What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

42w CFL Vertical Screen

grouchy

I am putting this together for a growing competition I started in the Micro Section. I wanted to see what kind of yield people could pull with an extremely limited wattage.

The 150w Equivalent Club - http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=141381

I have a feeling that vertical grows will dominate because of there efficiency. With such a limited wattage you will need to use every bit of light you can get.

This will be my entry in the contest and I will keep it updated here in the vertical section. I plan on starting the grow around the first of December. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to join the contest as well.

picture.php

grouchy

More info about my plans:

Medium - Fox Farm Ocean Forest on top with a Hempy style perlite reservoir underneath the drain.

Training - Vertical Scrog

Strain - G13 Gigabud Feminized

Plan - I will start 3 or 4 clones in the bucket once they are rooted. I will top once or twice and flip to 12/12 when the screen is about 1/2 full. This should be enough to fill the screen all the way around by the time the stretch stops. My goal is going to be one ounce for the first run and improving from there.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
looks sweet, I think with cfl's this would be a great micro method for sure.

Maybe setup the mini circles with 2 cfl's hung down the middle for larger micro setups as well. Really could cram some girls in there for sure.

On yours, how do you see the training going in such a small area? Odds are you are used to micros though SO can't wait to see the updates.

grouchy

The only part that worries me is the clearance on the back side of the screen on the sides. It is almost touching the wall and may create problems. If i have to I will bend the screen in to make it more like an oval.

I can pull the whole pot out easily by unplugging the bulb from the power strip. That will allow access to the inside and outside of the screen.

ratdawgie

Yes! Dude! I am a hobby grower for the most part and get by on very little herb. Often wondered and pondered what could be done around a single 42w or 65w. I am pulling up a chair.

S

Sir_Nugget

did you consider doing a SOG around the bulb? the screen won't block light?

grouchy

did you consider doing a SOG around the bulb? the screen won't block light?
I plan on sticking the buds inside the screen. I think it will give me better control of the distance than sog will. I don't think it will block any light at all.

S

Sir_Nugget

if your going for yield, strain choice matters greatly, skunk x haze comes to mind,

grouchy

if your going for yield, strain choice matters greatly, skunk x haze comes to mind,

Do sativas do better in micro setups? I was under the impression that they stretch a lot. I am limited to what I can run as I don't have a lot of space for mothers right now.

grouchy

Sorry guys, i thought i posted a link but i guess i didnt. Anyway here is a cool small vertical cfl grow for you to look over and get some ideas from.

http://www.verticalgreen.org/showthread.php?t=797

There is a guy who has something similar to that here on IC. This guy is a genius when it comes to micro growing. ScrubNinja said it best "The translator software really turns it into poetry"

My Works - http://icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=106329&highlight=works

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I think the diameter of your wire cage is too large for your bulb. You are wasting space that plants will happily grow in. A small 50cfm or so fan should be able you need and the plants will be fine unless they are directly touching it. I have a 150w HPS vertical and a big fan leaf can almost touch the bulb and the plants love it. Leaf can get about within an inch before it burns. I'm using a 100CFM 5'' PC fan below the vertical bulb and my cab air exchange per minutes about 10 times.

grouchy

The plants will grow up the inside of the screen. They will be two inches from the light all the way up. If I made the screen smaller there would be less surface area and less plants.

I just figured out how to make a remote ballast 42w cfl as well. This should help out with heat and space issues and might open up a lot of other options as well. Here is a link to the guide.

42w Remote Ballast cfl - http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=143345

mjconfid

Hi Grouchy,

Firstly hats of on your objective and challenge - you could be the catalyst for a nano grow forum!

I am currently attempting a micro vert grow using a screens. Unfortunately, it isn't going well and I have no pics, but regardless, here's my :2cents::

-If you intend to grow inside the screen you need more space between the bulb and the screen. From the pic, it looks like a single leaf could span the gap from bulb to screen. If you look at the grow with the 70whps, there is a substantial amount of plant inside the screen.

- The holes in the grid are quite small. This will make tucking bigger leaves outside the screen problematic. A compromise may be to use/make a screen with rectangular holes that are a lot wider than high or vice versa.

-You mention wanting to maximize the use of the light , to do this you could make a screen cage, so light projected downwards is also utilized e.g. (not to scale!:))

I* O *I
I* O *I
I* * *I

-------
...XXX
...XXX

0= Bulb,* = plant,X= plant pot

- As the cab has small footprint, using a box shaped screen cage instead a of a tube, with all 4 sides close to the cab walls, may make even more efficient use of both the light and the cab space.