What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Arizona Becomes the 13th State to Legalize Marijuana

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I don't do concentrates, but only 5gm of concentrates seems really, really low? Also if I'm reading this correctly, all 5 states that voted on it approved it! Arizona, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, South Dakota.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I went to jail for a pipe the first time I was in Arizona back in 94. Glad the hear you guys are coming around.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More bull shit regulation to make the normies fell comfortable and to give LEO a platform on which to go back to arresting people.

False legalization. Fake freedom.

Keep the black market strong. F.U.C.K.E.M.

dank.Frank

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
More bull shit regulation to make the normies fell comfortable and to give LEO a platform on which to go back to arresting people.

dank.Frank
Exactly this!
Arizona was legal prior to this with a few restrictions. One of which is what got Subcool busted shortly before his death.
He was issued licenses to grow and stayed within the state limits, however he was loud and continually bitched online about bullshit laws until...........
eventually somebody got pissed off and called the law on him. The cops came in took all his grow equipment, plants and anything even remotely related to weed. They also cleaned out his safe which was the cash he needed for his COPD meds and infusions.

The reasoning they used to bust him, even though he was completely legal was that he was growing within the 25 mile limits of a dispensary.
It seems to me that those issuing the license should be the ones responsible to see if a dispensary is within 25 miles of your grow, not the person requesting the license.

wwoww

dank.Frank
You are right. I used to sell NorCal pounds out in PHX and everyone loved them. When I first got there I did ounces for 100 and everyone said they were better than stuff they'd get for 220 at a dispensary. The black market will live forever. Legal weed is a lie. They only want it legal if you go to their licensed stores and they get all the business for themselves.

Amynamous

Legalization means different things to different people.
To me, If it means We’re not going to jail for a seed or a roach, then it just gets better from there.

Vandenberg

Time to make the donuts ( Pop those seeds!)

Time to make the donuts ( Pop those seeds!)

Marijuana possession and consumption will be legal for adults 21 and older in Arizona once the ballots are certified, which will likely be by December 3, 2020.
However, dispensaries will not be able to legally sell recreational marijuana until they get licensed, which should be sometime in March 2021 (but could be early). Home cultivation will also become legal once the initiative is certified.

Key facts about the new law:

– Allows adults 21 and older to buy and possess up to 1 ounce of marijuana with no more than 5 grams being concentrates (extracts).

– Limits personal home cultivation to six cannabis plants per individual’s primary residence and twelve plants at a residence where two or more persons 21 or older reside.

– Recreational marijuana dispensaries will open. The Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) will issue licenses following the application acceptance period from Jan 19 – Mar 9, 2021. Many medical marijuana dispensaries will get a recreational license which will allow them to sell medical and recreational marijuana from their current medical marijuana dispensary location(s).

– A 16% excise tax (similar to alcohol and cigarettes) will be imposed on recreational cannabis sold at state-licensed dispensaries. The tax revenue will fund various state agencies and community programs.

– Marijuana use is still illegal in public places but is only be a petty offence for any offenders.

– Arizona lawmakers have until April 5, 2021 to establish regulations for the state’s new, voter-approved adult-use cannabis industry.

In many states, the launch of a recreational marijuana industry has improved the states’ medical marijuana programs by reducing the annual medical marijuana card fee and by reducing the cost for medical marijuana.

The new industry should generate thousands of new jobs and millions of dollars in annual revenue that will improve the state.

“This is a monumental achievement for Arizonans,” AZmarijuana.com stated.
“This law will create new jobs, new revenue for state programs, and give law enforcement more time to focus on preventing and solving real crimes instead of on people who are just using or possessing small amounts of marijuana.”

---------+++++++---------+++++++))((
An old friend of mine did two years for two plants in Arizona in the late sixties. They used to love to try to find that felony roach in your ashtray, let a lone an alligator clip attached (felony paraphernalia charge). Times are a-changin'.
Vandenberg :)

Boscoe

They only want it legal if you go to their licensed stores and they get all the business for themselves.

I only want it legal so I can grow my two plants for personal use in peace and so that other people's lives don't continue to be destroyed for nothing.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Exactly this!
Arizona was legal prior to this with a few restrictions. One of which is what got Subcool busted shortly before his death.
He was issued licenses to grow and stayed within the state limits, however he was loud and continually bitched online about bullshit laws until...........
eventually somebody got pissed off and called the law on him. The cops came in took all his grow equipment, plants and anything even remotely related to weed. They also cleaned out his safe which was the cash he needed for his COPD meds and infusions.

The reasoning they used to bust him, even though he was completely legal was that he was growing within the 25 mile limits of a dispensary.
It seems to me that those issuing the license should be the ones responsible to see if a dispensary is within 25 miles of your grow, not the person requesting the license.

It looks like that 25 mile rule is gone, or is it? All I read about before was how dispensaries seemed to have the map covered with their 25 mile circles, and the road distance being a lot longer didn't matter.

Stdane

How it ended for Subcool in Maricopa, AZ.....in a friend words!

In October 2017, Subcool lost everything when massive California wildfires burned his beautiful Northern California home, ranch, and outdoor and indoor cannabis gardens. His motherplants, photos, computers, clones, and most of his seed inventory was incinerated as he escaped through the flames just before he too would have been burnt to a crisp.
Thus began an odyssey that ended when he chose Arizona as his new home. He told me California’s so-called marijuana legalization regulations were “costly and stupid, designed to work against small growers and in favor of venture capitalist greedy assholes.”
He’d spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on “compliance attorneys” and grow op infrastructure costs in a futile effort to qualify as a legal California cannabis grower and seed producer. “The state and cities tax weed way too much, the compliance attorneys and the regulators all profit off of California’s fake legalization. They’re all in bed together. The more I spent to make my 100% safe and perfect grow op meet their regs, the more they said I had to spend,” he complained.
Eventually, he came to believe Arizona’s marijuana legalization regulations would be easier to work with, and moved to a home in the Arizona desert. In his Weed Nerd videos from the Arizona era, you see him talking excitedly about new strains, and converting a drained swimming pool into a large grow op. He and business partners also converted a closed bowling alley into a huge, high-tech indoor grow op.
All this time, Subcool was struggling just to stay alive. In 2014, he disclosed to me his ongoing battle with cardiopulmonary obstructive disorder, sometimes known as COPD or emphysema. He preferred to believe that the potentially fatal disease was caused only by a rare genetic disorder rather than his constant inhalation of combusted and vaporized whole cannabis and cannabis concentrates.
He had no health insurance, and had to pay a ton of money for expensive COPD treatments and medicines. He attempted to cut back on how much cannabis he inhaled by switching to tinctures and edibles. But he loved inhaling cannabis.
“I turned to burning pure dry sift and other organic resins, thinking that would save my lungs,” Subcool explained. “It didn’t really work.”

The dry desert air was good for his lungs, and he experienced what he hoped was a healing renaissance in his personal life. His long-time romantic partnership with a woman in California had ended in brutal acrimony and bitterness, and he was hesitant to ever trust and fall in love with a woman again.
Then he met a young woman who was a fan of his Weed Nerd shows and outlandish persona. He “adopted” the woman and her young baby, and they moved in with him in Arizona.
When I saw Subcool, his young lover and the baby together, they looked like an extremely happy, stable American family. He was more energized, optimistic and centered than I’d ever seen him.
As he moved to expand his cannabis empire by selling high-quality cannabis concentrates, I was happy to believe he’d finally found a good home and had good people around him.
But those sweet days were soon to end. On October 25, 2019, Subcool shocked me with this news:
“We just got robbed at gunpoint by nearly 30 Maricopa County sheriff officers. They stole everything, including all my money, seeds, plants, medicine, vehicles and my bank accounts. Apparently someone narked on me. I thought I was totally legal and compliant. This is devastating,” he said.
At first, he wanted Growing Marijuana Perfectly to have all the insider details of the raid and to do a big article about it, but his attorney told him that would harm his chances of beating the charges or escaping a prison sentence.
So Subcool hardly told anybody about being busted, and told me not to write about the raid. Thus, nobody reported the raid, leaving growers all around the world wondering what happened to Subcool’s new Arizona-based cannabis seeds and concentrates website, and why wasn’t he making new Weed Nerd videos.
Subcool was spiraling into depression, despair and suicidality. He realized he’d made a big error moving to Maricopa County, Arizona. If you’ve heard of Maricopa County before, it’s probably because its former long-time sheriff Joe Arpaio was known as a racist bully and dangerous intimidator who thought it funny to house prisoners in crude tents in the desert where temperatures often reach 120°F.
Arpaio fancied himself a celebrity sheriff, and was constantly in the news because of lawsuits, and reports of his department’s racial profiling, embezzlement, abused and dead prisoners, entrapment, and his right-wing comments expressing hatred of Latinos and other immigrants.
During Arpaio’s 15 years in office, there were big-money lawsuits won by inmates abused in his jails, a $100 million misallocation of county funds, failed prosecutions of politicians and judges, and disgusting mishandling of 400 sex crime cases—many involving children.
Litigation defending Arpaio’s bad actions cost taxpayers nearly $150 million.
Arpaio was convicted of criminal contempt in a case related to racial profiling in 2017 and faced up to six months in jail, where prisoners would likely have gotten justified revenge on him.
But instead of going to jail, Arpaio was saved by President Donald Trump who along with pardoning war criminals and financial crimes fraudsters, issued Arpaio a presidential pardon that blocked the punishment he deserved.
And even though Arpaio is a convicted criminal he’s running for sheriff again in 2020, even after being ousted by voters in 2016 and failing in a bid to get elected as a U.S. senator in 2018.
Arpaio wasn’t sheriff in 2019 when Subcool was busted, but his legacy of hating marijuana and creating a gangsterish police agency lived on. And as Subcool and his attorneys examined his case file, they discovered his arrest had been enabled in part by a secret regulation the city of Mesa had instituted, stating that anyone growing marijuana had to file a garden registration with the city government.
“But they never told anybody about this requirement,” Subcool lamented. “My very experienced attorney and my business associates who have been compliant with Arizona’s marijuana growing laws for nearly a decade didn’t know about it. That’s how the local government made my entire grow op illegal without me knowing it, and got the search warrant.”
As soon as he was raided, the happy days ended for Subcool. He told me he felt cursed and jinxed. I urged him to get more medical care and seek counseling after he told me the following depressing news and feelings:
“They’re trying to seize this home I live in even though it’s just a rent-to-own deal; my name isn’t even on the lease. So now within a few days I’ll be homeless. My credit score is destroyed by the raid because they seized all my bank accounts and cash. I have two dogs, so finding a place to rent isn’t easy. I’ve thought about camping in a tent or living in an RV, and I’ve tried it a little, but I’m so sick and broke, I don’t know if I can continue to manage it. Plus, I have to have a permanent address where doctors can send my COPD meds. I can’t just live on the road like a wandering gypsy. The lawyer says maybe I won’t get any jail time; I could end up in a diversion probation program, but that sucks too.”
As I spoke with Subcool, I wished I knew of a crisis support center near him. It seemed he was giving up on life and withdrawing from the few people he still trusted. He tried to start a legal business selling supersoil, but the proceeds weren’t enough to fund a decent home for him.
In mid-January 2020, I received a cryptic message from him which I’ve edited to anonymize the names of individuals Subcool mentioned. Here’s what he said:
“I’m wasting my talent and life now. I never planned to have to move somewhere while I’m sick and solo and worried about going to prison. I hate life but I get up each day and work on. I found out that the cops were watching me on Facebook and Instagram. I discovered that [name redacted] stole all the cash I had hidden that the police didn’t get, and she’s out having a great time with my $30,000. I already knew that [name redacted] has been slagging me online, falsely claiming I’m a pedophile and saying other stupid shit. I cry a lot, and am drinking alcohol, because I don’t have any cannabis. I have only a few days to find a home for me and the dogs, and my lung function is at 27%. I feel like I’m drowning in my own lungs. You go ahead and write my story after I’m gone. I miss the good days of being Subcool. Maricopa was a massive mistake. All I can say is ‘one love, brother,’ and thank you for being one of few good people I met in the marijuana industry.”
Subcool said this to me in mid-January. After that, he never responded to my numerous emails or phone calls. When I heard about coronavirus and COVID-19, and how it’s especially lethal for people with lung problems, I feared the worst.
Then came the terrible but not completely unexpected news—one of Subcool’s business associates told me he died destitute, abandoned, despairing and unable to breathe, at the end of January 2020. Rest in Power!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I read the Subcool saga in real time back then. I had just found ICMag, and spent a lot of time here then. The story makes me sad and very angry, and a little worried. And now... Maricopa county is letting 'em free.

https://azmarijuana.com/arizona-med...sing-marijuana-charges-effective-immediately/

I feel anger that the universe can turn a man's life around so fast and hard, with the .guv and a snitch giving it more than a helping hand. Sad that it happened at all, cause he was happy and a groovin, it sounds like. What did he do wrong to bring this down upon himself, or is fate a mean bitch too? He definitely did not get away with life. RIP. :ying:

I have come to believe that the terps are good for your lungs. If he was smoking organic sift, and his O2 was still degrading, that sounds like more reason for me to vape the medicinal terps, and eat the remaining oils. I've seen the oils accumulating inside Volcano bags when heated too hard for too long, and felt the effect.

Edit: Damn stoney distractions... So I came here because AZ has legalized pot. I am looking for my next landing spot, so AZ is on the radar now. I like the hilly area in the center on toward the NE corner.

If one oz is OK, 2.5 oz the max limit of OK, what about the guy who grows 6 plants and keeps a few pounds around? Saying an ounce is OK, that just makes the loadees off the hook for having the stuff. What about someone growing their annual stash?

Last edited:

Zero Hedge

Veteran
If one oz is OK, 2.5 oz the max limit of OK, what about the guy who grows 6 plants and keeps a few pounds around? Saying an ounce is OK, that just makes the loadees off the hook for having the stuff. What about someone growing their annual stash?

... The Man is wise, and we are still outlaws in their eyes :tumbleweed:

Boscoe

My understanding is that those limits are only for transport. The initiative was kind of confusingly written, but it does seem that the limits only apply outside your home. Because seriously, who could grow 12 plants (the maximum if there are 2 or more adults living there) and not end up with more than an oz?? :biggrin:

az prices are sky high ~ so greedy ~ I've always been disappointed in the legal weed situation ~ I just want to grow ~ but I'm an apartment dweller so that's not going to happen ~ at least in Oregon you can afford weed & smoke it at your apartment

Latest posts

Latest posts