What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning problems- stem deterioration

Yabadabadoo

Normally have good success with rooting. Last three times clones have deteriorated. Tried with slit and without. Am using proper ph water. Used different variance s if moisture. Seen a bit more condensation than usual. But clones still dying. Using coco coil. IMG_20151008_230752.jpg

IMG_20151008_230726.jpg

IMG_20151008_230823.jpg

IMG_20151008_230825.jpg

IMG_20151008_230842.jpg

Unclecrash

You keep believing that with your small plants and you wont be growing anything fast. Grab a handful of coco and ring it out withone hand and thats what you want for trying to clone in coco.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Normally have good success with rooting. Last three times clones have deteriorated. Tried with slit and without. Am using proper ph water. Used different variance s if moisture. Seen a bit more condensation than usual. But clones still dying. Using coco coil.
It looks like:

1) Some kind of fungus - temperatures or
2) The coco was not flushed; you used some kind of nutrients

I've cloned with canna coco straight out of the bag, because it generally doesn't need to be rinsed. (Still rinsing before use won't hurt though.) The only time it didn't work was when I tried out some very mild nutrients. For rooted clones and seedlings, a fertilizer with NPK 3-8-12 at a low EC of 0.8 seems to be ideal - even more root development than with a root stimulator, no purpling of stems and thick stems mean that the seedlings don't need support.

If you don't use perlite with the coco, you need to water much less. After roots show, letting the coco dry out a little between waterings is not only good for the roots, it may be necessary to get extra oxygen to them.

Intimea

To me, this is a temperature problem...probably your air temp is higher than the sub temp. (search for phityum)

When cloning, i got the same problems and solved with 1 heating mat.
Since then, i put the sensor of the thermostat in the cup and not suspended.:2cents:

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
picture.php
picture.php
Use the clone king if u want quick results.i have over 50 cutts all rooted except for 2 autos I tryed.within 5 days u will have tons of roots

Yabadabadoo

I am going to get a thermostat, I already have heat mat. Am going to try again. Summer is over now should be easier to keep the temps down. Thanks for all the suggestions, advise etc..... I work a lot sorry I could not respond sooner.

brandonwalsh420

had the same problem trying to clone with an ez cloner, switched to solo cup with canna coco soaked in 1/3 strength nutes, squeeze out excessive moisture, dip clone in clonex gel, plant taking care to pack around the stem, tape on a clear solo cup with NO HOLES to the top of each and leave for 5 to 7 days. theres enough moisture in the cups to create humidity for the 5 to 7 days, pull off clear cups and give each cup just a sip of water at first. 100 percent success rate the last 3 times...

B

bonecarver_OG

guys.. try to make clones without clonex GEL. many times the gel actually makes it harder for cannabis to absorb humidity...

i use recycled coco when cloning, and no hormones. i just cant seem to fail that way.

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
OP

Get yourself some Rapid Rooters...and thermostat + tray/dome+ Bontone rooting powder from home depot.

Never let them get over 82...78 is ideal. Put some water in the bottom of the tray. Dome em up until you see roots. Make sure the room they are in is cooler than 78 degrees. Warm and wet is a recipe for stem rot..which is what you got going on. Get new trays and domes too..that shit is gnarly.

Cheers

tpM

OP

Cloning gel never worked well for me.

Now that I use a heat mat in winter, a dome for seven days & root powder, I've had 100% success cloning.
Although I grow in a coco mix, I use hydrogro blocks for cloning. Much easier for me to get the right amount of moisture right.

I'm intending to make a bubbler for next 'season'. They give incredible rapid root growth.

Latest posts

Latest posts