What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

REAL Landrace Colombian Gold.

TicalionStalion

so, I work hydro shops, and I have for the better part of a decade. Anyway, It all started about 6-7 years ago when a customer came in with a mini jar of Colombian Gold.

The shop owner and myself couldn't BELIEVE how nice this was, grown in super soil under 1000w HPS...the high seemed to have had no ceiling, super giggly, ispiring, coversation starting, creativity, and to boot, it feels like your head is on a balloon 6 feet over you head, with a nice top of the dome halo buzz constantly. Couldn't believe it, a sativa I had been in search of for years. the TASTE and SMELL! HAZE. Haze haze haze. Cantaloupe (yeah, that's how you spell it, had to look that one up HAH!) SCRAIGHT up cantaloupe. smell and taste match each other. but that REAL sativa, Haaaaaze is what it had going on.

The story goes, the older gentleman (from out of state, the customer from the shop) was in the army during Nam' ...and one of his close Army buddies has family in Colombia. Well, they end up finding each other, and sharing the same flight shortly after meeting up again in an airport far far away. So they chop it up on the plane, talking about what each other had been doing for the last X amount of years. To make a long story short, the friend hears he has/had been growing and had been trying to find "what they had when they were kids" Well the guy, being from, and having family in Colombia arranges beanz to be mailed to my old customer, this was a couple 15 yrs ago atleast. He Pheno hunts the small amount of beans from the Gold they had been growing naturally for 60-80+ years, maybe longer in that area of Columbia, finds a winner pheno, and rocks with it for years and years before I even met him (dudes more than twice my age). Its pretty much all he wants to grow!

so after 6 years or so of asking this guy for cuttings, he FINALLY comes through. I grew them out in a 4x8 tent under 2x 1000w setups, in hand made super soil, (old vic high recipe) fed very little with some Herculean Harvest (liquid bone meal, 0-10-0) and a fair amount of mammoth P. I did 4 plants under 2000w in 5 gal smart pots, I yielded roughly 12-13 zips per plant, w some BIG colas.

here's some pics of the finished well cured product. This is as legit as I can see it getting folks, mind you this was only my first run. If I didnt get a new phone (and didnt want them converting my pics over LOL) I woulda been able to show the live plants.

She will forever remain a staple in my garden and flower at least one with every run. not the strongest obviously, its a strain 3 times older than myself at the VERY least lol. At this time, being that my dude didn't give it to anyone but me, I would have to assume only 2 people in the USA are rocking THIS Colombian gold. but that's why I'm posting it, I thought it'd make for great discussion...

I've hooked up some old heads with it, they take a toke and look at me shocked and wide eyed before they blow it out.."This is it!" I wouldnt know being an 80s baby.

Thanks yall! Peace kids. I HOPE some of my old overgrow.com refugees chime in! my old crew. Haven't made a post in YEARS!

mack 10

Veteran
Lucky score. S1 that baby so its not lost to time.
There are thousands that would love the chance of tasting
That Gold again.

TicalionStalion

I went 88 days, but one plant still had some clear trichs. next time I may go a little longer, we'll see. well, of course its going to look different, its been indoor grown for 20 years already before I got to it. and he selected that pheno, he had ones that were completely not conducive for growing indoors.

thanks guys! no modern hybrid here.

Iv put in one other persons hands, probably the best grower i know. I call him the vault, I can give him something, he'll have it 10 yrs later. dude pulls 4 lbs off 12 plants, soil garden. 1000 watts. He used to run a 16k and an 8k flower simultaneously. mind you I'm in a non rec, hardly med state. So a 16k grow is pretty good for these parts. but yes, I will ensure its survival.

A part of me feels like the guy I got it from only let it out because he didn't want it to die with him. hes in his late 60s id say.

TicalionStalion

I see a hybrid

Jesus, how did I know this would happen, Water how long have you been growing? how old are you? do you know what Overgrow.com even was? if you had been a member for 12-13 years I wouldn't be asking.

any old heads on here who remember me know I don't fuck around. don't hate, appreciate the heritage.

and No Ill tone toward you in this at all my friend. I'm just wondering why your such an authority. maybe i'm the asshole, who knows.

W

Water-

why come on here proclaiming something is " REAL Landrace Colombian Gold" if you can not in anyway prove it?

all you have is a second hand story and bud pics that look like a hybrid.

Ncali

Veteran
Comon man. He's been here 4 months, I think he's paid his dues... lol. Places like OG are few and far between these days on the web man, an era long passed it seems.

Seriously though, there will be sceptics regardless my friend. A nice sativa effect with what sounds like great indoor growing characteristics is special no matter the name on the label. Everyone is quick to be a hater these days, it is the internet you know?

Anyways, thanks for sharing the finished product, looks like some kind Sat bud. Any veg or flower shots?

:tiphat: NC

WelderDan

Veteran
I grew the "real deal" back in the 70's. I can say for a fact that it won't look like what we got in the 70's for the simple fact that A: what you grew was indoor, and B: the way the 70's weed was processed and cured is far different than the way you grew and cured.

Sooo, that being said, it's hard to say for sure what you have is OG 'Lumbo gold, however it looks like primo herb and there's no way to tell from a pic if it's truly legit.

The real deal took 12-14 weeks or more to mature and because of harvest and cure methods used by the Colombian growers back in the day, the weed direct from the source at the time didn't look like what we grew from the seeds in those bags.

So, maybe it is, maybe it ain't, but without a genetic test, it's nearly impossible to tell for sure. It does look a lot like what we grew from seeds we got back in the day.

oldbootz

Veteran
All these heritage threads need to remember that one persons story often becomes another persons dogma. There is no way to tell what a plant really is. Even phylo genetic records are not quite there yet.

We should mostly disregard this information. Who really cares where it comes from when you consume it? At that point all you care about is taste and effect right?

Well that's how i see it. The back "story" for me is good to get an idea of what to expect. But I will always judge by smoke test if I like something, or would like to continue growing it.

Many hyped things have found there way into my garden and turned out disappointing in some way.

Many under-hyped things with simple names like this x that have turned out amazing.

Hype can be misleading.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad you like it, in the end that is all that matters. I have some legit USC '72 Colombian Gold and it looks very sativa, whereas yours looks to have been hit with some indica.

If that strain is pure from 80 years ago I think there is little chance it would look like that. My CG does look like sativas from the early 70's except fresher and not compressed.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Different regions have different plants too so depending where it came from could affect how it's looking, it's possible that it is pure and it's possible it could have been crossed. Either way he stated how he got it and that is honesty to me, so what is the point debated if it is pure or not, he's not selling seeds with a description he is merely sharing the story and pictures so good on him and thank you for sharing.

W

Water-

some of the best herb I have ever smoked have been hybrids with tropical varieties so im not doubting its killer herb.

Last edited:

rolandomota

i beleive you man maybe it is a hybrid but its mostly colombian sativa. Cantaloupe you say and haze so im thinking pine and cantaloupe?

This makes me want to pop and f2 my 15 cantaloupe skunks we all know skunk has Colombian. Its the only skunk i want to grow its bred to be more sativa. Insane seed posse made this i see them at hmp dpot so maybe a cross with a more sativa male of cantaloupe skunk to this haze cantaloupe Colombian would be nice so you can produce fast flowering high yielding more colombian dominant seed line.

Sativa can have fat buds have you seen Colombian mangobiche by cannabiogen? That would also make a nice dad

west-eu

Colombian Gold 72 / Colombian Black hybride / Punto Rojo
picture.php