What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New to Autoflowering. Any tips?

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
anytime ab. aridbud n afterthought xtremely generous on extraz . you are the preeminent seedster bro

my tips. best light, feed a bit every few waterings, start with original container.

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
:yeahthats
Also don't top Auto's. They have such a short life cycle you'll be impacting yield. They don't have enough veg time to fully recuperate.

As Aridbud mentioned you can follow my guide here:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341388

(I hope to rewrite it one day. Looking back at it I see there are several parts that needs more explanation.)

For question regarding Auto's. Please listen to Aridud his advice. He has an enormous amount of experience growing and breeding them.

As you can see in my pictures below you don't even need high wattage to achieve a decent yield if you follow this guide.

Jack Herer Auto 150w HPS by Cvh:
(All buds in the pictures are off a single plant. The ballast is 250w but had to be dimmed down to 150w before seeds sprouted because of heatwave.)

picture.php

A few buds:
picture.php

Complete yield:
picture.php

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also don't top Auto's. They have such a short life cycle you'll be impacting yield. They don't have enough veg time to fully recuperate.
Exactly. Thanks Cvh.

Nexus7

Hey Nexus-7
I PM'd cvh to repost his awesome time line regarding autos....best info out there.

Definitely some helpful info there. Good to see it stickied now for quick reference :)

my tips. best light, feed a bit every few waterings, start with original container.

Roger that. She's in a 25L container now and getting plenty of intense natural light. I might even put another direct in the same container just in case the first one doesn't yield.

:yeahthats

As Aridbud mentioned you can follow my guide here:

(I hope to rewrite it one day. Looking back at it I see there are several parts that needs more explanation.)

Nice guide bro! Thanks for taking the time to right it up.

I don't even top or lst my photos so wouldn't dream of topping this auto.

Nice big buds on the Jackie Herer there. Most impressive :good:

Nexus7

That Capt. Ahab Azure Rocket report certainly does sound nice. Hat's off to the grower and breeder! :tiphat:

Ease up on Sall though guys. Seems like he just got his wires crossed a little bit and was trying to help.

Sure topping some auto's may improve yield in certain circumstances when you know your genetics and are an experienced auto grower but if you're a newbie to auto's like me with unknown genetics it's probably best to leave them un-topped as arid suggests.

Peace

N7

Slim Pickens

Veteran
I have seen mention of amending whatever medium is being used with 30% coco.This past outdoor season I put a couple of seeds out in small containers as a trial.I'm not sure if it made a large difference or not,but it was easier to water,as there was no (or very little) crust to break through.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have seen mention of amending whatever medium is being used with 30% coco.This past outdoor season I put a couple of seeds out in small containers as a trial.I'm not sure if it made a large difference or not,but it was easier to water,as there was no (or very little) crust to break through.

Yes, mixing in coir into soil mix helps, using ~30%. Great tip!

djibra

start in final pot, give as much light as possible in first few weeks.. go easy on the nutes in the first few weeks .. dont top, supercop or do a mainline.. just a bit of leaf tucking and eventually lollipoping.. 😀
good luck mate

The single biggest difference is: no need for a dark period with autos, so you can in theory give them 24 hours of light if you please & they'll be fine. Most growers prefer a 20/4 or 18/6 on/off schedule to save on electricity but it's totally up to you. What you DON'T wanna do is go below 18 hours of lights-on per day because all autos are on a tight schedule & can be stunted by not getting all the light they need. If you do give a dark period, it does not have to be completely dark--light leaks are absolutely fine.

Don't top or FIM an auto unless it's got 5 nodes by Week 2. Again, they're on a tight schedule & doing these types of training can stunt their vertical growth. LST, defoliation & most other forms of training are perfectly fine.

Start with 1/4th the amount of fertilizer the container recommends & work your way up. If you're growing in good soil, don't fertilize until Week 3. Keep feeding something with a decent amount of nitrogen all the way through pre-flower (Week 6) to prevent N deficiency in flower.

Some autos can grow as tall as regular plants depending on the strain & growing conditions. Make sure to check out the height & yield info before buying seeds. Some are only a few inches tall.

Harvest when the plant looks ready (shrunken dark pistils & cloudy/amber trichomes). The breeder's recommendation is usually a bit on the fast side, so give it a week or two extra if it doesn't look done. 60-85 days from seed is the general time frame that I've seen for most autos.

...just a few things off the top of my head. Don't be intimidated by autos. They're much easier than photos in my experience.

Nexus7

Thanks for all the tips guys :)

As it turns out after speaking to the guy who made the beans they weren't actually autos after all and not feminized either.

They were just auto white widow x white widow photo regs.

And just my luck I got 2 from 2 males.

Anyway thanks for all the info. I guess it's good for future reference for anyone new to Autos.

Thanks

N7

King kahn

Can I throw plants outside in begging of January and get them to flower, They would be about 12-16 inches when they went out, or would they just flower and re-veg and spaz out.

rocker

Bummer but....

Bummer but....

Hey N7, sorry you ended up with males, hope you give it another try and have better luck.
Just wanted to say thanks for the thread, it does have lots of good information, I’ll be reading it again, I plan on a auto run after the new year.
Peace

Nexus7

Hey N7, sorry you ended up with males, hope you give it another try and have better luck.
Just wanted to say thanks for the thread, it does have lots of good information, I’ll be reading it again, I plan on a auto run after the new year.
Peace

Yeah it's been a pretty unlucky growing season for me so far. I had a very early flowering Philosopher - Early Maroc feminized seedling growing that got ripped out by a bird or something as well another of the WW Auto/photo seedling.

Anyway when life gives you males made seed I say!

So I'll hopefully be crossing those WW Auto/photo genetics into a fem Kali China I got going if all goes well.

Glad this thread could help and good luck for your upcoming grow!

N7

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
Can I throw plants outside in begging of January and get them to flower, They would be about 12-16 inches when they went out, or would they just flower and re-veg and spaz out.
yes you can but try to pregrow them under 20/ 4 lights and transplant outdoors or greenhouse firm plants

picture.php

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Autos prefer optimum environment, although some do ok. Depends on night time temperature. Good luck!

djibra

if you can give them 24/0 untill preflower.. be light with nutes in the first 2 weeks...don’t remove nothing untill preflower...bend/lst if you want and have height issues...

I followed Autobeasts thread "How to grow a perfect autoflower start to finish" & found it to be crap myself. Bio-Biz is crap unless you mix it with something like Fox Farms Ocean Forrest. I think he works for Bio-Biz & is just promoting that soil. His grows aren't that impressive if you compare them to some of the other grows on that site. Some of those guys are pulling 13 oz. dry weight off one auto. Waira & Sgt. Tom grow much bigger plants then Autobeast. Just my opinion. To each their own.

Latest posts

Latest posts