What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stainless Buchner funnel

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I am looking for an affordable way to filter -50C ethanol in larger quantities. Been using glass buchner funnels, but want to use something that wont break so easily, as the very cold temps and extended time under vacuum begin to crack the glass pore plate. Any thoughts or guidance on something like this:

6"x12" Tri-Clamp Spool
6" Standard Pressure Clamp
6" X 2" Hemispherical Tri-Clamp Reducer
2" Standard Pressure Clamp
2" Tri-Clamp Filter Plate
2" Standard Pressure Clamp
2" x 1/4" FNPT Hemispherical Tri-Clamp Reducer
1/4" FNPT 10mm Barb

I would have a separate glass boiling flask and take off adapter to catch filtered etoh for ease of use and less parts.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
What would be the best way to mount something like this? Do they make specialized clamps or other for 6" spool?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I think your going to want a larger surface area for your filter, 2in is pretty small and likely to clog.

Thanks TH. I was curious about the surface area required while under vacuum. I had initially just thought of using stainless mesh, but can whatman filter paper be used as well? Does 4" or 6" filter assembly provide for use of standard size filters, or will all filters need to be custom cut anyway?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Seen future4200 on IG? Or his website.

Nice site! Will have to check that out more. Lots of great info. His IG seems to have some giant metal table-top type buchners, but I am not looking at that scale. The 6" x 12" spool would be over 5L, which is plenty for me.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah I meant to tell you earlier but figured ya found it. All well above my head. I think either way your system would be cheaper. Large stainless buchners run into 5 figures.

Though that's from Cole. You'd think a welder could knock one together for much less.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ummmmm, have you considered a large sock filter, vis a vis Buchner funnel? Look at some of the larger sized 1 micron sock filters from Duda Diesel, and consider what diameter of round filter it will require to equal its surface area.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Ummmmm, have you considered a large sock filter, vis a vis Buchner funnel? Look at some of the larger sized 1 micron sock filters from Duda Diesel, and consider what diameter of round filter it will require to equal its surface area.

I have not considered that. Would it work at low vacuum levels? This is to filter -50C ethanol in larger quantities and I like the material being soaked a few times with virgin ethanol to get max yield. Could the top be open with the sock filter to pour additional etoh?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
It currently takes about 10-15 minutes per liter of etoh to filter in my glass buchner with Whatman #1, as I pulverize my material and it clogs filter pores. Main goal is keep same process but increase capacity with speed being secondary. 1L buchner works great with flowers but not so good for trim. I ordered a larger glass buchner but it broke quickly. The 1L glass buchner will last 10-20 hours under full vacuum at temps as low as -70C. By that point, cracks will spiderweb all through glass pore plate and become dangerous. So, longevity is another key...

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Here is what I am thinking for a mounting system. Hollow pipe would drop down on solid rod to enable quick removal for emptying and cleaning. This would be my first tri clamp gear, as I have only used glass.

picture.php

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have not considered that. Would it work at low vacuum levels? This is to filter -50C ethanol in larger quantities and I like the material being soaked a few times with virgin ethanol to get max yield. Could the top be open with the sock filter to pour additional etoh?

You continuously drain, vacuum, or pump through the filter, which is in a stainless housing. You can make our own, or pickup one like the ones pictured in the attached link.

We made our 4" X 8" filter housing out of a 6" stainless sanitary spool. with threaded end caps.

Consider an 8" X 32" sock filter with 578 square inches of filter face. It would take a 27" Diameter face filter to equal it.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=filter+sock

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Thanks GW. Can this style of filter be used with an open top? What happens if the bag is only 20% full of material? Will air get sucked through the other 80% of pores, thus losing efficiency under vacuum?

This is a neat application, but I am not sure if it fits into my particular process, which is smaller scale. I need to be able filter 2L with the same gear as 10L, and really am just tired of my glass buchners breaking and not being big enough. Speed is my last concern. Quality (ultra-low temp extraction) and max yield (being able to drench material in fresh -50C etoh after each draining) are my primary ones.

I would make a jacket for stainless buchner out of radiant barrier material that would allow ~1-2lbs of dry ice pellets to drop around the outside to pre-cool stainless before adding material and filtering. Also, I do not mind re-filtering the collected etoh solution with a lower micron filter after initially collected. So, maybe I could use the Whatman 20-25 micron in the stainless buchner with material to speed up process and then re-filter with Whatman 2.5 micron using my glass buchner.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks GW. Can this style of filter be used with an open top? What happens if the bag is only 20% full of material? Will air get sucked through the other 80% of pores, thus losing efficiency under vacuum?

This is a neat application, but I am not sure if it fits into my particular process, which is smaller scale. I need to be able filter 2L with the same gear as 10L, and really am just tired of my glass buchners breaking and not being big enough. Speed is my last concern. Quality (ultra-low temp extraction) and max yield (being able to drench material in fresh -50C etoh after each draining) are my primary ones.

I would make a jacket for stainless buchner out of radiant barrier material that would allow ~1-2lbs of dry ice pellets to drop around the outside to pre-cool stainless before adding material and filtering. Also, I do not mind re-filtering the collected etoh solution with a lower micron filter after initially collected. So, maybe I could use the Whatman 20-25 micron in the stainless buchner with material to speed up process and then re-filter with Whatman 2.5 micron using my glass buchner.
I've never tried a sock filter with an open top, but ostensibly both the air and liquid would find the easiest way through.

As soon as you blocked off the source of air, it would ostensibly have only the liquid and vapors to pull through.

If you proceed with a face filter, you can reduce the load on the final filter with glass beads.

killa12345

you guys should check out beaker and wrench on IG. They make a stainless filter system which looks pretty awesome.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They make ceramic Buchner funnels. Would ceramic hold up better than glass?

Probably depends on the ceramic. Alumina ceramic tolerates thermal shock and uneven temperatures better than glass and what our Buchner is made of.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
GW - Most appreciate your guidance on the sock filter, but I think that I am going to try and replicate a standard buchner in stainless. I finally have my process dialed in and don't really want to make any changes.

Here is what I am presently thinking about:

picture.php

Any thoughts? I plan to use this as well to hold down the filter paper and (with a 100 micron screen) provide some pre-filtering.

https://www.hardwarefactorystore.co...eel-3-tri-clamp-filter-plate-with-6mm-hole-6/

Latest posts

Latest posts