What's new

I give up on microscopes

Day 61 of bagseed (veged long time) and I can't see jack. Used every magnification, scopes recommended here and I can't tell if my trichomes are clear, cloudy or amber. They whole plant is purple and every single hair is orange and curled up, but the trichomes still look clear to me. Shiny and sparkly tho, someone said that means they have moved past 'clear' to 'milky'. People say to wait till the calyxes swell, don't know what that looks like in comparison. Seen every picture of 'ready' plants and I can't really see the difference. How do you tell if its ready? Wanted to cut before I go for christmas so I think I'll cut at day 67 unless you think thats crazy.

D

DJXXPLATINUM

IT GOES FROM CLEAR TO MILKY TO AMBER.......AMBER IS THE MOST COUCHLOCK....HOPE THIS HELPS...GET A JEWELERS GLASS...BOUT 30 TO 60 TIMES...THAT LIL CIRCULAR THING THAT JEWELERS USE...ITS EASY HOLD STILL...IF YOU HAVE AMICROSCOPE JUS CUT A LIL PIECE OF LEAF AND LAY IT FLAT ON THE TABLE AND THEN YOU CAN FOCUS...HOPE THIS HELPS...WAIT FOR AT LEAST 20% AMBER AND 60% CLOUDY AND THE REST CLEAR...YOUR DOPE WILL ROCK...DJ

Duplicate

These images may help

When_To_Harvest.jpg

template_clip_image013.jpg

Day 67 doesn't sound crazy to me.

Thanks I appreciate the suggestions. However, I have seen all these pictures before. I've laid it out on white paper under the scope, and the problem is every different angle or type of light gives a different color. At first it looked totally amber and then under an intense light it all looked clear. If I go by the pistils, it should be done right? I know not all strains get orange hairs, but if mine is totally orange and shriveled that means its time right? its just that the calyxes don't seem 'swollen' - what does that even mean?
If I had a camera of any quality I would post picks.
Anybody got before and after pictures, ideally with a purple/orange strain?

R

raypack

Dead pistils do not necessarily give any indication of the plant's maturity. If the calyxes don't seem swollen and the trichomes are clear that means the plant is not done yet.

CatManDoo

Can you see 'through' the trichome heads? Then they are clear. Think of it like a quartz crystal vs a typical agate that is cloudy and you can't see through it. If you see hints of brown on the head, then it's past cloudy and onto amber getting past it's prime.

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
Why does the supposedly clear triche in the comparison chart look black?

Think about it.
A transparent sphere is a convex lens.
The background is dark.
Were the caps cloudy, that background would look more "washed-out".
Some bad choices on the part of the photographer.
A consistent background would be more helpful.
(I'll try to get some decent shots on my next chop for the archives here.)

@NB
Look at the last 2 panels of those trich shots.
Ignore the trichs, just look at the comparative size of the calyx. (the covering on the seed).
When they get fat enough to hold a seed inside, start harvesting.

Hint:
You can spread out the harvest if you take less than 1/4th of the buds at a time and wait a week between chops for the girl to recover.

That can give you 4 or 5 different sets of side effects from 1 plant.

The early chop will be energizing and clear.
The middles will be stonier.
And the last chop can nail one's sorry ass to the couch.

If you take a few macro shots of the trichs, just before chop and tape them to their respective curing jars, you will know exactly when to chop that strain next season, yah?:)

Aloha y'all
Weezard

_Dude

And no, day 67 isn't crazy-late or anything. I've let many a 60 day strain go a week late, sometimes 2. A week late and you have to be an "expert" to notice a difference, at least with my strains.

S

Scrappy-doo

why don't you post a pic of your girl we'll let you know if she's ready.

moonwalkr1

I have the same problem. I think he means that it is very hard to determine the difference between clear and cloudy. I have bought 6 microscopes/loupes/magnifiers, including a USB scope, and still cant tell.

I can see a picture on here and tell the difference immediately, but depending on how the light reflects using a scope, they look clear or cloudy.

It could just be a practice thing, but if someone has figured out how to definitely tell the difference, that would be awesome.

smoke1sun

What Goes Around Comes Around. But Am I Comming Or
Veteran
I think you guys are just anxious. Im that way at every harvest. When you have amber trics youll know it. Especially when the first few turn, they will stand out like a sore thumb mixed in with the clear and cloudy trics.

What you growing?

Sometimes I have trouble when using a magnifier. I found that taking some photos (close-up as possible of course) gives me a much better view than I get with my 60X LED loupe...

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
I've always had good luck with the cheapo radio shack micro,it does get easier,just keep trying until you 'get' it.When in doubt,wait it out and see what you see.
I use both plant/bud appearance and the microscope,but I know cats who just go on look after many moons.
Pic would help.

Peace,
SSM :joint:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I've laid it out on white paper under the scope, and the problem is every different angle or type of light gives a different color.

Try a black background.

Also, I like the Radio Shack microscope also. Takes a minute or two to get used to it, but it works very well.

Latest posts

Latest posts