What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best LEDs Fluence SpydrXPlus v Horticulture HLG 550

ridnovir

What are the best LEDs you can buy currently (unless you make your own fixtures) in your opinion. I have narrowed it down to Fluence SpydrXPlus and Horticulture HLG 550 which one of these would you recommend? If there are other comparable LEDs feel free to suggest.

toohighmf

Veteran
Trying the HLG-550's after a year + of research. Cooler, more efficient and I'm getting a really good deal on em wholesale. Johnson Grow Lights makes em and I like his COB units too. I wanted the fluence before they were fluence, but I haven't seen anyone break 1.4gpw/kWh with them, where I've seen close to 2gpw with the quantum boards from hlg.

I did a fair bit of research and I'm going to do a vero29 framework (or a couple) from timber. Seems like the best deal for nice even coverage.

ptyred

I started with a normal fluence spydr and had amazing results my first harvet and was able to go and and get the spydrx+

the thing about these fluence LEDS is that you need to keep you plants low and kind of close to the cannopy (i go 10 inches away max), Use a trellis to open up your canopy.

If you try growing a tall plant i dont think you will have good results.

My first grow when i got this light was in a 4x4 tent, NO Co2 with fluence spydrx ($950) and 4 plants big pots, i got 3.5oz per plant dry including the little popcorn stuff, that basically the extra halves off each plant, where im from all of that sells like hot bread.

But I can personally Vouch for Fluence.

hlg was just doing a 20% off sale so each panel was less than 875 free shipping, i ended up picking up a couple, they may be still at it.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Seems like a lot of big medical operations have invested in Fluence. Has HLG achieved the same success. I am very close to pulling the trigger on Fluence!

FranJan

Fluence is one grow company that does their homework when it comes to spectrum and what output is suitable. Seems they are a bit head and shoulders above the other cannabis grow companies atm.

https://fluence.science/redefining-the-mccree-curve-at-utah-state-university/
https://fluence.science/science/photosynthesis-guide/

"While McCree’s research relied on single-wavelength treatments in single-leaves, Bugbee’s current experiments take a holistic approach to evaluating plant responses to spectral composition. In particular, he’s investigating whole-plant response to wavelengths outside of PAR that have been considered to be unused by plants—and finding that they substantially impact photosynthesis and growth. His soon-to-be published research will prove pivotal to controlled environment agriculture and, in the coming years, commercial cultivators can expect better yields per kilowatt hour from their LED fixtures."

Most other companies are just putting lights together with whatever they can get their hands on or what looks good on a calculator. Does that mean Fluence lights are better? All I know is good growers grow good.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't understand the large dead space between the twin panels of the HLG

Fluence is a vg design but their mechanical execution is poor. I have an original BML SPYDR 600 that still produces excellent buds for a 5 yo diodes

Amare Technologies now has a BAR light, can be ordered with 2-8 bars that is properly made, industrial quality. I don't know if he finally put the product page up though

Ask him

As to g/w lets say you grow 4 plants under a light and get 1.4 g/w, BUT, if you grew 5 plants... wouldn't you hit 2 g/w? Just sayin

I haven't used LED as much as I would have liked causse of prices but I like the Amare and Helios brands from what I've seen. Fluence is clearly the bar though.

FranJan

Fluence is a vg design but their mechanical execution is poor.
Would you mind expounding on that mechanical statement? Just cause you say it doesn't mean it's true
biggrin.gif

Amare Technologies now has a BAR light, can be ordered with 2-8 bars that is properly made, industrial quality. I don't know if he finally put the product page up though
STILL with the Amare BS??? I hope they pay you something. If you're gonna fan boi on a company/bar why don't you shill for one from a real grow light company that spends more money on research than they do on advertising/marketing like Professor Amare does. Also how many patents does the Amare company have??? Can't find shit about their lights.

https://www.valoya.com/valoya-canna...for-superior-chemical-expression-in-cannabis/
Valoya-Canna120-cannabis-e1538131847201.png

https://grow-ray.com/products/#features
https://grow-ray.com/indoor/#grtspectrum

as_7.jpg

Home_photon-graph.png

As to g/w lets say you grow 4 plants under a light and get 1.4 g/w, BUT, if you grew 5 plants... wouldn't you hit 2 g/w? Just sayin
You could hit more. Or less. Or the same. I don't think averaging works the way you think it does/should. LOL

0071488464.jpg

At least you're consistent PF. LOL

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I speak from experience of owning one, so it is 100% true

your picture is of the bar which is not mechanical now, is it?

the threaded slide nuts that fit in the grooves on each side of the spine (that allow for sliding the bars in/out) is poorly executed, as are the mechanisms to tilt the bars

They are virtually impossible to adjust even during set up, when no plants are under it.

iBogart

Veteran
Look who threw their hat in the ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUaYVgNYR88

Gavita-Pro-1650e-LED-ML_RGB-570x301.png

Gavita Pro 1650e LED ML

The Gavita Pro 1650e LED ML is a 1650 µmol s-1 fixture with an efficiency of 2.6 µmol s-1 per Watt. ML stands for Multi-Layer, as the array of LEDs provides a uniform spread of light at a short distance to the crop. The 8-bar configuration allows you to use it in low rooms, over single benches, or even in 4x4' or 5x5’ tents.

• High efficiency (2.6 μmol s-1 per Watt)
  • High output for high intensity (1650 μmol s-1)
  • Reduced HVAC requirement (30-40% less)
  • High-quality 120-277V Philips Advance drivers
  • Top bin LEDs
  • Balanced full spectrum
  • External control
  • Priva control compatible
Availability currently limited to North America.

https://gavita.com/retail/products/gavita-pro-line-led/gavita-pro-1650e-led-ml/

Elephunk

I'm actually currently looking at setting up a 7000 sq ft facility. We were just out at MJ Bizcon in Vegas to meet with the manufacturers and check out the tech.

We have been looking very seriously at the Fluence Spyderxplus platform. They are suited to vertical tier farming which is what we would be setting up to do. So with that method, you grow SOG or SCROG with shorter plants that are closer to the LEDs and these look like they perform very well for that method.

We are also looking at SynceLED's Raging Kush 600 fixture which was also developed for vertical tier.

I'm loving their app which controls the lights. You can dial the spectrum as the lights have individual kelvin LED strips. So you can adjust those spectrum levels depending on strain and also save all the info. Pretty cool.

The other plus we saw was that their fixtures are fully submersible where the Fluence systems are not as waterproof. Important for cleaning and a commercial environment. (think if there was a fire and your suppression system goes off)... not so important for a home grow.

The HLGs look awesome and the results definitely look good, but the distance to the canopy becomes an issue with vertical tier. Basically means less tiers.

If you're just on the ground floor with a single canopy level, they look pretty good as you can increase that distance and growers are getting some killer results with them. That or run with some other high bay system.

If I could run the HLGs for vertical I would. They're still not out of our consideration.

Likely going to be doing a mini 3 tier set up with 2 lights from each manufacturer to see the proof of concept results before ordering 272 lights. Hell of a lot of money to get it wrong.

I would say, if you're doing vertical tier- spyderxplus or raging kush.

If it's a single canopy grow (ground floor) those QBs are putting out some seriously solid results.

srich250

I currently run 8 fluence SpydrXPlus and 8 1000 DE PLUS 8 600w hps and by far the fluence are the best in quality.

Yield is very close. I get two large plants per each light with 8.5' ceiling height double scrogged with metal 6" square holes and the area is 42"x48" per light.

I yield 12-18oz per plant and about 24-36oz per light. Top shelf.

I get that with my 1000's if they don't get too hot on top. Tough with these ceiling heights.

If I could afford it I would never run 1000's again because of AC costs and heat problems.