What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malana a thing of the past?

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Greetings & Love everyone!

Has anyone visited, or tried to, Malana since the past summer? Jamlu, their local deity has seemingly ordered some quite drastic changes and it looks like foreigners aren't allowed anymore to stay (also short 1-day visit?) and the industry that has grown around cannabis seems to start being frowned upon, at least by a part of the community.

Is there still some commercial production ? What about the foreigners that have settled in the upper reaches of the valley ?

Anyone any update on the local situation?

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/hasish-village-malana-s-deity-orders-restaurants-guest-houses-shut-to-save-culture/story-LBj0YA3NtbrdGmJEln2w1J.html

Irie !

Gry

With an upcoming hydro project, and cellular moving in, I wonder how much it has to do with 'cultural preservation' .

xet

I wonder if this is anything to do with the UN damming up the Himalayas, for electricity production, built by slave labor and profiting billions to a few corporations.

There was a big article on the net about this posted a year or two ago.

Grab the Malana seeds from RSC while they last

Gedöns

Can't tell you how Malana is, but we turnt the trip there down, because many Indian friends told us it's a famous place which means it is/was overcrowded. I also felt that the way this village is discribed in Strain Hunters isn't appeling for foreigners for a quick and cheap tola. You can't touch their ground etc.
Manali/Kasol/Tosh all have been very active in growing/selling the time we went there nearly a year ago.

Greets

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
With an upcoming hydro project, and cellular moving in, I wonder how much it has to do with 'cultural preservation' .

Well, I think it might have to do mostly with the local, everyday-village-life. The influx of foreigners coming & staying, most and mostly for charas, can only become disruptive at some point.
I have no idea wether they are actually connected to the grid or not. If cellphone become a problem then Jamlu can have them banned to I guess...

I wonder if this is anything to do with the UN damming up the Himalayas, for electricity production, built by slave labor and profiting billions to a few corporations.

the UN?? Nah, mostly India & China, then Pakistan & Bhutan to a lesser degree (sheer madness, very bad things will come out of this...). The type of installation at Malana is not a dam but just a small turbine using diverted water, brings some power to Parvati valley, and Malana if connected to the grid. This project has been a problem because of the road that was built along with it. It made reaching the valley much easier and quicker than before.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2013/08/16/environment/race-to-build-water-grab-dams-endangers-himalayas/#.WxB7VyA6_IU

I haven't been to Malana myself unfortunately but a friend in Naggar with good connections up there gave me a whole lot of selected Jungli seeds from there last time I visited and I might have some RSC's too so I guess I'm good with the seeds ;)

Here's some fairly new footage. This guy did a pretty cool travel vlog of Northern India.

Nice vid, thanks for sharing. I wonder on which date this was shot, was it before or after Jamlu's order? The plants don't look as if it's October.
But yeah, honestly the place doesn't look like it has greatly benefited from the charas trade-turned-mass-tourism, atmosphere has something gloomy...

Can't tell you how Malana is, but we turnt the trip there down, because many Indian friends told us it's a famous place which means it is/was overcrowded. I also felt that the way this village is discribed in Strain Hunters isn't appeling for foreigners for a quick and cheap tola. You can't touch their ground etc.
Manali/Kasol/Tosh all have been very active in growing/selling the time we went there nearly a year ago.

Yup, very specific rules up in Malana, good to know it's still going full on elsewhere in Kulantapitha!

Irie !

Green Squall

mriko - I think it was around October. He has a few videos from that time period, including one from Kasol.

I've always dreamed of the Himalayas. I'd like to travel to lesser known areas in Nepal.

mack 10

Veteran
If they won't even take something from my hand
I don't want to go there.

To speak and act as they do to tourists is crazy.
When everyone knows they all make money off the hash game.
Smh.

THC4SIM

BananaMan and Sonic Seeds are out there now, check there instagram accounts for pics ✌��Trichomejungleseeds and sonic.seeds there been some nice pics so far.

ngakpa

Veteran
2p:

I think this is just about wanting to keep things low key

there are afaik only two cash crops in the valley: charas and apples

the village economy depends mainly on charas

there's no way they're stopping growing around Malana or elsewhere in Parvati, or Kullu

this is just about wanting to keep abrasive, insensitive outsiders (whether foreigners or Indian city kids) out of the village, to keep things low key

this might interest people:

Charas or Hashish? The Straight Dope on Old-School Cannabis Resin
https://wordpress.com/view/therealseedcompany.wordpress.com

Latest posts

Latest posts