What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Classic Coco Overwatering?

doob

Being fed 1.2EC 6.0ph daily to run off. Using hard tap water 0.6EC. Canna coco A&B. They are 3-4 weeks old apparently. I am thinking they are just over watered and havent developed enough to keep being fed daily?

Z

Ziggaro

Is it hot in there? Looking at the leaves I wonder if you have some hot spots under your light. The ones in the middle are pretty yellow up top, but the shaded foliage looks green.
Your medium doesn't appear too wet from the pics. Overwatering for me usually results in thin weak stemmed plants in coco with small root mass. The leaves usually appear healthy otherwise..
Looks like your leaves are twisting a bit. Have you successfully used that water before in coco? I'd worry about pH drift due to the hardness of your water.
Also, if half of your TDS is coming from your tap water, you are not giving them much nutrient. They can't even use a lot of the minerals in your municipal water supply.

doob

Thanks for the reply. The 600w is 2 foot above them, large circ fan blowing on plants. I have grown successful plants using the same EC and i live 5 miles from him so must be same water?

Last edited:
Z

Ziggaro

It may be the same but still good to check. Even the same muni supply can vary by age of plumbing and distance from treatment centers. Either way I would start with much better quality water. I'd also feed them more nutrients but less total ec. Should be using at least .8 to 1 ec in coco

Scrappy-doo

That looks more like ph related issues. A quick look at the roots would show if they are being overwatered.

oti$

.6 is pretty shitty water. With coco you want to make sure the roots have filled out the pot before watering every day. How long have they been in those pots? With water like that, a ro filter isnt a bad idea. I've never had to use one, but my water is really good. The leaves look like they could be a little droopy possibly. From over watering, but indicas sometimes have dumbo ear lookin droopy leaves...i have a couple now. If they are fairly recent transplants maybe let them dry out a couple days between watering for the next week and let the roots fill out. Try to get a whole house filter or an ro filter or even get some water from one of those water machines at the grocery store and try feeding them @1.0-1.2ec with fitered water so you are sure anout what they are getting to eat. Good luck!

oti$

The twisty crinkle leaves do look like a ph issue. As stated above your poor water quality could be affecting ph in addition to other potential problems. Do you mix fresh nutes every watering?

doob

Thanks everyone.

They were potted up a week ago, up to then they were given rhizo and looked healthy as I grew them haha. Mate has potted them up and fed daily. He mixes 20litres, 25ml of A&B which makes a total ec of 1.2, ph is done to 6.0 every time. He has fed daily to run off. And to be honest that's what I am doing and mine are loving it. Temps are between 21-26degC so they are fine. Meters are both calibrated also

carson

It sounds like you know what you're doing and are happy with the outcome. If they are loving it what is the question?

doob

To be honest the only thing it can be is the light. 600w hps 2 foot away, now over 3 foot. As I thought that is safe distance obviously not. Only other difference to me is I am watering every 48 hours where as he doing it daily hence I thought the myth of not overwatering coco was on show

In my opinion that's definatly overwatering mate. Your on the right track watering every 48 hours. You'll start noticing them drying out a bit between waters and perking up soon. Drowned roots are drowned roots doesn't matter what medium the are in. It's good to leave them 72-96 hours first couple of waters with a low ec to let the roots fill the pot out. Some people leave them a week! Tell tale sign of overwatering in early stages of veg in coco is when you water them, if they give you a bit of droop you've watered them too early and leave it a bit longer next time. Once the roots are established your laughing. It's worth moving your light back where it was before, it's perfect distance and the heat will help dry the pots out quicker.

Hope this helps.

doob

Thanks for your reply. That is where I was confused, but I have only ever used 250w CFL and HPS for mine, 600w to me is an animal haha. He said he left his hand there for a minute and was fine as well.

He sent me some pics after lights off, soon as i see them yesterday i said stop feeding daily. These have been left 48 hours and my coco has never been this dry. They look a bit better, have told him to keep light high for now and feed 1.3EC, and see what they saying tomorrow

Oh and he chucked the worst one, he couldnt look at it no more. Was the only green house seeds plant haha, he said is was "A cabbage" :laughing:

If you pick them up and there's still a bit of weight in there your fine. It'll take about a week to sort itself out. Keep en eye on any new growth from this point, it should be a lot more perky.

Hempsmoke

in my opinion a ph of 6 is too high, i would recomend a ph between 5.6 - 5.9 (i mean even the canna bottle states values below 6 if im not wrong)

and i doubt greenhouse is responsible for you (or your homie for that matter) not being able to set the ph right. Just sayn.

btw. have you tested your ph testing device? could be also a calibration thing

Edith says:

so i checked the canna bottle and it says ph between 5.5 and 6.2, this doesent mean it has to stay at a constant value tho, it should swing between those numbers

Seedlin

Definitely buy the calibrations fluids and check your meter. Had it happen to me, bought a new one unnecessairly! Double check dude and I dont think you are over watering, I feed my 1qt of FloraNova Bloom and CalMag Plus in RO water at 5.8 daily, I'm in Wal Mart air pot bags and about 5 lbs of pure coco. They , other than a broad mite problem that hit em hard are doing fine...

doob

Thanks for all your replies.

These plants are healthy and doing well now. Still being fed 1.3EC 6.0ph daily, only difference is the 600w HPS has been moved higher... I have told him to increase the feed to 1.5EC after he sent me this picture at end of last week.

They needed a wet/dry cycle as well which probably didn't help, but the light was the cause of the dodgy leaves. The hard tap water works fine with canna, ph6.0 is fine. I use this all the time with no problems. His meters were calibrated also.

I am a big believer of keeping them lights high, and he was doing the hand test trying to keep them low

Z

Ziggaro

I don't think you want to let those pots dry out too much. Keep them moist. Those stems look pretty nice I'd bet your roots are too. Overwatering was never the problem, as you can see after you raised your lights. I'd still consider finding a cleaner source of water, whether you are currently having problems or not. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured ;)