What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Kali Mist vs New Kali Mist?

Q

qanabose

Curious to know how much Kali Mist has changed since the demise of the 1998 version. How much better or worse is the new Kali for the tampering? Has this strain really declined as is alleged by some or is the new version still much of a muchness for what the original was?

Last edited:

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I cannot speak from experience but it sounds like Simon added some indica genes. Hate it when he starts 'tweaking' things. He had his wares rock solid. Why fix it if it isn't broken. :confused: None the less I'm looking for a sativa and Kali Mist is at the top of my list. Dan Woody might be able to add some more info if he finds this thread but not 100% sure about that either.

need4weed

Veteran
This question has been asked before and i think it was mod that did a side by side comparison, he chose the pre 98 but only cos it had a less of a ceiling then the new version other wise the plants do look almost identical!
I dont know what it was about the year of 98 but it seems that there is a lot of hype about many strains of that vintage

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i smoked a KaliMist at the 2000 HTCC,,,,it was FUKIN UN REAL,,,,,the taste was SO IN YOUR FACE KALI,,,,BIG FURY BUDDED BALLS,,,,,,THE BUD LEFT A MARK ON ITS BAGGIE...

that won the HTCC 2000,,,,,whos clone that was is anyones guess,,,,,but let me tell you this guys,,,,,i want that clone,,,,its a keeper fo life...and that was 2000

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
old kali circa 1997 was the bomb...the best weed hands down I ever smoked..100% sativa..very lanky sticky buds very airy just like a sativa..was in the dam backpacking that year came back in 2001 to amsterdam and Kali Mist wasn't as good..was good but wasn't as strong as before..I think they added some indica to lower flowering and bring up yields..the Kali Mist from 1997 was almost like smokeable LSD....

peace
Chefboy

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
i believe there's a memeber here Joeshmoe or something he's got some original kali...
peace
Chefboy

Q

qanabose

Isn't Western Winds supposed to be the pre 1998 Kali under another name?

Not sure about this...

littlebud

all i have is pre98 so i cant tell you the difference...i know the newer version has some indica worked into it to decrease flower time and increase yield...but my pre 98 cut has been in my garden for 6 years and yields better than most all i have grown lol...just takes her a while...peace

pre 98 kali-mist in all of her glory

B420

Can't really answer your question but about 6 months ago I was gifted a cut of the joeschmoe kali mist from another grower and all i can say is that it is the best weed I have smoked so far. Interesting to hear that is is the pre 98 cut of kali mist.

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pre98 KaliMist is WesternWinds.......

Credit where Credit is due,,,Tony at Sagarmatha Seeds introduced it....even samS said, it is special and unique,he also said "WesternWinds.aka.KaiMist is different from the sativas he brought to Amsterdam....im pretty sure ive remembered this right

that Kali im talkin about was SOMETHING ELSE "not sure if it was WW",,2000 HTCC.....smokin LSD is not a bad explanation of the high,,,,,but them buds,,,they looked like furry balls,,,the hydro was the best,,,,,the calax looked like furry ball`s,,,unreal,,

the taste was sort of like a haze,,,,,but it had a spice in there,,, like black pepper,,,,but it expanded like a chili taste,,,,,defo a strong PEPPER taste

Last edited:

need4weed

Veteran
It is interesting to know that ww is the old verion of kali mist but that it has never really had the recoginition that kali has had over the years!
it would be great to see a grow & smoke report on western winds.
I picked up some beans when i was in cambodia back in 2006, the smoke was a soaring, visual high that seemed to enhance all your sences, the buds were spindly but had high calyx to leaf ratio and smelt very peppery with hashy undertones.
I might try again to see if i can germinate them again

Q

qanabose

need4weed,

Your comment about Cambodian weed is a very interesting one. When I spoke to Simon from Serious Seeds he claimed there was never any haze present during the breeding of Kali Mist and said it was based on a Cambodian sativa. He was adamant about this but I gather not too many experienced growers or breeders really believe him.

Of course, as a breeder, you never really can tell whether or not he's telling the truth. He could just as easily be preserving the secrecy of the breed or alternatively, assuming that he has nothing to fear in telling the truth, Kali Mist may be the haze free breed that he claims it is and that it simply possesses similar turpines and nature of high to haze.

Here lies an irreconcilable element of confusion but it is interesting how completely unrelated strains do sometimes bear striking similarities in the areas of taste and nature of high.

Last edited:
D

Dalaihempy

Credit where Credit is due,,,Tony at Sagarmatha Seeds introduced it....even samS said, it is special and unique,he also said "WesternWinds.aka.KaiMist

From what i know Kali mist is diffrent to WW and km is simons babby and he is a very good breeder and underated in my book by many in this community.

There are 3 vertions of KM pre 98 wich i grew wich was vintage 96 and still hold then there was a vertion i belive that is after 98 and then theres todays vertion wich is sed to be closer to the first vertion.

I have only grown the 96 vertion and must say KM suprised me very potent unique line that is very diffrent to haze.

The km i have smokes like the best pure thia the high is not like haze wich comes on fast then creeps to an intence high km takes 15 to 20 minets to come on and when it dose it lasts a long time.

The flowers are also very diffrent in look to haze but both haze and km give sativa affects but there not the same no one knows what km is made from but simon and from smokeing it and many other haze hybrids like nevilles haze and others its diffrent yet rates up there with the best of them,Also Km yields less much less to other haze lines i grew.

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
You might want to check out mali-most from MOD seeds...meant to be a combination of pre99 km, current km and some destroyer in the mix.

Description:
Breeder: Mist of Destruction

This is a pair of pre-1999 Kali Moms from Serious Seeds Back crossed with 2 new(2006) Kali fathers and 2 MOD(Pre1999 Kali x Destroyer) fathers.

I'll be growing it next year outdoors.

Also, dont quote me, but I think the major difference is that the current km has some afghan in it...

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dalaihempy said:

Credit where Credit is due,,,Tony at Sagarmatha Seeds introduced it....even samS said, it is special and unique,he also said "WesternWinds.aka.KaiMist

From what i know Kali mist is diffrent to WW and km is simons babby and he is a very good breeder and underated in my book by many in this community.

There are 3 vertions of KM pre 98 wich i grew wich was vintage 96 and still hold then there was a vertion i belive that is after 98 and then theres todays vertion wich is sed to be closer to the first vertion.

I have only grown the 96 vertion and must say KM suprised me very potent unique line that is very diffrent to haze.

The km i have smokes like the best pure thia the high is not like haze wich comes on fast then creeps to an intence high km takes 15 to 20 minets to come on and when it dose it lasts a long time.

The flowers are also very diffrent in look to haze but both haze and km give sativa affects but there not the same no one knows what km is made from but simon and from smokeing it and many other haze hybrids like nevilles haze and others its diffrent yet rates up there with the best of them,Also Km yields less much less to other haze lines i grew.

thats grate info hempy.....you seem to kow you stuff,,maybe i was wrong about tony introducing KM,,,so where does westernwinds come into it??......

i didnt know kali was simons baby

VirginHarvester

Veteran
englishrick said:
thats grate info hempy.....you seem to kow you stuff,,maybe i was wrong about tony introducing KM,,,so where does westernwinds come into it??......

i didnt know kali was simons baby
I'll take a stab but I might not be dead on. Whoever breeds/bred today's Kali Mist and Tony were breeding together. When that venture came to an end they each took a clone or seeds of what is now Kali Mist for one, and WW for Tony and went their way. I've heard Tony crossed his with a haze type male so was thinking it's not the same as the 96 stuff and that Serious put a little indica into theirs but I have an article that states they breeded that out a couple years ago to get it back to its original state. I'll see if I can find it.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cerebral Seeds was managed by both Tony and Simon. They made Kali Mist aka Western Winds together.

Tony now owns Sagarmatha Seeds and breeds Western Winds.
Western Winds has been maintained towards the longer flowering plants.

Simon owns Serious Seeds and breeds Kali Mist
Kali Mist has since been worked/selected towards the faster flowering plants.

Egos didn't get the best of their works... :canabis:

Hope this helps

Last edited:

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Because of a third person, Simon and I broke up Cerebral Seeds to form Sagarmatha Seeds and Serious Seeds. Simon is a fantastic grower and Sagarmatha wishes Serious great success." [Tony, Sagarmatha Seeds]

This is the first flower we look for in coffeeshops... the effects are,, cerebral :canabis:

Keep it real!