What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED suggestions needed friends

FliP

Those solsheets look nice! But im not looking for DIY. I may be partnering up for Rec grow license, and the leds must be UL and all so can use legally. The HLGs look nice, and im told those quantom boards are supposed to be most efficient per watt but im liking fluence spectrum more.

FliP

I see HLG is on a full aluminum heat sink, but timber qbs are not. Hlg 550 has just 3k spectrum, where 600 had 2700k option but think only 1 year warranty. timber has 3k. Timber also has higher watt draw so that mean more light?

Im only replacing lights in flower at moment, will do veg if like results, if not then lights will go from flower to veg room and ditch t5s

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Those solsheets look nice! But im not looking for DIY. I may be partnering up for Rec grow license, and the leds must be UL and all so can use legally. The HLGs look nice, and im told those quantom boards are supposed to be most efficient per watt but im liking fluence spectrum more.

I would stick with the Fluence then.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Honestly for veg...Id still say t5s are straight... cobs being better on electric\output though.

The quantum boards are better for electrical numbers, but as far as footprint they suck. Thats why I say Solsheets are good. Its just a quantum board that is spread out better.

If I really had to make a decision this sec, and I wanted to cover footprint Id probably just go with cobs. RapidLED

12 lights over a 5'x5'...... the {2700k 70cri} 900 watt setup
https://www.rapidled.com/cxb3590-5-x-5-led-grow-kit/

760 average par without reflectors is glorious over a footprint like that.

If anything you might have to pay someone $100 to put it together.. If not.... I'd say go with the HLG 550 v2 https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/lamps/products/hlg-550

FliP

Yea i want the spydrx + but due to price im going to hold off a year and go with quantum boards and or cobs. Can swap out twice as many 600 HIDs with other lights compared to fluence. If these increase yield and quality while keeping me at same or less watts used i'll be very happy and likly buy spydrs next year.

Dr. Young the rapid led link is for 5x5, i do all lighting focused on 4x4 areas. I checked out their 4x4 which is 12 cree, and also checked timergrowlights thats 6 vero 29 7gen. For quantum boards obviouslt hlg has 550v2 which says 2-3' hang hieght, and timbergrowlights has a 600w quantom board rig that can be hung much closer and uses 6 288 v2 samsung.

As can tell from thos thread and seeking help i have no idea on which tech is better. For those who said get PLC6 its out of stock

FliP

Also these lights will only do flower.. my veg is 8 lamp t5 where some bulbs are the 5500k led swap outs.

So for qb and cob should i be running all 3k?

I know they lack UV and IR so i could always put in Hortilux power veg t5 x2 per tent or a red/uv led booster which with cobs can sit in middle and qbs have to be on side

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
A Mix of 5000k, and 3000k is the norm I'd say from what ive seen. 5000k in the middle, and 2700\3000ks on the outside. If your into Sativas, they actually do good with more blue. 3000ks if you already have a good veg setup anyway. 3500k is the best all in one spectrum I believe.

You could get that, and the more you dim it the closer\more efficient you can get it.. Its only 26"x20.... Definitely get that down to 12"-16" away from plants with it dimmed. End up using maybe 350-400 watts and not even a 1\4 the heat of a HPS. https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/lamps/products/hlg-550 Plus I doubt in a couple years anything Soo amazing is gonna come out that makes you wish you waited, or held off. Its definitely SUPER efficient, and future proof enough.

I wish I had enough money to build something myself.. I'd like to go with Solstix or Solsheets style {Basically a quantum board split into strips with a WAY better footprint\spread}. Its only $20 a strip $40-60 for ballast.. 10 strips are 400-500 watts running them dimmed high efficiency mode. I maybe would even go the quantum board style anyway because if I supplemented my Lush Led at all my footprint would be ridiculous + have the UV\IR\Blues already. Just a 2 quantum board fixture would turn my strong 3'x3' moderate 4'x4' light into a SUPER 4'x4' with over 600 watts of LED in efficient mode 700 running it fullblown.

FliP

Yea id love to see the hlg550 be little more spread out.. so a strip quantum board that could sit very close to canopy would be sweet.. Spyder and other gro company have these but $1500 and $1800...get deeper canaopy fat buds id think too.. i was thinking of having my uncle help me DIY as he has all tools and electrical knowledge, but i may hold that off till next year..

My current thinking is running cmh vs hlg550..but now im thinking for two 4x8 tents to try hlg550 in center of each with a 315 3k on either side. Get the blend of 550 and more red from 315 plus uv.

My inner self keeps screaming get cobs from rapid or timber over 550 for better canopy spread coverage..but still battling that idea.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
https://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-build-designs-samsung-bridgelux/#

Go down to the 4'x4'.... look at the 4 strip build.... 1 ballast... 4 strips... EASY peasy.. https://i1.wp.com/ledgardener.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/LT-FB24B-4X4.png?resize=676%2C380

Only $500 too... so... there ya go... figured out how to get you 3 4'x4's for $1500 lol

The other builds you would have more bulbs and better spread, and could turn them down a bit to keep real close and basically spydr style.

I'm gonna go for the simple 4 bulb build when I get $500 for sure....

Koondense

Veteran
I would also go with 3 smaller tents instead of two big ones. Easier to control and access.

Cheers

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blanket statements like "LEDs won't give you 3' of penetration " are utter nonsense. You're clumping all leds together. Have you used a SPYDR X or Amare Technology CoB Hybrids? I use them both with excellent bud development 3'+ below the fixtures

Heres a photo of 3' penetration from a Lush LED. micromole per joule is 1 thing, but thats a marketing tool that ignores spectrum. but I dont think the results from this spectrum lie.
View Image

View Image

You are both correct to a degree. I should have qualified my statement by adding, "The way I grow..." Looks like the two of you are growing tree style, which I don't do. 24" below my lights is nothing but shadows. Not even algae is growing on the top of my medium. The perlite is as white as the pure driven snow.

I grow using LST and try to keep an extremely full and even canopy. Though with this last grow, my center colas took off on me and are now 12" taller than the rest of the plant. I've got about 8" left before they start touching the lights. Thank Yahweh stretch finally stopped, or I'd have some serious issues.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Talking about lumens, and par readings n the dropoff of them according to distance.. Its more about spectrum, and wavelengths when talking about the behavior\style of photon diminishing.

Koondense

Veteran
Its more about spectrum, and wavelengths when talking about the behavior\style of photon diminishing.

Actually should be about numbers, measurements and results, not ideology or brand affiliation.
So far from what I seen over the forums(and very limited personal experience), cobs and QBs rule the high numbers.

Cheers

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Any of the colored LEDs are far less efficient electrically speaking compared to the white phosphorus. I'm just saying that UV\IR have unique penetration attributes you wont find in any cob... That is pretty obvious....
I was reading earlier about blue spectrum penetrating the ocean water better than all the other colors, and how Green is actually the best color for penetrating leaf canopy... Something that people have said for a while that green is useless...

I really have no clue how talking about spectrum\colors has anything to do with brand affiliation.. That ironically seems more like a ideology\brand affiliation statement when you have cobs, and boast about the numbers cobs produce are more important than spectrum when the topic is penetration...

I was a tester for Lush, and have not linked 1 thing about buying Lush... but have linked stuff for buying cobs, quantum boards, and sol strips... so..... Really lost on the reasoning behind your malice...Nothing in your quote mentions anything to do with Lush... So your angle is concerning, and unjustified.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
More unbiased information... From Fluence whom ive stated are overpriced, yet will bring freely into a rational conversation about spectrum.

"Also, it should be noted that green light does in fact promote photosynthesis in chlorophylls, quite efficiently in fact. Recent work has shown that green light is able to penetrate deeper into leaf surfaces to drive photosynthesis in chloroplast located towards the bottom surface of the leaf, in fact, more efficiently than red light at high PPFD. As PPFD increases, light energy that is absorbed in the upper chloroplasts tends to be dissipated as heat, while penetrating green light increases photosynthesis by exciting chloroplasts located deep in the mesophyll (Terashima et. al., 2009). Additionally, green light penetrates through leaf surfaces much better than red or blue light to reach the lower canopy, which is extremely important in dense canopy production techniques which are common in controlled environment agriculture."

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Lm561, and lm301 are the most efficient.. not quantum boards... which are almost soley tied to the HLG brand {since you mention you dont wanna talk brands but bring up brand specific items}, and are not the optimal footprint for lm561\lm301. Turning the most efficient chips into a inefficient small footprint essentially compared to the F-series strips\Solstix.
You speaking of cobs when you own one= bias

Its one thing to have a efficient chip... It doesn't automatically, and mindlessly make it a efficient footprint. A honda motor might be efficient enough to produce 40 MPG in a 2,000lb car... but in a 4,000lb car..... Not so efficient...

Koondense

Veteran
Hey pal, get that attitude outta here please.
Do you have any idea what is on a qb? Seems you have no idea lol.

Biased if using cobs? Trying not to be but if it pleases you, think whatever you want. I got numbers you got nothing.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Any of the colored LEDs are far less efficient electrically speaking compared to the white phosphorus. I'm just saying that UV\IR have unique penetration attributes you wont find in any cob... That is pretty obvious....
I was reading earlier about blue spectrum penetrating the ocean water better than all the other colors, and how Green is actually the best color for penetrating leaf canopy... Something that people have said for a while that green is useless...

I really have no clue how talking about spectrum\colors has anything to do with brand affiliation.. That ironically seems more like a ideology\brand affiliation statement when you have cobs, and boast about the numbers cobs produce are more important than spectrum when the topic is penetration...

I was a tester for Lush, and have not linked 1 thing about buying Lush... but have linked stuff for cobs, quantum boards, and sol strips... so..... Really lost on the reasoning behind your malice...Nothing in your quote mentions anything to do with Lush... So your angle is concerning.
No malice to you.. I bought a LUSH light, it failed inside 6 months. In my emails to the owner (pretty sure his name was Young) he and his wife (wife was parrot and just repeated what she was told), showed little respect and was not very helpful with questions for a customer that just spent $1500 on one of their lights.. so I wasn't impressed.. If its not you, sorry.