What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

home made cloner

J

J.C.grower

high guys so i decided that it was time to cut some clones , so i made a cheap ez cloner out of a ziplock container. this is how it turned out. i use an air pump, an airstone, and a 60 watt cfl. i also leave an open container of water next to it, so it creates some humidity. let me know what you think.

:thank you:
Stay fligh and high:joint:
-JC

johnipedestran

1%
Veteran
ditch the open container of water.

also, I can't see from the pic, but you want to make sure the stem is out of the water, and is just getting wet from the bubbles bursting.

put a timer on that pump and have it run for 15 minutes then off for 45. I have found that to be much more effective than leaving the pump running all the time.

you can easily make something like this larger with a larger container and bigger airstones/bigger pump

peace
jip

tube dude

You might want to get a smaller cfl.If you give a cutting too much light it trys to grow leaves insted of roots. I have a small homemade cloner too and have found the 13 watt bulbs work the best for me.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
yeah, 10-20 w are enaugh for cloning even more than one plant. and not as close as you would put it in veg, also.

as to the comments from the others it's true imo, but i have had friends that did everything different and that worked for them, just try it your way and if it works for cool, if not go a different rout.
GL

Larc

It's pretty hard to mess up a clone. The reason we all use certain methods is to make them root faster (5-10 days is good). A clone grown improperly can take 4-6 weeks to root.

So my advice is to take read everybody's advice and follow it =D i.e. less wattage and move the bulb further away.

GL!

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I started cloning with an 11w cool white cfl placed 15-20 cm away. was more than enaugh for 6 clones in an food container. (made holes in the plastic cap)
10 to 15 days later they had roots. and 1 week after transplanting them they were like this(3 weeks from cutting):

13932E_2.jpg

DevilWeedSeeds

Private Breeder
ICMag Donor
That light is pretty big, the leaves will start to turn yellow if the light is too many watts. The clones will start to grow without roots.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
It's pretty hard to mess up a clone.

Screwing up clones may be the single easiest thing a grower can do. Following instructions to the letter may well kill everything you have.

Used correctly, my bubbler has a 100% death rate. Used "wrong" 100% success. Until I got new water... now I'm back to 100% death.

Punchline, adapt. If your clones are dropping like flies, you're not alone, don't feel bad. Just hang in, experiment, adapt.