What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

i wanna be like scarface!

Demagogue

Ok not really. Cocaine isn't my thing but I do wanna get my micro grow, well growing. Things I have right now are 1 30 gallon rubbermaid tote. 1 3 light vanity fixture. 1 pc of angle pvc pipe with an inner diameter of 1.875". A safty blanket (not sure what its called but super reflective) and I'm waiting on a 120mm cpu fan. A cyclone something, I dunno. . Anyways. I have a general idea of what I wanna do, but I am open to and in need of advice. I was planning on 3 42 watt cfls. Passive intake with the pvc pipe. I didn't want to go 2 30 gallon totes stacked but its looking like I have no choice. Unless I find another tote close to or same dimentions of the 30 in lenght and width. My. Goal is to get around 100 grams with some lst and maybe try sog method. That's running 6 plants. If I only run 4 then maybe 80 grams. Hell id be happy with 20 but got to have goals! Thanks for l:):tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::)ooking and thanks for any advice >:)

Demagogue

Ok so yesterday I lined the tote with the safty blanket. Bought 2 42 watt cfls and put them on the ends of the fixture and a 13 watt cool white in the middle just for now. I also planted 7 bagseeds and put them in the box just as a test to see what happens. Don't plan on keeping them. My only concern is after leaving the lights on for an hr so I went to check on the box and I smelt a slight hot rubber or hot wire smell. Nothing felt hot. Nothing was smoking. So I dunno. I turned it off so we could go out and me not worry about it the whole time or come back to a disaster. Need to look into it more tonight. And for some reason I swear one of the 42 watt lights is brither than the other by a good bit. I'm going to work on it more later tonight. Ill keep it updated

what are the sizes of your intake/exhaust? what are your temperatures inside the cab? ambient temps in the room? Humidity? gotta have more details before we'll really be able to help you out. Maybe a few pics would be good. The lights that you have should be good, but if your smelling that plasticy smell, your probably way too hot in there. Good luck to you Demagogue! Just ask questions and you will get the answers!!

GreenGull

It would definitely be easier to help if we had some pictures. Everything sounds good in theory. Let's see it in action!

if u smell sumthing it is burning or melting... not good under any condition. check and recheck everything to find where the smell is coming from without a fire breakin out...

btw. if u think ur gona be like scarface off 100gs i feel sorry for you. theres plenty of disipointment in your future if money is your only motivation.

Friend

Veteran
120 watts of cfl will be pretty warm, but not enough to melt plastic. In my experience, sometimes the cfl ballast will overheat and start to emit the "burning plastic/electronics" smell, even brand new bulbs can occasionally malfunction in this way. So that one bulb you think is brighter might be melting down inside. I've had it happen to me.

When in doubt, increase the ventilation. Are you still waiting to get your 120mm fan? Without it extracting heat from the grow area, it'll probably get way too hot in there. Might as well order another fan and increase your passive intake diameter just to be safe. Plants like a good amount of air flow, and they hate excess heat.

Good luck, don't give up if it doesn't go perfectly at first

Demagogue

"I wanna be like scarface" is a title. May be stupid but it was a joke. I'm not doin this for money. I'm doin this for the herbs. I can't find the source of the smell still. Still nothing fried or hot. As for the temp of the room the box is in. Right now its probably 35 to 40 degrees. Its in my garage which has no heat and not much warmer than outside. I don't have the temps for the box yet. I'm still waiting on the cpu fan. My intake is the 2" pvc pipe. May add another. I set the box up mainly to see if the lights were gonna be ok. More pics and info to come. I don't have the lid on the box tight. Its just sitting up there for now.

do you have any exhaust yet? the general rule is twice as much intake as exhaust, for example, if you were going to have a 4 square inch computer fan, you are going to want at least 8 square inches of exhaust. Also, 35 to 40 degrees may end up being a bit too cold actually, your definitely going to want to run the cab with lights on for a full light period and record the temperatures along the way, just to get an idea of how things are working

Demagogue

do you have any exhaust yet? the general rule is twice as much intake as exhaust, for example, if you were going to have a 4 square inch computer fan, you are going to want at least 8 square inches of exhaust. Also, 35 to 40 degrees may end up being a bit too cold actually, your definitely going to want to run the cab with lights on for a full light period and record the temperatures along the way, just to get an idea of how things are working

Ok so twice as much intake as exhaust. So if I have a 4 inch cpu fan for exhause I need 8 inches of intake? I should be getting the fan tomorrow. Going to pick up the air duct tomorrow also. Then all I will need is a converter to use the cpu fan. Oh and one more light bulb.

yep, the 8 inches should do it. so if you get 3 or 4 more of those angled pvc fittings you should be good. Again, its just a rule of thumb though, so it may be a bit different for you depending on your conditions

Demagogue

Ok thanks. Will do. Or I may not use the pvc and just drill 8 holes 1 inch on diameter. 3 on each long side and 1 on each short side or something. I have a bit to do that with.

that would be fine as well. Just make sure you put some sort of filter material over the holes to avoid dust and bugs sneaking in there

e_24

8 1 inch holes are not going to be enough. a 4 inch exhaust has about 12.56 sq. inches, and 8 1 inch holes have a total of 6.28 sq. inches. i thought that this method would work as well, but then noticed i would have to add about 15 more of these to get the proper sized passive intake. now 8x2 inch holes would do the trick. i just added a big 8 inch hole to the bottom of my cab, and added a small shelf like board about 2 inches above the passive intake. i then added a speaker cover, to serve as a filter and light blocker:

IMG00164-20111208-1713.jpg

IMG00162-20111208-1713.jpg

youre going to need more intake holes for sure.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Intake doubling the exhaust is not required and is more than you need BUT, it's the easiest, math free, one size fits all solution. Buy an exhaust sized hole saw. Punch 3 holes in the cab. The end. Now you can avoid all the icky math and terminology below.

Size=diameter. Sq inch=area. A 4 sq inch fan is only 2" in size, much too small for our needs. A 4" fan is 12.56si.

Intake is double the area, not double the size. Double the size of 4" is 8" or 50.24si (4x the area.) For a 4" exhaust we want an intake area of 25.12si; A single hole of 5.66" or two holes of 4".

Eight 1" holes do NOT an 8" hole make. 6.26si does NOT equal 50.24si. It takes sixty four 1" holes to equal the area of a single 8" hole. The illo uses 9 as the example but makes the point clearly

Latest posts

Latest posts