What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Gypsy Nirvana - Simple/Stupid Way - to grow good Cannabis - for £1/$1.20 -

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
2 Honduran seeds I picked up in Roatan and stuck them in a Canadian forest. Popped them indoor in a 2 inch pot with vanilla seed starter for 3 weeks, then it was out to the forest for you guys. No food. No water. But I did give them a small bamboo stick to help them when they were babies. They're 6 feet tall.

They did fine.

picture.php

picture.php

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah - I did harvest, dry and managed to part-cure it before consuming - and I took some pics - now where are they?

- always kind of sad at harvest - the live plants have to lose most of their lustre - and end up dried after a few days and ready to break up and put in jars -

picture.php

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
All in all - I must have got around one ounce of tokeable 'erb out of it - some buds were more dense than others - but overall - I'm satisfied - wasn't hardly any cost - wasn't hardly any work either - and that plant kept me company on the balcony all summer -

picture.php

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All in all - I must have got around one ounce of tokeable 'erb out of it - some buds were more dense than others - but overall - I'm satisfied - wasn't hardly any cost - wasn't hardly any work either - and that plant kept me company on the balcony all summer -

View Image

Nice one Gypsy it all starts from a seed and mostly ends in a smoke :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
This thread has really inspired me. With the hundreds, if not thousands, of wild apple trees in my area, I decided to grow a dozen plants in a local field with all those trees. The land is not useful for farming and is surrounded by rock quarries, and judging by trails in the area, never visited. Top soil is only 6 inches deep with shale under that in the best places, but I'll give it a shot.

Pics to follow. :)

E

ESTERCHASER

It hasn't all been plain sailing - the last week we had big storms and 60mph gales/winds over the UK - so to try and protect my plant - I put it into a metal bin - with only the top cola peeking out - to stop it getting too mashed up by the weather - which was raging outside - sometimes pouring tropical style rain showers down on the plant.

View Image

it hits our coast first, then diligently comes across the pond to ya! What a great thread my man! You truly show folks following natures lead is way better course of action then another human!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Is it something about apple trees specifically, or fruiting trees in general?

One way to find out, I guess.

Composting and Fermenting fruit feeding the soil. It would be the same under any fruit tree I suppose. Mine won't be directly under the tree, but at the drip line.

The point is to prove that you don't need to spend a lot of money to grow. Gypsy's results proved that.

Composting and Fermenting fruit feeding the soil. It would be the same under any fruit tree I suppose. Mine won't be directly under the tree, but at the drip line.

The point is to prove that you don't need to spend a lot of money to grow. Gypsy's results proved that.

I like the point, but still wondering about the different types of fruiting trees, only because different fruits of course have different nutritional values for our human diet so mere gut hunch says type of fruiting tree might make a difference.
Heck, maybe even different apple trees... sweet vs. sour, etc.

On a certain level, surely I’m being too technical. On another level, I hunch different tree fruits affect the underlying soil differently, just as different types of forest wood do.

I’m viewing Gypsy’s post and the main idea behind it as an AWESOME starting point for further learning of low-cost, eco-friendly cannabis production.
But only a starting point for those of us far from any apple tree.

Where I’m at we have a lot of what are called “hedge apple” or “Osage Orange” trees (Maclura pomifera, in L. taxonomy).
I’ll throw some tomato seeds under there this spring and report back as to how they do compared to the tended ones in my yard.

AWESOME link, Cvh!

White sage is naturally abundant here, never would have guessed it’s K value, and probably never would have learned about it if you hadn’t posted that.
THANKS!

Cvh

Supermod
^For White Sage and some others on the list, please notice that when it says '(Ash)' behind. It means that specific plant turned into ash. Literally that material burned until it becomes ash.

Ash is also very alkaline and is not really recommended to grow with if you're just starting out growing organic.

The reason why K is so high in many ashes is because K doesn't burn off when combusted.

therevverend

Veteran
I've got a crab apple tree, drops semi-sweet apples all over the driveway. When I clean up the driveway they all go in the garden and in my manure/compost pile. My regular apple tree is infested with apple maggots so I don't eat many. I let quite a few rot under the tree to replenish it, but I toss quite a few into the garden area to rot and replenish the soil. I'm not picky about what I add as long as overall it builds up the soil. Since I'm constantly depleting it with heavy feeding crops like potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, etc.

Going off topic but if your fruit is getting hammered by apple maggots there's an easy way to protect it. In mid June after the fruit sets staple a plastic bag over the baby apples with a small hole in the bottom to let moisture out. The maggot flies hatch in late June/early July. We've tried different stuff but the neighborhood is so saturated that nothing works except for this. You want to bag the apples that are in the shade, I made the mistake of bagging a few that were in direct sun. The plastic concentrated the light and burned the fruit.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Where I’m at we have a lot of what are called “hedge apple” or “Osage Orange” trees (Maclura pomifera, in L. taxonomy).
I’ll throw some tomato seeds under there this spring and report back as to how they do compared to the tended ones in my yard.

i don't know how decaying osage oranges will affect a growing plant, but the juice from its fruits have been prized as an insecticide forever...if you have any straight growing ones, their wood is the BEST for making wooden self-bows (one piece) according to damn near everyone. native americans transplanted them far & wide in their travels.:tiphat: