What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DWC Table

mushhead

Has anyone done a DWC table grow? It is something that I just thought about and was wondering if someone here has tried it.

If you aren't following what I'm saying, imagine this. A 4' x 4' (or any size for that matter) ebb and flow tray and instead of doing ebb and flow, do deep water culture in it. Fill it with water and nutes, add airstones, a circulation pump; voila. No multiple hoses running everywhere.

Anyone here tried that? I did a quick search, but nothing came up under "DWC table"

Thanks.

Edit: changed title to reflect what I'm actually looking for info on.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Thats called SWC, shallow water culture. Put it on the floor, on a table, on a credenza, anywhere you like.

However, the smaller the res the faster the disaster. I submit a table throws out valuable space and buffering capacity. Go with a deep tub on the floor and it's top isn't that much shorter than a table and now you have DWC instead of SWC in the same space.

mushhead

Yeah, so essentially DWC monotub. I was thinking for maintenance it would be simpler, more root room, less pieces, etc.

Has this been done before? I'm certain someone must have done it somewhere. Can you recommend some search terms to find threads on it?

flick

Has anyone done a DWC table grow? It is something that I just thought about and was wondering if someone here has tried it.

If you aren't following what I'm saying, imagine this. A 4' x 4' (or any size for that matter) ebb and flow tray and instead of doing ebb and flow, do deep water culture in it. Fill it with water and nutes, add airstones, a circulation pump; voila. No multiple hoses running everywhere.

Anyone here tried that? I did a quick search, but nothing came up under "DWC table"

Thanks.

Thats what I mostly did when I grew Mushhead,

Used kiddie pools with powerheads and/or airstones, built 4x8 and 3x6 res's with boards and pool liners which also used powerheads and/or air stones. Never used a table though since it was just more to build. I just put em on the floor. The kiddie pools were about 10 to 12" high and the built ones were 8" to 12" high. Most of the res's held at least 50 gal and it worked for me.

mushhead

Thats what I mostly did when I grew Mushhead,

Used kiddie pools with powerheads and/or airstones, built 4x8 and 3x6 res's with boards and pool liners which also used powerheads and/or air stones. Never used a table though since it was just more to build. I just put em on the floor. The kiddie pools were about 10 to 12" high and the built ones were 8" to 12" high. Most of the res's held at least 50 gal and it worked for me.

That sounds exactly like what I was thinking. I misused the term "table" in my first post, I should have said "tray."

I'm looking at a 100 gal Reservoir, (53"x53"x13") SKU: HGRES100B (from hydrofarm, didn't link because I don't know if linking to outside sites is allowed around here) for under each 1000w light.

Assuming 1 month from cutting (clone) for veg, how many plant sites in that space do you think would be best? 16 (in a 4x4 pattern)? Assuming 8 weeks flowering.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Yeah, so essentially DWC monotub. I was thinking for maintenance it would be simpler, more root room, less pieces, etc.

Has this been done before? I'm certain someone must have done it somewhere. Can you recommend some search terms to find threads on it?

People do it all the time, some even do multi strains in a single tub (though I wouldn't recommend that one) For search use Search/Advanced Search/Search titles only. "DWC" shows pages of links. "DWC multiple plants" brings up a couple but, they're essentially this thread, all questions little answers.

I'd use "DWC" and just poke through them. Sorry I can't narrow it further.

benjuanman

Veteran
Hey mushhead do a search on a guy by the name of "singularity" he made some 4x4 SWc tubs with 16 plants per tub. I'm sure he's got some of Serious's stock in there so check out their sub-forum as well. good luck with it.

G

Groseph

Ive done similar before but had the water flowing through the table. Entering at 1/2" one side and overflowing out of the other side via 1" fitting. I called it recirculating SWC and it worked great using diffuser hose in the trays.

Then I wised up and realized there is no need to add air when introducing water and then removing it can do the same job..easier.. ebb & flow.

If your setting up a flood table... why not just flood it. Better yet.. do it medium-less using netpots/neoprenes or pool noodles. Flood often.. like ever 90 minutes for 30min durations.

No noise, water temps not an issue like in DWC.. none of the pitfalls of dwc with all the simplicity of ebb and flow only if you go mediumless you can still watch roots grow like in dwc! They'll create a mat of roots suspended in air below your tray lid.

BattleAxe

Hey mushhead do a search on a guy by the name of "singularity" he made some 4x4 SWc tubs with 16 plants per tub. I'm sure he's got some of Serious's stock in there so check out their sub-forum as well. good luck with it.

This is who I was going to rec to him. I think he is the one that made a custom lid for the flood tables, cut holes out and placed netpots filled with hydroton in them.

flick

Ive done similar before but had the water flowing through the table. Entering at 1/2" one side and overflowing out of the other side via 1" fitting. I called it recirculating SWC and it worked great using diffuser hose in the trays.

Then I wised up and realized there is no need to add air when introducing water and then removing it can do the same job..easier.. ebb & flow.

Prior to using what I described above I used ebb /flow Groseph and growth was great.

If your setting up a flood table... why not just flood it. Better yet.. do it medium-less using netpots/neoprenes or pool noodles. Flood often.. like ever 90 minutes for 30min durations.

I quit using ebb flow and went to DWC or SWC because of power failures. In an ebb/ flow a power, or worse a pump, failure for 12 hours during flowering would be a catastrophe. I never lived with my grows so this was a problem since every other day visits with sometimes 3 days between was the norm for me. The first time I walked into the garden and found there had been a power failure was the last time I used ebb /flow.

No noise, water temps not an issue like in DWC.. none of the pitfalls of dwc with all the simplicity of ebb and flow only if you go mediumless you can still watch roots grow like in dwc! They'll create a mat of roots suspended in air below your tray lid.

If I grew in my house I’d probably go back to ebb/ flow simply because it was the best growth I’ve seen other than a garden I had outside once.

btw.. I didn’t use medium other than 1.5” rockwool cubes that the cuts were rooted in and net cup for the cube in the DWC set ups, just hung the roots in the res. Also have used many tubs like FB spoke of.

mushhead

Is recirculating dwc the ones with multiple grow sites that the solution is then pumped through?

If it is, I was thinking of that concept but one big monotub, with a pump to move the water around.

flick

Is recirculating dwc the ones with multiple grow sites that the solution is then pumped through?

If it is, I was thinking of that concept but one big monotub, with a pump to move the water around.

If you did that you could just use an aquarium powerhead ($20 to $30). It's a continuously running submersible pump with a tube that sucks air into the water flow it creates. 2 of those created a nice aerated whirlpool in a large (7') kiddie pool.

mushhead

If you did that you could just use an aquarium powerhead ($20 to $30). It's a continuously running submersible pump with a tube that sucks air into the water flow it creates. 2 of those created a nice aerated whirlpool in a large (7') kiddie pool.

So it doubles as aeration and water movement? That sounds perfect. I'm aiming for simplicity.

jm420

Veteran
continusly running pumps= heat Thats bad in dwc or swc,theres nothing simple once RR sets in.
18 galon totes are the best bet all you need is an airstone and gh micro and bloom your off and running.
Ive said a thousand times here read FB thunk diary.
no pun intended but if you want to get your feet wet start with a kidde pool or rdwc but my advice is keep your feet dry and use a tote to start and read the thunk diary besides being usefull its entertaining

Kiss= totes , airstone GH micro and bloom and all the other crap that goes with growing hydro .leave the kiddie pool in the back yard for the kids.

K

krest

Get a big chiller. 1/4 or 1/2 HP depending on how much water you will be using. I use the 1/2hp chiller for approximately 150gallons. Root rot sucks.

Latest posts

Latest posts