What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying silver

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
My not be a good investment..

My not be a good investment..

Silver is iffy, going for about $17.26 today

Look at APMEX if you want to look at trends. You can select any range from the last 30 years.

They also sell it so you can see the different coins and ingots they sell. They also do the same for Gold which may be a better investment.

Are you looking to buy and physically hold it?

Good Luck :dance013:

zif

Veteran
I'd seriously consider palladium and platinum if you're looking for a long term investment. There are many good reasons to prefer them to silver, not least of which is they are dramatically more valuable per unit weight/volume. Assuming you're interested in tucking away a physical cash stash!

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...being too broke for gold or platinum i have bought myself some silver and while the spot price is $17.00 and change, you won't be able to buy it for that.

...with shipping and everything it'll end up closer to twenty per ounce.

...anyway APMEX, as has been said, is one of the sites i've bought from, another is SD Bullion.

...do a web search for silver bullion and get to readin', lol.

peace, bozo

MickTheBrag

gold

gold

people are saying were heading for a recession. so your moneys safe with gold. but that would also say silver is going up too. if theres a down turn coming gold is what you should be in vesting. bit coin also is a good investment. but it may have topped. GOLD will hit 2000 dollars if a recession hits. :woohoo:

Floridian

Veteran
Thanks for the responses guys,I'm looking to make an investment I could liquidate in 5 years or so and make a profit.I always thought silver to be the one because of its many uses in industry unlike the other precious metals.Yea I'm not interested in coins or collectibles,just ingots or bars.17 an ounce seems like a lowball price to me,I just don't see how it could go down from that in the next several years.But I'm sure it could lol it's all a gamble in the end.I will check out those sites you graciously turned me on to,I do appreciate it.I've had about enough of Rosiland Capital and Lear commercials!

MickTheBrag

GOLD

GOLD

I make money from betting on the price of gold oil and currencys. so take my word for it.

peace man

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...here's a link to some 10oz bars from SD Bullion, i figure if and when inflation hits silver will indeed rise in value and me i like the idea of having a pile of the 1oz rounds and as many of the 10oz bars as i can manage to aquire.

peace, bozo

Floridian

Veteran
Thanks jab I'm going to look into that,its exactly what I'm interested in.They can keep their coins and collectibles

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Forgot to add..

Forgot to add..

Since I'm a Gold Prospector, I usually buy raw gold from other miners at about 20% off spot.

Small time miners need the money to buy food and supplies. No tax on raw un-assayed minerals. Until you melt it down, it's not taxable in the U.S.

The gold is usually not 24k. Unrefined gold is great for jewelry. I have a more than one ounce ring from the 16 to 1 mine in Northern California.

I also keep ounce coins around in case of disaster.

Au what fun :party: my Tahoe has plates "digin4au"

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Last time I bought silver was a few weeks ago when the price was hovering around $16.00.
My last transaction was with JM Bullion. Never had any problems with them and shipping is always very fast.
https://www.jmbullion.com/

brown_thumb

For many years, I wanted to buy bags of junk silver coins. I like them because they're easily recognizable by everyone, the good ones are 90 percent silver and they all weigh the same. So trading/selling will be easy at any time. Alas, I'm too fiscally poor to concern myself with such things these days.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Start looking through your change for silver...platinum an palladium can be found in catalytic converters on cars......yeehaw....I wonder how you would extract it tho

zif

Veteran
Cody's Lab on YouTube showed that you can literally collect the dust at the side of the highway and extract the catalytic goodness from it! Of course, you'd spend far more to do the extraction than the value of the outcome, unless you ran a super tight process with vast quantities of street dust at scale....

Start looking through your change for silver...platinum an palladium can be found in catalytic converters on cars......yeehaw....I wonder how you would extract it tho

But the catalytic converter is just the tip of the iceberg of industrial uses for these materials. Unless you're betting on industrialized civilization collapses (a traditional if it necessarily logical reason to get into precious metals), these demands will only increase. Especially given that they play a key role in less environmentally destructive chemical transformations.

St. Phatty

If you were going to buy silver,where would you go?Any reason silver is a bad investment?

A very good place to start ... if you live in a town with 2 good coin stores ... go to one coin store & buy 1 ounce silver.

Go to the other coin store & sell the ounce.

Make the the market is REAL and find out what the REAL spread is.

Then you can go online and find a favorite supplier for larger purchases.

I did that in 2003 with an ounce of Gold. Literally, paid $365 then drove to another store & sold it for $350. Cost me $15 to make sure the market was REAL in that town - totally worth it.

http://www.kitco.com/charts/historicalsilver.html

Study the price history for Silver.

Also, study the COST of Silver, which varies from mine to mine.

Because Silver is often a by-product of copper production, and because mine production is sort of like a big ship (with a lot of MOMENTUM), they don't just turn it off when the price falls below the cost of production ("AISC", all in sustaining costs).

The current price of about $18.50 an ounce (to get it in your hands, not the spot price), is still well below the production cost of about 15% of silver producing mines.

I also suggest reading about the Fed's "strong dollar policy" and currency manipulation.

One of the biggest laughs of the last year was, the US accusing China of currency manipulation.

Currency Manipulation is what the US does 24/7/365.

Good websites for finding out about that -
KingWorldNews.com
Gata.org

Green Squall

I will second JM Bullion. I've used them twice and will again in the future.

My second choice is Apmex. Apmex runs deals on Ebay all the time which is sweet since you get Ebay bucks back.

igrowone

Veteran
here's what i read from one who's a 'wise man' of gold and silver
gold and silver are not investments, unless you're very good or very lucky
they are good ways of preserving wealth, an ounce of silver will likely have the same relative value 20 years from now
but timing the price spikes is a tough game, and the fees for selling/buying see to it the middle man makes most of the money

Floridian

Veteran
Thanks everyone tomorrow I'm going to look into scoring some heavy metal.Interest rates suck and I'm basically looking into something I can stash in a bank box that won't lose and may gain some money.Last year I was in the hospital twice,always had great insurance as an electrician but had to stop working a couple years ago to take care of mamasita.Of course when you lose your insurance,thats when medical shit will hit the fan.I didn't know with a simple court order any institution can raid your bank account and take what is owed them.It happened to a friend of mine recently I never would have known.Came into a spot of cash and don't feel safe banking it,besides inteterst rates suck like I said.I'll feel better with something tangible in a bank box for the foreseeable future.Thanks again everyone JM and SD bullion will be competing for my money the next few days.I'm don't know much about the market except for annuities which is how I got this in the first place.My dear mom scored in 2008 just at the right time bless her heart.Could have done better with gold but who the hell knew!