What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kerala, RSC

ngakpa

Veteran
self important pedantic goofs.

self-important pedantic goofs are fine by me, mate, I have all those qualities myself even on a good day

it's the malign atmosphere from some of the 'busier' posters that pushes me away, and there's the added factor that there's every reason to believe these are clearly people with serious problems in their offline lives

fact is, I've met some proper nasty characters offline through the online seed collecting and landrace 'community', and there are some posters on here that are just a regular reminder of that, with the constant background thought of 'I wonder what a feck up like that gets up to when he's not on this site' (and 'he' is the right word here, let's face it)

basically, I've got better things to with my time, not least of which is to enjoy life

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
(...)

basically, I've got better things to with my time,(...)

So you can remove the photo and my words from your website since 8 years hey!... I've just seen that the Maz ones are out finally! ^^

I talk about this one from 2010 :
picture.php

(Kerala indoors at approx. 100 days - the grower writes: "minty/pepper/cigar/choco smoke, the same complex dark thing like Thai and Swazi/(Malawi)... Some of the best energic kick, long lasting and complex psychedelic high I have experienced no doubt!)

(you're lucky that i'm not greedy and cupide after all this time and good free and anonymous services, the lawyer smiles, enjoy life man)

ngakpa

Veteran
my latest girl that got chopped was November 15th. my favorite, she was so late, half the Kerala boys finished flowering before she started.

it's really interesting how early these are...

in Kerala I was told that traditionally farmers would leave harvests late as possible, well into Jan or Feb

but in the last few decades pressure from law enforcement has been heavy... tribal groups are allowed to grow a few plants, but commercial grows are illegal

maybe the speed these are finishing is a result of artificial selective pressures over the last couple of decades, ie seeds from quicker crops are the ones likely surviving for new seasons

I got the original seeds, with some difficulty, from an old farmer in 2015 in Idukki, and these plants here are second generation

ngakpa

Veteran
The reason for my favorite latest female. Is she was a stand out. Aroma, structure and from initial smoke tests she was 3x potent.

nice, three times anything much has to be pretty special

with a June planting and November harvest, and all those other qualities, it shows the potential here

it also shows how these old landraces can clearly be turned into exceptional strains very quickly and with just a little work

so you got some seeds on this stand out plant, right?

Green

Veteran
Friends, brothers, fellow herb nerds you guys are making me laugh, hahahaha

Yesum- sending good vibrations your way
Roms- sending good vibrations your way
Ngakpa- sending good vibrations your way

I can only speak from observation of a small batch of individuals in regards of finishing times at my particular latitude . I am wondering if this is cultivated twice a year in its homeland? Here in the tropics we have 1/2/3 seasons per year depending on variety . Is it possible this is a two season cultivar? First season from Summer-oct/nov then second season oct/nov-Jan/feb? As this quite reasonable under the tropical photoperiod.

Yes, definitely gems and unique highs to be found in these landraces. We just need more explorers.

Yes, this stand out female was pollinated by the later finishing Kerala males (early kerala males finished to early for her)

Hope everyone had a good solstice, may your days grow longer and women’s clothes become less.

ngakpa

Veteran
I can only speak from observation of a small batch of individuals in regards of finishing times at my particular latitude .

hi there,

Idukki is 10 degrees N
Hawaii is 19 degree N

that's surely neither here nor there so far as flowering goes

I am wondering if this is cultivated twice a year in its homeland? Here in the tropics we have 1/2/3 seasons per year depending on variety . Is it possible this is a two season cultivar? First season from Summer-oct/nov then second season oct/nov-Jan/feb? As this quite reasonable under the tropical photoperiod.

afaik, Kerala does just the one season:

June to Aug sowing, cropping from Dec to Feb ish

that's in contrast to Thailand and Laos, where they do two seasons, one along the same dates, and a better crop sown around Sept and cropped around March in the dry heat

I have a feeling that the reason Kerala doesn't do the same may be due to the weird double monsoon it gets, but don't quote me on that

sometimes these things are just about tradition:

Manipur does a June/July to Dec/Jan crop, whereas Bengal which is not far west from Manipur used to do the Sept to March thing

the March harvest makes more sense if you're on that monsoon cycle as you get veg during the rains and then flowering can ripen up in the dry intense sunshine

Yes, definitely gems and unique highs to be found in these landraces. We just need more explorers.

Yes, this stand out female was pollinated by the later finishing Kerala males (early kerala males finished to early for her)

really interesting report, looking forward to more, hope you had a groovy solstice

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Hopefully I have some Kerala going by time your smoke report is done... #1 on my list. I'll make sure I keep it pretty, and updated.

Green

Veteran

Here are few photos of the stand out, latest female.

@ herb green, thanks dude

@Dr.young keep us updated curious to what you find... happy to find more explorers.

@ ngakpa yes very curious how early these are. 50% of the females were harvested at oct. 3rd and the the latest mid Nov. As per usual I have more questions then answers, haha.

At my particular latitude the RSC Manipuri was harvested in January and the RSC highland Thai was harvested December.

No problem, will be happy to smoke a lot Kerala and give a proper smoke report. haha

Happy new year everybody!!!

meizzwang

inspiring and beautiful, thanks for that Green!

Any preliminary smoke reports? I promise we'll take it with a grain of salt until you have a nice long cure, just curious about flavor and comparing long cure versus "just dried."

therevverend

Veteran
Wow all of Green's Keralan plants finished in 4-5 months. I'm curious at what point they started flowering? Green has the advantage of growing at a low latitude. At higher latitudes, California for instance, I would expect the strain to finish much later because the days are longer.

For instance, in Mumbai India day length on the summer solstice is 13 hours 16 minutes long. In San Francisco the day length is 14 hours 46 minutes. This is why growing tropical strains at northern latitudes is such a headache. The date these plants began flowering is important because you can calculate both the length of day required and how long it will take to finish. Most tropical strains not only require short days but require more days to finish.

Some of these strains push the limits of 'landrace' considering the degree of selection the growers have exerted. South Indian ganja has had a reputation for high quality for a long time with some growers even growing sinsemilla, or at least as close as they can get given hermaphrodites and feral hemp. As Ngpka suggests growers may have been selecting for earlier flowering strains.

Or they may be growing hybrids crossing their strains with seeds from Northern India. Day length reaches 13 hours at New Delhi on August 1st for instance. A north Indian strain would significantly quicken the start of flowering and we know things aren't like the good old days when growers could wait until January to harvest. I'd be curious if anyone is still growing such long flowering strains.

A strain that finishes in January, that began flowering at 12 hours on the fall solstice would take 3 months or around 18 weeks to finish. Selecting for earlier onset of flowering is one thing, selecting for quicker flowering is another and maybe the more difficult of the two.

Questions questions what a shame that in India of all places we lack knowledge about this kind of basic stuff. Hopefully some of this is going to change a guy I know got a license to grow ganja for the Indian government. It is the first such license and the only license they will issue.

He'll be growing mostly CBD strains to research for Ayurvedic and Western medicine. They're serious about incorporating ganja back into their traditional medicine. Of course CBD is a big deal worldwide there's a lot of different countries getting their hands on it I'm not surprised India is joining them. He'll be growing in far northern India I told him this is a mistake but that's how it goes. Makes me wish I was younger and healthier I'd be headed to India to grow next spring if I was.

Green

Veteran
meizzwang- Smoke reports take hours for me to write up. I find it such a hard time translating the subjective effects into the English language. It’s like translating music in to English. No matter how good you describe the tempo, rhythm , mood, the catchy chorus, the crescendo in language. It still falls utterly short, to the experience of listening to actual music. Anyways, sorry to go philosophic. But some of these pure satties need time. Don’t worry though I’ll get around to it, hehe

Pepe, thanks dude

The revverend - I went looking through my notes and photograph dates, but couldn’t find any concrete dates on when the Keralans initiated flowering. My apologies. So my summer solstice is 13.5 hours of day. And my winter solstice is 10.5 hours of day. If that helps any.

Thank you for pointing out the difference between the initial onset time of flowering and length of flowering. These are indeed two different aspects. Often times I see growers use indoor terminology which doesn’t translate correctly with the movement of the celestial.

Good news, with some of these early flowering individuals, might do quite well at some mid latitudes. Especially selection after a few generations.

Buy the ticket and take the ride I guess

B

BMISS genetics

I've always been interested in strain from RSC... Hope it turns out to be some good smoke for u...

squatty

Beautiful stuff Green. I'm also interested in this as I recently got a pack of these seeds. I'm anxiously waiting till we move back to Hawaii to start these.

W

Water-

i would love a smoke report on her, she looks like an incredible strain...

I highly appreciate people posting pics.
but i would rather have no pics and a smoke report.

ill try them this winter in hawaii and decide for myself and let you all know how it goes.

Latest posts

Latest posts