What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone know of the Aussie Mango sativa?

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
High everyone,

Wondering if anyone here might know of the typically consistent mango flavoured sativa that gets around the Nth Coast NSW, Australia. I've come across this strain numerous times around the Mullumbimby area where I live. I gather that some of its grown around here and I know of some coming in from around Grafton but it rarely has a single bean in it.

This sativa is very potent and never varies in taste or smell, just always mango to the extreme. I'm yet to find seed to this stuff but I am on the hunt to find her.

Anyone around these boards know anything of it?

Thanx!

BB

westg

ICMag Donor
Hey Billy, pop the question in the Aussie forums you should get a answer there, a few peeps from the nth coast post in there. Good luck i cannot help but know what your talking about. Also at Nimbin mardigrass in May they hold a seed swap which may be beneifical for you to attend?

EDIT Sorry m8 just noticied you have posted in the Aussie forums

Last edited:

Katanaking4165

Hey mate, if you ever ended up finding anything out let me know. Also I have a line on some stuff so reply or whatever and we can get something sorted. Cheers

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Hey mate! How are you doing down there?

I remember 20Thai speaking about the Mango, Old Mother, Victorian Gold, Nimbin Purple and other oldschool aussie sativas from back then...

Unfortunately I've only hear stuff and never seen pics, aside from the Mullum and OMS.

Cheers.

T

Teddybrae

Aussie bloke here:

You're probably referring to Mango Haze originally from Mr Nice. Not an Aussie original but a powerful energising smoke that has become 'naturalised'. The variety weighs heavy and is mould resistant. It is a good outdoor variety for northern NSW and Queensland. There is a 'fat' pheno around at the moment.

Cheers!

KITCHA

Veteran
I think the Mango Sativa he was asking about predates the Mr Nice Mango Haze. I’ve smoked Mango heads from northern nsw in the early to mid nineties and it was amazing. I got some in Macksville as a teenager in the nineties and my best guess is that it was Thai or Vietnamese that come from Thai Buddha sticks or a returning war veteran. I remember getting a shopping bag full, buds still on branches with a sickly sweet mango smell and the smoke was soft and smooth but extremely powerful. Some branches had purple buds that smelt sweet strawberry bubblegum and a different taste all on the same branch that had Mango heads. There were a few seeds that had trade mark tiger stripes wish I could find it again!

Katanaking4165

Hey mate! How are you doing down there?

I remember 20Thai speaking about the Mango, Old Mother, Victorian Gold, Nimbin Purple and other oldschool aussie sativas from back then...

Unfortunately I've only hear stuff and never seen pics, aside from the Mullum and OMS.

Cheers.

Hey mate. Check shantis forum. Bushy has an old thread there with pics of mango haze, and nimbin purple being run outside. Might interest you.

Katanaking4165

I have recently acquired seeds believed to be of this strain also. Am in the process of popping them soon and if they are it, I will have a tonne. Aussie guys you know what to do!

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I think the Mango Sativa he was asking about predates the Mr Nice Mango Haze. I’ve smoked Mango heads from northern nsw in the early to mid nineties and it was amazing. I got some in Macksville as a teenager in the nineties and my best guess is that it was Thai or Vietnamese that come from Thai Buddha sticks or a returning war veteran. I remember getting a shopping bag full, buds still on branches with a sickly sweet mango smell and the smoke was soft and smooth but extremely powerful. Some branches had purple buds that smelt sweet strawberry bubblegum and a different taste all on the same branch that had Mango heads. There were a few seeds that had trade mark tiger stripes wish I could find it again!

The last time i saw it was the 80s i always suspected Northern Nsw but had no real clue of its origins.

Cloneman

Veteran
This is about 15 years ago

This is about 15 years ago

I'd had SSH for years and loved it. I couldn't get Mango haze seeds anywhere so I PM'd Shanti and arranged to buy some seeds, sent the cash from the UK to Italy where he was, bless him he sent 24 seeds back. I did 12 and have still got 12 in the fridge, will hopefully get round to them in a few months with a haze hybrid project.

here's a post from him at that time

I will share with you something interesting about the mango and SSH strain.When Nev had found the female line to breed to the haze male to create SSH there was alot of testing and sampling done by quite some legends.Most of those involved chose the SSH pheno as the SSH but I chose the Mango phenotype as my favourite.Nev was always fascinated that I chose this Mango female above the SSH female.I explained that a long time before when I was living in Main Arm northern NSW in Australia, I had had such an experience from the high effect of a similar female to what we dubbed the mango that I could never forget that plant.Added to that the taste of mangos is the flavour, it was not too difficult to choose.So at that point I went on with the breeding of the Mango line while Nev finished the SSH line...both genetically similar but manifesting such different ranges of the haze side it was almost understandable that people would not believe these two girls are sisters but they are. I do recall that it took 2000 plants to find the SSH from Nev, but alot less for me to find the Mango breeders.So that is why and how we got the two girls...interesting bible fact, maybe for all you sativa addicts.

Mango is a parallel cross of the SSH.That means the same father but different mothers from the same generation that SSH's mother originated from.Lets say you have two sisters and they had children with the same man...basically.Anyhow the reason is personal.I always picked the Mango plant and others picked the SSH plant as preferred smoke.The SSH did very well, so I figured if there was something to go on with it would be that one....as far as practical hazes go.
All the best Shantibaba

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
was a fair bit around up north here where i live with the same name , both the ripe mango aroma and t he green unripe mango aroma also

we suspected it had thai origins also kitcha ...

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, it certainly predated the Mr Nice era but pretty sure I now have it. Was passed some of Kangativa's Mullumbimby Madness beans by a good friend here in the district, the matured bud is loaded with that saturated ripened mangoes smell and the smoke is a real blast from the past, rare to come across anything like it these days.

According to what's said, this line has been lurking around the district since the late 60's and yet she doesn't show up around here all too often. Whether that's because what's produced is exported out of the area, who knows?!

Last breeding I located what I believe to be the rarer pheno Kanga referred to as "The Presence", crossed a lone male and female of these from within a batch of breeders, just need to run a round of the offspring now to determine how well the mango terpenes and potency have carried over but can only expect great things.

billy

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Yep, it certainly predated the Mr Nice era but pretty sure I now have it. Was passed some of Kangativa's Mullumbimby Madness beans by a good friend here in the district, the matured bud is loaded with that saturated ripened mangoes smell and the smoke is a real blast from the past, rare to come across anything like it these days.

According to what's said, this line has been lurking around the district since the late 60's and yet she doesn't show up around here all too often. Whether that's because what's produced is exported out of the area, who knows.

Last breeding I believe I located the rarer pheno Kanga referred to as "The Presence", crossed a lone male and female of these from the batch, just need to run a round of the offspring now to determine how well the mango terpenes and potency have come together but am only expecting great things.

billy

Mullum was in main arm a long time as far back as 78 or before and kanga got given it i think 85.

The Mango heads came from around that part of nsw to i never saw an oz of it only sticks were sold and it had the smell of ripe mango like a bowen mango at Christmas.

It was always tacky almost felt wet and very strong smoke close to what you expect from the real mullum.

I last saw it mid 80s and just like the Mullum never seen again after say 85.

I hope you did find it that line is something very special.