What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

washing off diatemaceous earth

914safbmx

ok about a week ago i was facing a pretty bad pest problem. caterpillars and stinkbugs just didnt seemed phased by any all natural sprays so i dusted DE all over my plants and it worked great. figured it was safe because i still only had just the beginnings of preflowers here and there. but now i have some real deal buds starting to chunk up and i can see that there is plenty of residual DE getting caught up in the flower. whats the best plan for washing it off?? i dont want to use just water because im in an extremely humid climate. went through all the trouble of building a greenhouse so i can hardly bare the thought of getting them wet!!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Take 35% hydrogen peroxide and dilute some to 3% strength. Mix one ounce of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon of water. Dunk your branches in it, let them sit for a minute, swlsh them around a bit and then rinse in a different container.

You'll be surprised how dirty the rinse water gets, not to mention the h202 quick soak bucket. :D

You can't have it both ways. I would use a pump sprayer and work from the top down, do it first thing in the morning and move the air with any and all fans that you can get your hands on, mop up any standing water you can and open all the ventilation on the greenhouse. By nightfall things will be dry.
Although non toxic, I wouldn't like the grittiness in the forming buds.

914safbmx

thanks for the suggestions guys. i have a lot of diff strains naturally flipping at a diff times. i think the furthest along is about 3 weeks in. buds are still tiny and undeveloped. i did a quick test wash on one plant with a very very gentle spray and the diatemaceous earth comes off incredibly easy. this weekend im going to wash the rest very gently with some EM1 mixed into the water. i figure a little lactobacillus will help to prevent against any mold issue that could possibly arise from the wash

Satyros

Seems to be saying insects are inside the greenhouse.

Wouldn't a better use of DE be in making a border around the whole thing? Try to prevent bugs from entry?

914safbmx

Seems to be saying insects are inside the greenhouse.

Wouldn't a better use of DE be in making a border around the whole thing? Try to prevent bugs from entry?

i had to kill the stink bugs that were already all over the plants. it worked great. i also made a perimeter to prevent any more migrant bugs.

Satyros

Ok, yeah, of course you had to get rid of what was already inside. Hopefully the perimeter will slow down the migration.

For a natural spray, the one I have found that works really good is a 10% dilution of castile soap in water. Don't think I've tried it on a stink bug specifically, but it's fatal to the insects I sprayed with it. Might take a couple extra squirts and be slower than a synthetic, but it killed two eruptions of winged ants from a ceiling, and one thing about DE is that it is a poor performer in the upwards direction.

Latest posts

Latest posts