What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is This Plant Deformed or Sick?

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
The leaves on this plant, Three Blue Kings, have been twisted and bent and curled since its second set of leaves. It's 41 days old, and has been in this bag for about 3 weeks. I topped it when it only had 3 sets of leaves, hoping it would stimulate it to grow normally, but the new leaves are just as deformed. Other than the organic amendments I added to the soil, it hasn't been fed, just plain water.

Four other plants in the same cabinet, same soil, same everything are doing great, normal looking and healthy. The deformed plant is still growing, but it's behind the others.

Do you think this is some kind of nutrient deficiency/overdose problem? Or is this just a mutant, deformed plant?

Attachments

• 3BK Day 41.jpg
    3BK Day 41.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 35

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
All things being equal, defective genes. Continue treating her has you have and see what develops or bin it :tiphat:

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
The leaves on this plant, Three Blue Kings, have been twisted and bent and curled since its second set of leaves.
It looks like insect/mite damage.

I would check for insects first. If it are mites, this might just be the first plant they hit.

Having said that, if you let it go long enough, it will pull itself out of it and eventually start producing normal leaves. Some of the best plants I've smoked started out like that.

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Check for Mites like T-Magic says. Also if you've already been spraying, watch the strength of your solution and Do Not apply when the lights are on. Neem and other Oils which are considered safe can do weird things to the leaves.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
given that the first two leaves, the three fingered ones, look fairly normal... it looks like the plant has been poisoned somehow or nibbled as the 5 fingered leaves were forming. the new growth looks stunted too (i'm a regular gardener and the new growth looks a bit like a plant trying to grow after it's been sprayed with weedkiller but not quite enough to kill it ). give it some time it may recover.. maybe spray down the leaves with water if it's been sprayed with anything else..or water the soil to runoff a couple times if it's something you've watered it with..

VG

Cactus Wes

Can you post a side by side of your healthy plants next to it?
I as well agree, I suspect something feasting on your roots at first glance.
Scope under your leaf's and the top layer of dirt with a magnifying glass if you have one.
If it's a bug problem, you'll find them with that and want to identify them to know the next steps to take.
The individual plant's genes might be predisposed to be vulnerable to attack.
Where as the other's may just simply be resistant to the same attack.

A wondering PH when soil dries or moistens can jack up your plant like that as well.
Either way get a bit of distance between the healthy plants from the sick one until you can Identify the problem.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Its from the blue line, do a search on crinkle leaf pheno. I would say nitrogen overload if it wasn't from the blue line, that doesn't rule anything else out, just adding a possibility.

PDX Dopesmoker

That photo looks suspiciously like the early stages of russet mites. Spray it with sulphur. If that improves it, spray everything else with sulphur. If russet mites are the problem and you can keep the temperatures down that should help too, russets love hot weather.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Can you post a side by side of your healthy plants next to it?.
In the photo, left to right, Kandy Kush, AK-47, 3 Blue Kings, Blue Dream, and Fruity Juice Chronic. All the plants are in the same soil, same age. The other 4 plants are very healthy and developing normally. I've started training them, but have not topped them. The soil came from my previous grow, with some new amendments added. All organic.

The first leaves were only slightly bent, and the one set is very curled under, which could mean a N overdose. But other leaves are curled up, and curled sideways, so unless it's very sensitive to the blood meal I amended the soil with, I don't think that's it.

Other than gnats, I've never had any bugs in this cabinet in the 12 years it's been in use. Since the soil was reused, I don't know how anything could've gotten in for this grow, in the middle of winter. Regardless, I don't have anywhere else to put the other plants.

Attachments

• KK-AK47-3BK-BD-FJC Day 41.jpg
    KK-AK47-3BK-BD-FJC Day 41.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 29

PDX Dopesmoker

Maybe its something else, but russet mites are pretty easy to get rid of so you might be better off with them. The horror stories are all exaggerated, my own first encounter was exaggerated because I boneheadedly spent like a month looking for a nutritional issue even though the problem had come in with a clone and had clearly spread from the clone to other plants, so it was obviously some kind of bug or fungus, but I figured it all out eventually, sprayed sulphur and only lost the initial clone.
Maybe you've got a sulphur deficiency? "sulphur deficiency" is going to become the polite way of discussing russets amongst squeamish types

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Happy ending! The 3BK plant not only recovered (from whatever it was suffering from was not bugs), it thrived. It ended up being the biggest yielder of the group. Attached is a picture of the plant at day 44 of flower.

Attachments

• photo2066661.jpg
    photo2066661.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 24

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Hey, this is a good thread to learn from because she is kicking ass now! I was going to get rid of this plant, but after seeing those buds, I'm going to keep her. Thanks for sharing. 😎

Attachments

• photo2067048.jpg
    photo2067048.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 23