What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's The Oldest Clone in Your Stable?

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Sunlight is the best cleaner is something that I’ve heard before, it applies here. That would be one advantage over indoors, hadn’t thought of that before but does make sense also.
Wish I could test this myself but I’m stuck indoors for now, so an uv light will have to do for me. That was one of the selling points, it kills virus, bacteria and other bad things.

So my thinking has just changed on putting plants out for a day and then back inside. I used to think it was foolish and risky, possibly bringing in pests. But as long as careful could actually produce cleaner healthier plants.

After thirty years growing, still learning.

Sure UV rays are helpfull to kill virus or bacterias. Be carefull when putting indoor plants out as they must adapt slowly to the UV rays before, so you must bring them out very carefully, first in the shade for hours before full sunlight.

Tal

I've heard (didn't tried it yet) that you can revive an old clone by letting the plant grow outdoor (plain dirt, no roots restriction) for atleast two months before taking snips again.

Shantibaba from Mr. Nice suggested that also. I actually just planted one outdoors yesterday. I have a couple more I'll be putting out just in case something happens to that one. I'd also like to look in to that meristem technique my friend suggested.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IDK, my JH cut is going to be 20 pretty soon and it's probably one of the most vigorous clones in my quiver. I should point out that I don't keep 'mothers' for clones, I just take one from the last and so on. I flower plants in small containers so the turnover is fairly fast. If a clone roots fast (like the JH does) it could be back in the flowering room in a month. So, that would be roughly 12 clone 'generations' per year, probably more like 10. That would be about 200 'generations' so far with absolutely ZERO signs of any slowing down, disease or virus of any kind.

Just like to point out that the Mcintosh apple is now 208 years old and going strong!

Tal

IDK, my JH cut is going to be 20 pretty soon and it's probably one of the most vigorous clones in my quiver. I should point out that I don't keep 'mothers' for clones, I just take one from the last and so on. I flower plants in small containers so the turnover is fairly fast. If a clone roots fast (like the JH does) it could be back in the flowering room in a month. So, that would be roughly 12 clone 'generations' per year, probably more like 10. That would be about 200 'generations' so far with absolutely ZERO signs of any slowing down, disease or virus of any kind.

Just like to point out that the Mcintosh apple is now 208 years old and going strong!

It seems this one I have hasn't had the best care. I originally got her around 2001, I think it was. It was very vigorous, and the taste and potency was through the roof. Every hit tasted like the hash I use to get back in the late 60s/early 70s. One hit was plenty, two hits was usually too much. I saw several people pass out from taking too big a hit. I lost her due to a security issue, and it's taken me this long to reacquire her. The girl who originally started her from seed back in 1980 had moved to another state, and I lost contact with her. Then one day we both commented on a post from a mutual friend on Facebook and we reconnected. She had to give the clone to someone for safe keeping when she moved, and apparently it hasn't been well cared for. She was able to get me clones, but it was covered in spidermites, and it seems to have some kind of powdery mildew issue I can get rid of. It still has that nice flavor, and potency is decent, but not what it was originally. I'd say now it's equal to Katsu Bubba, which I got directly from Katsu when he first got it. But the first time I had her, she was better than Bubba. I've been trying to self pollinate it to see if I can find one close to the original. It doesn't seem to want to reverse very well. I'm on my second attempt.

Somatek

I just got back my favourite cut, a local plant some buddies grew in '99 they found in their three way cross of (skunk/purple star) x master kush. So she's 20 years old this year.

She's looking a bit rough now but better then the first time I got her 15 years ago. I'll grow her for a month or so, then toss her outside to recoup under the sun before taking a bunch of clones in August

Tal

I just got back my favourite cut, a local plant some buddies grew in '99 they found in their three way cross of (skunk/purple star) x master kush. So she's 20 years old this year.

She's looking a bit rough now but better then the first time I got her 15 years ago. I'll grow her for a month or so, then toss her outside to recoup under the sun before taking a bunch of clones in August

Maybe we should start a thread on rejuvenating old clones. I'm curious to know if breeding a plant that has lost some of its quality, such that my clone has, will the DNA still be passed to its offspring.

Booyah!

I've been keeping a Pure Kush Topanga for a bit over a year. It is much healthier than it arrived...its been a battle to breathe health back into this clone. It arrived with signs of PM and I managed to get it under control enough to get some clean clones off of it that don't show any signs of infection. That process has literally taken all year. Tissue culture would have probably have been easier but I haven't tried it yet.

U

useless.gardens

do you take apical cuts? i think its the most overlooked aspect. imo, if you keep mothers always use the best cuts on the plant. also, i think large smart pots of TLO super coco (or whatever similar you like in your space) can be helpful for guys/girls that can not get a plant into the ground outside. super coco mix (or similar) & the smart pot = the best options out there for indoor tented mothers.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do you take apical cuts? i think its the most overlooked aspect.

Yeah, I do take the choice top section. Usually about 3-4 internodes. Not too big a cut, but not exactly a teeny one either.

All this talk about rejuvinating 'old' clones confuses me because in addition to my 'old' JH cut I have a whole stable of other healthy 'old' clones as well. Not a single one of them has changed in any way that I can tell, and many of them are keepers exactly because they are so vigorous in growth. I must be doing something right, I just don't know what it is.

Somatek

Yeah, I do take the choice top section. Usually about 3-4 internodes. Not too big a cut, but not exactly a teeny one either.

All this talk about rejuvinating 'old' clones confuses me because in addition to my 'old' JH cut I have a whole stable of other healthy 'old' clones as well. Not a single one of them has changed in any way that I can tell, and many of them are keepers exactly because they are so vigorous in growth. I must be doing something right, I just don't know what it is.

When I talked about Papaya being in rough shape and needing to be nursed back to health, I meant it literally. The clones is stressed out from repeated heavy pesticide applications by the person who gave it to me to deal with a persistent mite problem the originator was dealing with (maybe "not dealing with" would be more accurate from the little I heard). It was stressed enough it was trying to flower in veg, when I checked the brix it was at 5 (most of my plants are closer to 10, ideally we're aiming for 12). I didn't mean to imply the genetics were compromised by "genetic drift" or anything, I've never seen anything to make me worry about it. In my experience clones depend on their health, keep them healthy and they grow well, let them get unhealthy/pick up pathogens and they'll suffer.

So to recoup this mom I chopped off the growing tips (about the top 30% of the plant, any dense growth), flipped the lights to 24/0 and started hitting it with kelp to crank the auxin's/cytokins up. Just over a week later and I'm starting to see 3 fingered leaves start to grow in, a couple more weeks and I'll toss her outside as I find it's much easier to get a high brix plant outside vs indoors. Plus practically I don't have room in the Dopository (aka veg room) to fit this beast of a plant. Hope that clarifies what I meant as my original comment was pretty vague and left a lot to interpretation.

beta

Veteran
When I talked about Papaya being in rough shape and needing to be nursed back to health, I meant it literally. The clones is stressed out from repeated heavy pesticide applications by the person who gave it to me to deal with a persistent mite problem the originator was dealing with (maybe "not dealing with" would be more accurate from the little I heard). It was stressed enough it was trying to flower in veg, when I checked the brix it was at 5 (most of my plants are closer to 10, ideally we're aiming for 12). I didn't mean to imply the genetics were compromised by "genetic drift" or anything, I've never seen anything to make me worry about it. In my experience clones depend on their health, keep them healthy and they grow well, let them get unhealthy/pick up pathogens and they'll suffer.

So to recoup this mom I chopped off the growing tips (about the top 30% of the plant, any dense growth), flipped the lights to 24/0 and started hitting it with kelp to crank the auxin's/cytokins up. Just over a week later and I'm starting to see 3 fingered leaves start to grow in, a couple more weeks and I'll toss her outside as I find it's much easier to get a high brix plant outside vs indoors. Plus practically I don't have room in the Dopository (aka veg room) to fit this beast of a plant. Hope that clarifies what I meant as my original comment was pretty vague and left a lot to interpretation.

Which Brix meter do you use? What have you found most increases Brix in plants?

Somatek

Which Brix meter do you use? What have you found most increases Brix in plants?

I just bought one from Lee Valley as it was decently priced and easily accessible. I really didn't research it or check out different brands.

I haven't checked whether adding specific amendments is making much of a difference but in general the most important thing to keep a high brix is good cultivation practices: keeping it watered but not drowned, maintaining the right temp/humidity, finding the right balance of fertilisers, etc. With just doing that simple stuff (no real additives used) I can get them up to 10, which is why I always stress the importance of basics to beginners. It's all you really need

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Haven't been growing all that long.
Started maybe 10 years ago. Off and on.
My oldest is only three years old. Purple short indica plant I call "Purpal".

Just wanted to say thank you to all those growers out there keeping all these decades old cuts alive. They would be gone if not for you.

Somatek

People mentioning papaya, I just smoked live rosin from that one that put me on the verge of a panic attack. One toke over the line I guess. Great Terps .

Is that the purple version from Southern Ontario or the much more well known/common Dutch version that has a lot more indica in it?

My oldest of Stock was the cuts I received through Ae77 when he returned to Michigan. These cuts were from the early 90's onwards. I have none now, all were tired and ready for a new life in the offspring I shaped with each..

Ae77- Chrome Diesel, Hacks Cleaner, Meltdown to name a few for the curious ones..