What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

VPN's which do you use?

dddaver

Veteran
I personally never thought by that using a VPN I was at all secure online. I just would prefer my ISP didn't have record of everywhere I ever surfed. That is no one's business but my own... and apparently some asshole at the NSA. :biggrin:

The only part of your post I found at all questionable to me personally Skip, was when you wrote "hardly ANYONE gets busted for posting a pic of plants online." I might be being overly picky here, but does that mean some have then?

My only objection to posting pics of anything ever was in the possibility of them being used as either further evidence, or a reason for furthering investigation by some nosy prick pig, never a sole reason for arrest. If they just legalized this plant, that all goes away.

Great post though, thanks.Lot of good info in your post. I think wiki or google somewhere will also say the US Department of Defense had a huge hand from the start so the internet being made into what it is now. It stands to reason they kept their greedy paws in it somehow. Their history does bear that out.

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
420giveaway
dddaver;6281575The only part of your post I found at all questionable to me personally Skip said:
hardly[/B] ANYONE gets busted for posting a pic of plants online." I might be being overly picky here, but does that mean some have then?

Kids have been busted for posting pics of weed on instagram. Not even plants.

Peace

Skip

Veteran
Kids have been busted for posting pics of weed on instagram. Not even plants.

Peace
I hear instagram is where a lot of LEOs hang out these days. It's got one of the biggest backdoors anywhere, as well as Facebook.

See this article.

THEY ARE NOT JUST POSTING PICS OF WEED ONLINE...

The people getting busted on those sites are ADVERTISING WEED FOR SALE. And obviously wherever they are it's illegal. So what do you expect?

I hear there is so much action going on, on Craigslist with marijuana sales, the police can't even keep up with it.

And Craigslist is a very localized thing which means the LEOs can find out easily what's going down in their own local area. As I said before, it's local LEOs who initiate nearly all the drug busts.

And yes I know of an instance where a grower posted up a YouTube video of his grow and the Swedish police busted him. That was years ago.

The focus of most LEOS is now on Apps for iphone and Android, like Instagram, where it's so much easier for them to access personal info.

In most cases the images are uploaded with EXIF and GPS coordinates. Cops don't even need to bother with a court order to get their IP# addies.

I now think of every electronic device as a US government spy tool, and I use them accordingly. Everyone should.

Smartphones are indeed the least secure thing around, given all the personal info people put on them!

There's not much excuse anymore for ignorance about government spying after Snowden's revelations.

And as cannabis use becomes decriminalized or legalized even more, the focus of LEOs is shifting to harder drugs and prescription drug abuse.

They finally have realized that dozens of people are DYING from opiate overdoses everyday (I heard recently 17,000 a year in the US), and they've yet to get a handle on it.

The intense police focus on cannabis is rapidly changing, just like the public's attitudes towards it. :)

Last edited:

tea_is_back

pot°grapher
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use right now an indian company with the name zenvpn.net. 250mb daily free traffic and a super easy using. just install and let's go>no configuration. the servers are very fast and for me the 250 mb per day is really enough to read or post some lines:)

I would encourage everyone to get a VPN, there's really no reason not to have one. You can buy them anonymously if you're worried about that sort of thing, they're really easy to use and you can find amazing ones with a quick Google search on their reviews. My VPN I paid a one time lifetime fee of $40 for, downloaded this snazzy client and have been greatly impressed with it. At the very least it makes me feel more secure.

You can get crazy and go to town with how much you want to secure your computer. But at the very least, I don't care if I'm writing a term paper on fruit flies or communicating with dissidents in the middle east, no one should be monitoring or knowing what I'm doing online. Governments across the world are very evil and getting more so by the day with internet monitoring. My feeling is if they want to get you, they're going to get you. But at least things like VPN, TOR and the other neat crypto stuff floating around out there makes their job more difficult.

TOR makes me nervous, I don't fuck around with it because it sets off too many alarms on the internet. Its just my amateur opinion but unless you're doing sketchy shit and you know what you're doing, I wouldn't mess with it.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I'm not tech savvy in the slightest, and I'm not going to pretend to be. TOR has a very bad stigma attached to it though, and draws a lot of heat. Beware.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is the point in using it.. If they want you your fucked seriously there is no point using stuff like that.. Just stop posting if your worried and stop photographing stuff... Simpler...

19de1ta

a good reason to use them is when u are on a unsecured network. When i say unsecured , im talking open wifi connections that many use nowadays at coffee shops, McDonald's, etc.
A man in the middle attack is so easy.

Veggia farmer

Nordvpn. Many servers, easy to find a fast one. Also has some extra features. I use double VPN when I find that convenient.

It is always a way to crack to code, but how hard?

Bobby Boucher

Torguard

I didn’t do my research before purchasing.. costs 60 a year, might be 120, I forget.

At least I get my 10 mbps downloads on torrents whenever the uploader has the necessary bandwidth. Speedtest shows me at 40 er 50.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Soon as I got Tor, the odd behaviour of my PC made me believe I had raised a flag.

As anyone can host the network, it seems possible that the node you connect directly with could be anybodies.

We shouldn't be kidding ourselves too much. We have all bitten into a pastry and found it wasn't what we were told it was.

Three months free trail of my amazing VPN for anyone interested. Usually £15 a month. Obviously I'm just going to see what you are up to, then make the connection so bad you leave, if you are not interesting.

Blackberries can't be hacked.

Chat sites never employ Baiting.

People tend to believe what an internet person tells them.

I can't offer you the connection you seek, as I would foul anti-terrorism laws.

Bobby Boucher

can you guys walk me through this.....if you grab the protection you need to use thier servers?

Yeah.. Believe that’s how it works.

I am very computer illiterate. I’m a whiz with all the mac music video and photo editing software, but I shied away from a vpn thinking I wouldn’t understand how to use it.

I used to get a lot of threatening letters from my isp for torrenting copyrighted material and experienced a lot of service throttling and interruptions.

I bought torguard, opened up the disk image, clicked on install, and it set itself up with a variety of safeguards to make sure that it connects before I do, warning against shutdown with active torrents.. so on and so forth.

Verifiably computer and internet illiterate, and it works for me. No more threatening letters.

I wouldn’t trust it with legitimate privacy though.

Don’t do fucked up shit the police would have genuine interest in on the internet. Torguard probably reserves the right to report such things. Don’t think they got the time or the energy to report little pot plants with all the bs they go through, though.

Green Squall

I don't use one anymore, but previously had PIA, which my brother recommended. He's a little paranoid about privacy issues, so I trusted him lol.

Veggia farmer

You are on there servers, yes.. Its like, THE point;)

https://nordvpn.com/what-is-a-vpn/

Check, when google ask for where your at and start nagging like an ex girlfriend who wants you, you are doing it right! hehe.. I cant even go to my mail without Q like is this your PC etc.. Google gets way to much info... Thats some of the reason I "hacked" my phone, so no google account there, VPN always on when internett is on, and of course browsing in private and so on... Dont give people your info for free, thats dumb. If they want you, they catch you, TRUE! BUT they first need to know that they want you.

Had a buddy when I was kid that hacked in to a military systems, NOT in my country, maybe yours? ;) RIP mate!

Crypto is the word.. Enigma, anyone???? Nazi`z knew this, but they made a mistake.. Heil Hitler in the end of every message, when our good geek found out that he could crack there system...!!

Sunshineinabag

You are on there servers, yes.. Its like, THE point;)

https://nordvpn.com/what-is-a-vpn/

Check, when google ask for where your at and start nagging like an ex girlfriend who wants you, you are doing it right! hehe.. I cant even go to my mail without Q like is this your PC etc.. Google gets way to much info... Thats some of the reason I "hacked" my phone, so no google account there, VPN always on when internett is on, and of course browsing in private and so on... Dont give people your info for free, thats dumb. If they want you, they catch you, TRUE! BUT they first need to know that they want you.

Had a buddy when I was kid that hacked in to a military systems, NOT in my country, maybe yours? ;) RIP mate!

Crypto is the word.. Enigma, anyone???? Nazi`z knew this, but they made a mistake.. Heil Hitler in the end of every message, when our good geek found out that he could crack there system...!!

apparently my ip address is outa baltimore......lmao they must know im a zappa fan
:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts