-2.

The Devastator and SAM are both under a 1,000 W MH so that stretch in the D says SKUNK.

Still, stink or not the proof will be in the smoking. It'll be quite a while before we really know. Both strains have Skunk and Afghani but which ones?

We'll have them sexed in a week or so and I'll take a good Devastator male (there should be at least one) outdoors for pollen collection then we'll knock up a branch of each strain so we'll have (hopefully) D squared and DxSAM.

The last time I did this I screwed up and only got 11 seeds. The timing must have been wrong. I'm up for suggestions on how best to make some Skunk seeds.

Yours,
Dr. Jay

DrJay2001

now at peace
The SAM's and Devastator were just put into 12/12 today. Normally, I'd have vegged them another 7-10 days but we're basically just growing to make seeds and evaluate the strains. They both stink now. The SAM (Skunk/Afghani) are the shorter ones in front and the taller back row are the Devastors. We have 7 under a 430 W Hortiluz. Once sexed all the males but one will DIE :)

Yours,
Dr. Jay

798Skunks-med.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts