What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nanopore DNA sequencer

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Just found out about this DNA sequencer that seems like a break through for the cannabis community, for breeders(identify pathogen resistance at home! I would have posted this in breeders lab but it wouldn't let me for some reason), growers and smokers
From what I see it's seems to be about a 1000$ for the start up.
Anyone testing these minIon setups yet?
Heres some details I will copy and paste from the site

http://nanoporetech.com

Nanopore sensing technology is fully scalable and the high-throughput, high-sample number PromethION is currently being prepared for release in the PromethION Early Access Programme (PEAP). Oxford Nanopore is focused on making DNA based analyses easy enough for any user and so we are working to simplify the sample preparation and data analysis processes. For sample preparation this includes a 15 minute sample prep kit, and VolTRAX (in development), a rapid, programmable, portable, disposable sample preparation device designed to convert complex samples such as blood, saliva or environmental samples directly onto a nanopore sensing device.

Metrichor offers analysis solutions coupled with nanopore sensing devices, with the goal of making analyses accessible to people without bioinformatics skills or even biology qualifications. Nanopore devices can be adapted for the analysis of a range of biological molecules including DNA, RNA and proteins.

Nanopore sequencing data starts streaming immediately, rather than being delivered in bulk at the end of a 'run'. Real-time data streaming allows immediate analysis of the data, enabling users to perform assembly and mapping / alignment quickly, even during the experiment. Rapid identification of organisms in the sample is also possible - users recently reported identifying bacteria and markers of antimicrobial resistance within 5-10 minutes. The dedicated workflow 'WIMP Bacteria, Virus and Fungi' gives real-time species identification and characterisation.

The MinION weighs under 100g and can fit in a pocket. It is powered by the USB on a laptop and is uniquely transportable into the field. The MinION has been used for scientific analyses in remote destinations including plant sequencing in a remote National Park, Zika analysis in a laboratory on a bus and species ID in a jungle in Tanzania.

New, simplified library preparation only requires standard lab materials. Oxford Nanopore is also preparing to release automated sample and library preparation devices to simplify the workflow further.

'What's in my pot' (WIMP) is a workflow that enables MinION users to identify pathogens, fungi, viruses or archaea in complex samples in real time.

Analysis begins as soon as sequence data starts being streamed (a few seconds after the experiment starts). Each read of streamed sequence data is compared against a database of microbial species, and an identification is made. At the same time, WIMP plots and updates a taxonomic tree of all microorganisms found in the sample

sadpanda

Analysis begins as soon as sequence data starts being streamed (a few seconds after the experiment starts). Each read of streamed sequence data is compared against a database of microbial species, and an identification is made.
So the question is: does this actually give direct analysis results of your sample (ie. is this a LEGIT product) .... OR does it simply call out to the internet to ask a server "what's a known profile we've tested that seems similar to this sample that our digital nose is sniffing by heating?" ... like the MyDx 'analyzer' does, which itself is a complete scam.

I guess a simple test is this: does the device give you results about your sample without calling out to the internet?

Please note I'm not saying that this Nanopore DNA sequencer is good or a scam either way as i know nothing about it, but it'd be a good idea to look into this aspect to find out first! and hopefully it's legit because there is a definite need for real analysis devices

Agronomist

Is this some kind of portable DNA sequencer?
Where is the PCR?
How do you extract the DNA from the sample?

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
My question is: does anyone have experience using any nanoporetech products? If yes, is it as simple to use as they claim (someone with no knowledge background of biology can use it)?
I mainly just found it interesting and wanted to know how many people even know that this is an affordable breeding tool (if it isn't a complete scam)
Check out this

With 256 channels per flow cell, SmidgION will be smaller than the company’s existing MinION device, and is expected to come to market in 2017.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 24

Genes

Almost sounds like another too good to be true from the future device. Like the Mydx all over again.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
You're not the first to suggest this.
I wish everyone did research before assuming new technology is a scam.... Just wait... I bet this is the next big thing for plant and animal breeders.
DNA sequencing is new technology as it is. Is everyone here, just here to comment how it's a scam?
30 years ago we didn't have means to test DNA......
Do you guys all think that we are done discovering new technology? 30 years....and you think all is known.

http://www.bbsrc.ac.uk/documents/1607-dna-timeline/

Last edited:

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Here's a good link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1672022915000133
"Biological nanopores have been widely used in single-molecule detection, disease diagnosis, and DNA sequencing. Recent advances in nanotechnology have facilitated the rise of solid-state nanopore sensors [11] and [12]. In combination with other devices such as a field-effect transistor, these synthetic nanopores can be further integrated on a circuit chip, which offers the potential for miniature, portable DNA sequencing devices. More recently, hybrid nanopores have been proposed to take advantage of the features of both biological and solid-state nanopores [13]. Nanopore DNA sequencing technology is developing rapidly. Although it has a very high error rate (over 90%), an instrument based on nanopore technology that sequences DNA at the scale of a single molecule is currently available on the market [14]."

Genes

Not a skeptic at all. I actually was one of the first 100 in on the mydx preorder. Just learned my lesson recently. No need to be on the front line of this one. I'll let someone guineapig it. If it works like it says, it WILL be worth the retail price. Easy come easy go, but I won't easy go on this one! I will look into this more later for sure though. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

phdilly

Nanopore will sequence, using it for breeding will require lots of upfront work

Nanopore will sequence, using it for breeding will require lots of upfront work

Great thread, it makes sense to want to sequence in house and when the upfront cost of one of those units right around 1K it makes you think you should get one and use it for marker assisted selection in your breeding experiments. The quick answer is yes, ONT nanopore sequencing works.

The major misconception is that it is not sufficient to blindly sequence the genomes of your cannabis plants. Sequencing a genome is the easy part, especially with a mobile devise that plugs into your laptop.

I am sure we all know that in order to breed, you must be selecting for a particular trait of interest, otherwise what's the point? Well same applies to the genomic data that comes out of these little sequencers. One must first identify and select the regions of the genome associated with the trait of interest, characterize the variation in your population and then develop diagnostic tools that will aid in your efforts to identify the emergence of the trait earlier in development so you can streamline the process.

That's the hard part. My current opinion, Minion is not the answer to marker assisted selection, unless you are able to capture a targeted region of the genome which is associated with your traits of interest and you can use it to provide diagnostic markers for your traits.

Peace