What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EZ Cloner machine to soil. Something went wrong

AloeRuss

Crown Jewel of the Legion
ICMag Donor
Hi

I need to make clones regularly and recently discovered cloner machine. It makes them at 99 percent success rate, but planting them to soil seems to be the problem. Most of them can’t handle it and wilt.

I use frog mix and add 400ppm food using RO water.
5.8 ph
This time I mixed too much water (I think). The soil was soaked.
I just slide root into an opening I create and pack lightly.

60 percent wilted.
Anyone can point me to detailed instructions.
Thank you so much

ElGato

Veteran
Hi

I need to make clones regularly and recently discovered cloner machine. It makes them at 99 percent success rate, but planting them to soil seems to be the problem. Most of them can’t handle it and wilt.

I use frog mix and add 400ppm food using RO water.
5.8 ph
This time I mixed too much water (I think). The soil was soaked.
I just slide root into an opening I create and pack lightly.

60 percent wilted.
Anyone can point me to detailed instructions.
Thank you so much

when transplanting from an aero-cloner to soil?

here's what i do:
first you want your soil mix to be fully saturated to the point where you can just barely squeeze a drop or two of water/fert mix out of a handful of soil mix. so, wet but not soaking wet

then i do as you did, fill my cups with the mix and make a hole, insert cutting and pack down the soil gently around the stem.

after that i add a small trickle of water/fert mix right around the base of the stem, probably around 1-2 tablespoon and then gently repack the soil again. I rarely have any problems, like almost never

i think what may be happening is your roots aren't making good enough contact with the mix, that's where my extra step comes in.

give it a shot and see if that fixes your problem

growlegal

Veteran
When I transfer from cloner to pro-mix I do not put them under direct light the first week
The cloner keeps the plants healthy but once you remove them they need a little TLC out of the spotlight and a light misting with plain water for the first few days
Good luck

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
when transplanting from an aero-cloner to soil?

here's what i do:
first you want your soil mix to be fully saturated to the point where you can just barely squeeze a drop or two of water/fert mix out of a handful of soil mix. so, wet but not soaking wet

then i do as you did, fill my cups with the mix and make a hole, insert cutting and pack down the soil gently around the stem.

after that i add a small trickle of water/fert mix right around the base of the stem, probably around 1-2 tablespoon and then gently repack the soil again. I rarely have any problems, like almost never

i think what may be happening is your roots aren't making good enough contact with the mix, that's where my extra step comes in.

give it a shot and see if that fixes your problem

Thank you so much.
What kind of water do you use? Do you mix any food in it? PH? PPM?
The ones that I planted into VERY saturated soil died in 30 min

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
When I transfer from cloner to pro-mix I do not put them under direct light the first week
The cloner keeps the plants healthy but once you remove them they need a little TLC out of the spotlight and a light misting with plain water for the first few days
Good luck
Do you use any powder on your roots when transplant?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i would wait to feed them anything until they regain turgidity.
happy frog? doesn't that have nutrients in it? and then more in watering?

give up a pic of the roots that have struck, maybe there is a clue there.

your method sounds proper. might there be a temperature change under different lighting?

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
i would wait to feed them anything until they regain turgidity.
happy frog? doesn't that have nutrients in it? and then more in watering?

give up a pic of the roots that have struck, maybe there is a clue there.

your method sounds proper. might there be a temperature change under different lighting?

Roots looked very good, but you’re right. Happy Frog has food. And I gave them more food. This may be it..?

AloeRuss

ICMag Donor
Just use a cover/lid over your cuts so the humidity stays high for the first week.

I use 30 oz cups and have about 300 of them. Can’t think of anything to use as a cover that wouldn’t damage them more.

MedFaced

Roots looked very good, but you’re right. Happy Frog has food. And I gave them more food. This may be it..?

Happy frog is designed for babies. No additional food needed at all for up to a month. All that PPM and PH shit is for hydro/coco or synthetics. If your soil is good—happy frog is great stuff—then you don’t need to mess with all that.

A pic will show if they’re wilting or overdosing.

Joint Lock

need to make a dome with baggies or w/e u can find they used to open roots and need humidity i recommend u use beer cups aka solo cups and stick baggies over them and mist the inside for the first week or so when transplanting if cuts are larger use 1gallon zip locks keep soil damp not soaked. once the roots take to the new medium u can slide the bag off and everythign will be fine . But the plants need humidty trust me interduce them to the light slow if its high power LED or MH/HPS while the baggies on still .let them roots take form in the new medium before exposing the cut to open air

Let them root longer and transplant when you get many long roots.

:2cents:

Veg them in the cloner for another week to help adjust to veg room

Gonna agree with the others , that it's probably due to you putting them into the soil too soon. I've used FoxFarm ocean forrest/happy frog ..put them right in..no problems. I don't think it's the soil being too hot. I also have an EZClone ( the 9 site small one )

I think it's you are transplanting too early, and possibly ( no offense!! ) you are maybe not transplanting them correctly. Do you have any pictures, or a video of your process ?

I fill up a solo cup 1/2 way...put the clone in so the roots touch the soil...hold it in place with my fingers and fill up the soil around the roots..gently, Then I water it all down with some plain RO water. You don't need ot add any food for a while with the FF soil.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
need to make a dome with baggies or w/e u can find they used to open roots and need humidity i recommend u use beer cups aka solo cups and stick baggies over them and mist the inside for the first week or so when transplanting if cuts are larger use 1gallon zip locks keep soil damp not soaked. once the roots take to the new medium u can slide the bag off and everythign will be fine . But the plants need humidty trust me interduce them to the light slow if its high power LED or MH/HPS while the baggies on still .let them roots take form in the new medium before exposing the cut to open air

^ This

It's almost certainly a RH problem. The cloning machine creates enough around the cuts to sustain them while rooting, so I have to guess it's quite high. Higher than they will find when moved off the machine and placed elsewhere. They need weening off the high RH.

I had a perfectly good cut drop at the edge of my tray yesterday because I took the lid off. It well rooted, but being at the edge it had been leaning on the lid where water condenses. I lift the lid, and it's now in an entirely different position. I have to look after the group though not the individual.

It probably had too much root. Pulling the lid flooded it. Mass over-watering. Due to a huge increase in transpiration. It was pretty instant. No surprise at all.

I have moved quite a few from clone machine to pebbles, and using my net and frames to polythene in the growing space with a humidifier worked well.

Latest posts

Latest posts