What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RIP Phil Spector

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Another one has gone.
RIP Phil , Mr. Wall Of Sound

He produced much great music

P

Lyfespan

he had one crazy life for sure. he was responsible for so much in music development, but couldn't control his own demons

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TMZ.
Sources told he died from COVID-related complications, after being transferred from his prison cell to a hospital. We're told he was diagnosed 4 weeks ago and went to the hospital but recovered well enough to return to prison, where he was serving a 19-to-life sentence for the murder of Lana Clarkson.

Defense argued it was a suicide; first trial ended in a mistrial. Second, was tried again for second-degree murder; April 13, 2009, the jury found Spector guilty of murdering Clarkson and was sentenced to nineteen years to life in state prison.

Roller coaster of achievements starting at age 20. Bravo for his immense talent.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
RIP, that's sad the he died after recovering ..... or maybe not, just merciful, 19 - life is a very long time.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
He produced much great music

And also Yoko Ono.

Seriously tho, guy was very talented and also very troubled in life. Don't know about the murder thing, not really my place to speculate what happened. I guess it doesn't matter now.

Spector testified in a 2005 court deposition that he had been treated for bipolar disorder ("manic depression") for eight years, saying, "No sleep, depression, mood changes, mood swings, hard to live with, hard to concentrate, just hard—a hard time getting through life, I've been called a genius and I think a genius is not there all the time and has borderline insanity."

I dono if crazy was used as a defence by his lawyers, or against him by the prosecutor, that also kinda works both ways. You be the judge, and jury. Or don't. It's just I think he realised and knew the limitations of his mind, which is rare when it comes to celebrities.
I can't help but feel sympathy for the guy, he was like a modern day Hollow Man from a T. S. Eliot poem, only without redemption. All the way to the end.. Regardless of who pulled the trigger and killed the lady, that moment started his end, too. Tragic, sad, unfair story either way. But I guess that's life, mang.

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

- T. S. Eliot

Rest in peace. :tiphat: