What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600w vs 1000w?

DrHydro

What is the room size needed for each one of these.. Also.. The 1000watt is gonna produce bigger buds?...

The reason i ask this is because i remember hearing along time ago that 600watt lights were just as good as 1000watt lights because you can get them closer due to less heat and they use less power...

Im tryin to get the best light for my money.. They honestly cost about the same... What would you pros out there say is the best way to go?..

I

Iron_Lion

Im currently contemplating the same thing actually. You want a minimum of 50w per square foot for a 600 is 12 sq ft, a 100 is 20 sq feet.

I've got a grow tent with a 250 HPS/MH I think Im going to end up getting a 600 and running a perpetual harvaest instead of going for the 1000.

I think a 1000W will require too much time to tend to that size garden, and I think I could produce more than enough perpetually to keep me happy.
Also, the electric bill will be much less, and less power to use to cool it.

I also found a badass website that sells lumatek light kits, with 2 bulbs, ballast and 6 " A/C hoods, for the best price that can be found online with free shipping to boot. PM me if interested

wolfie

thats good question i've got six 400s in a ten by ten room and i just picked up two 1000w and was wondering the same thing

bigghead

1000s if price of electric or heat is not an issue. moving lights closer sounds good but is a pain to work around.efficincy is important but comfort for you and your girls is also.

DrHydro

I'm thinking 2 600watt lights would be better then 1 1000watt and its only 200 more watts total... Thats what i feel would be the best way to go...

So far a few people said 1000watt is the way to go and a few said 600 watt.. lol.. so i guess its w/e works for you..

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The difference is efficiency.

600w lights put out 158 lumens per watt.
1000W lights put out 140-145 lumens per watt.

A 600 is best for plants that will never exceed 3 feet of finished height (canopy penetration)
1000W lights are best for plants 4' or less.

600w parts are slightly cheaper but more of them are needed for the same coverage.

A 600W light effectively illuminates a 3'X3' square with 50w per square foot.
A 1000W light lights an area 4.5'X4.5' with 50wpsf.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

DrHydro

THe difference is efficency.

600w lights put out 158 lumens per watt.
1000W lights put out 140-145 lumens per watt.

A 600 is best for plants that will never exceed 3 feet of finished height (canopy penetration)
1000W lights are best for plants 4' or less.

600w parts are slightly cheaper but more of them are needed for the same coverage.

A 600W light effectively illuminates a 3'X34' square with 50w per square foot.
A 1000W light lights an area 4.5'X4.5' with 50wpsf.

Hope that helps

Yes.. Thats the info i wanted.. Honestly the lumen's per watt is just 1 of a few positives for me.. From the info i gather, The 600 is the way to go...

Thanks everyone....

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I say the 1000's all day long. Your getting 1 for 2 compared to the 600's. Growing is kinds like racing in a way. There is no replacement for displacement. Or in our case displacement meaning wattage.

My Penny
Mr.Wags

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Mr Wags, would you still recommend a 1000W light bulb for someone growing 12" tall plants in a SOG?

To be accurate, the 1000w is not 1 for 2 against the 600's, it's actually .77 to 2 in terms of lumen output (140K vs 180K for 2 600's)

If the 1000 was as efficient as the 600's, they would put out 158K lumens instead of 140K.

Put another way, here is a fair comparison of the two in capabilities.

Goal is say 7500 lumens per square foot for flowering.

A 1000W bulb will provide that light for a 4.3 X 4.3 square foot area.
A 600W bulb will provide that light for a 3.5X 3.5 square foot area, and use 40 percent less electricity and heat. Much easier to get 1gpw off 600's than a 1000w light due the the increased efficiency (the 600 puts out 12% more light per watt than the 1000.)

So, a 600 puts out 64% of the overall light of a 1000w, while only using 60% of the power and heat.

Hard to beat the numbers!

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2 digital 600's use about the same juice as a standard 1000 HPS.

Way more lumens. Buy two 600's dude you will be glad you did. :joint:

n0dn4rb

I run a 5'x8' room and use 2 1ks and have never looked back....just make sure you have proper ventilation in place and everything will be fine.....

pedrodepaco

I dont know if my air cooled setup is gangster but my 1000s dont put off hardly any heat in the grow room. I can touch the glass shield and leave my hand there as long as i want. I have effectively lit a 8x8 room with 1 thousand watt light in the past. Now I run with 1k over each 4x6 table works perfect.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
But you are way limited on what kind of bulbs you can use

Only because there is no 600MH yet (except conversion bulbs) right?

The Gavita reflectorized bulb is the best 600W bulb on the market IMHO< 5-10K more lumens and has a build in reflector that is far better than any external reflector on the market. Good shit mang!

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hortilux is the only bulb imo if thats your primary source of light, if you use HPS.

Lumens don't matter, PAR watts do.

zenoonez

Veteran
Only because there is no 600MH yet (except conversion bulbs) right?

The Gavita reflectorized bulb is the best 600W bulb on the market IMHO< 5-10K more lumens and has a build in reflector that is far better than any external reflector on the market. Good shit mang!

I was talking about the digital ballasts, I want to see a chm or pulse start made to work in a digital.

Dnutz

how about this scenario, two troughs set up on each side of a room with a 1.5ft path down the center. two lights will be required to cover a 4x10x8 area each. the lights will be on a light mover of course. would a 1k on each side be more effective/and efficient than a 600 in the situation?