What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quantum Boards

morgandecaptain

547 watts of quantum boards over a 6' x 5.5' vert screen with a GG#4.

Attachments

• IMG_20170421_115057.jpg
    IMG_20170421_115057.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 22

Juan Budd

547 watts of quantum boards over a 6' x 5.5' vert screen with a GG#4.

That is a great looking grow space you have set up there [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
tiphat.gif
[/FONT]
and the light units just look totally pro - and I mean real nice desirable type pro at that. Appreciate you sharing it [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
smile.gif
[/FONT]

What size would be your light to plant distance? What sort of yield do you anticipate?

JB.

majorana

Looks like:

9x QB304
9x Slate Heatsinks (#1 from the looks of it)
3x Drivers (likely Meanwell HLG240H-C1750s from the power use mentioned)
Aluminum L-angle frames

Trying to reverse engineer the QB304:

1. 8 units of SI-B8U05128HUS (22.5V tested at 240mA) connected in parallel and attached to a flat aluminum sheet?
2. At 40W per (@1.75A) board do they need a heatsink at all? Isn't it just a flat aluminum sheet?
3. Six of such boards (correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am) can be connected in series and driven nice and soft with one HLG-240H-C1750?
4. If I use the 56cm-long version of the strips the math stays the same, just with 4 strips per board?

Trying to reverse engineer the QB304:

1. 8 units of SI-B8U05128HUS (22.5V tested at 240mA) connected in parallel and attached to a flat aluminum sheet?
2. At 40W per (@1.75A) board do they need a heatsink at all? Isn't it just a flat aluminum sheet?
3. Six of such boards (correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am) can be connected in series and driven nice and soft with one HLG-240H-C1750?
4. If I use the 56cm-long version of the strips the math stays the same, just with 4 strips per board?

Maybe I misunderstood your request for specs. What I posted was a guess at the components of morgandecaptain's 547W QB vert array.

The QB304s could be built from SI-B8U05128HUS, but they don't look quite right so the QB304s might be using LM561s piecemeal.

Per my understanding of the specs and recommendations provided by HLG, a heatsink might not be required at all below 50W. HLG has a few variations on heatsinks for higher wattages, I use the Slate #2 heatsinks and run boards at around 100w each max, and they stay quite cool passively.

Splitting 1.75 amps between 6 QB304 boards would run them each at around 30W, which is definitely possible bare.

Stephenj37826

Wasn't there a few lines or symbols on the board missing...
Copiers got copied by another copier but the instigating copier in this case has done less overall copying so I'd say less of a copier..
Alright I'm out cap... Sorry if I intruded but not everyone is so sympathetic

Who is that we copied is my question. not here to start a fight you can take it to P.M. that's totally fine. I'm seriously curios. just an FYI Samsung LM561C has a different footprint than LM561B. We designed these boards with a lighting lab in Denver CO. If you are refering to us using a 5630 led similar to nextlight you should know that nextlight wasn't the first. Also point us to where anyone is using these leds on a
board specifically built for optics...... calling us copiers because we use a certain led that is similar to someone else is crazy...... I guess nobody better use osram ssl series at all because California Light works used that led first........ We designed that board from the ground up...... I can show cad drawings and all if need be. some competing companies will say/do anything to discredit us at all costs. It sure does suck on our end to spend as much time and effort as we have on this evolving design to get bashed like be just copied someone else.......

To get this spread in an open room took a whole lot more research and simulation/testing than we are given credit for.....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-05-14 14.06.23.jpg
    Screenshot 2017-05-14 14.06.23.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 16

positivity

Veteran
Who is that we copied is my question. not here to start a fight you can take it to P.M. that's totally fine. I'm seriously curios. just an FYI Samsung LM561C has a different footprint than LM561B. We designed these boards with a lighting lab in Denver CO. If you are refering to us using a 5630 led similar to nextlight you should know that nextlight wasn't the first. Also point us to where anyone is using these leds on a
board specifically built for optics...... calling us copiers because we use a certain led that is similar to someone else is crazy...... I guess nobody better use osram ssl series at all because California Light works used that led first........ We designed that board from the ground up...... I can show cad drawings and all if need be. some competing companies will say/do anything to discredit us at all costs. It sure does suck on our end to spend as much time and effort as we have on this evolving design to get bashed like be just copied someone else.......

To get this spread in an open room took a whole lot more research and simulation/testing than we are given credit for.....

In a cab getting stuff done today but I'll give a quick reply since you quoted me.
There were very few people pushing the boundaries of led a few years ago. The new crop of led sellers forcefully took over the led forums with their spam after they saw the potential of "DIY"
People have been copying, rubbing it in peoples face, threats, doxxing, every disgusting thing you could imagine. All so they can position themselves for the led market.
In my opinion spread is over rated. I could do the same thing with 2 cobs versus a quantum board with very little difference in results.
For the copying... Everyone has a right to use any led they want. Unless you invented said led.
I avoid arguments on lighting as much as possible and I hope you don't take this as an argument
Whether you are guilty of any of these things only you know, I'm not a psychic. All I know is the things I stated as happening are very real.

Stephenj37826

In a cab getting stuff done today but I'll give a quick reply since you quoted me.
There were very few people pushing the boundaries of led a few years ago. The new crop of led sellers forcefully took over the led forums with their spam after they saw the potential of "DIY"
People have been copying, rubbing it in peoples face, threats, doxxing, every disgusting thing you could imagine. All so they can position themselves for the led market.
In my opinion spread is over rated. I could do the same thing with 2 cobs versus a quantum board with very little difference in results.
For the copying... Everyone has a right to use any led they want. Unless you invented said led.
I avoid arguments on lighting as much as possible and I hope you don't take this as an argument
Whether you are guilty of any of these things only you know, I'm not a psychic. All I know is the things I stated as happening are very real.

Sure... If you look into us though one thing you won't find is us talking bad about any other led companies/builder's DIY suppliers or anything else. So I do see what you are talking about but I assure you we aren't one of those people. We generally are the recipients of said negativity...... The reason we went the route we did is the efficiency of the LEDs and the optics. Notice in the pic there is no center hotspot.... We couldn't get that with cobs. This particular optic we are using is the first optic I've ever used that allowed for a truly even spread. They don't direct the light down..... Glad to know it was more of a general statement about how things are going in the DIY led community and not aimed specifically at us.

wattsthis

So, does anybody here have experience building with these Samsung LEDs? I couldn't find on Digikey the bars mentioned by The LED Gardner, and soldering 3300 individual LEDs together in chains (aiming at 600W draw) is not something I wish upon myself. Any help, ideas, or best shared experience would be warmly thanked.

:huggg:

Hi! First of all, I really appreciate and would like to thank HLG for bringing this Samsung 5630 LM561c chips from the shadows.

And to your question, I'm currently waiting for my flexible LED strips and Mean Well driver to arrive. I would be building my DIY version of the QBs with the form factor on the Fluence Spydr for better spacing and coverage.

Will be posting the build here soon since most other grow sites have "hostile" users.

Good day!

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I have a Nextlight Mini light (160 watts) and it uses the same Samsung diodes as the quantum boards. The light spectrum is great and the plants grow very well under them. Heat is very easy to manage as well.

-Funk

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fuck if I know, I just said ok I'll bite and here we are. No clue how I got here even lol.
They are 288 boards driven by 3x hlg 240 c1400b drivers is all I know.

knuckles

Veteran
I'll be replacing 6-600w, hps with the Samsung qb lm561c..hopefully go from3600w to 2200w,with better results and much lower electrical bills

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 14

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
That is a nice looking light you've made Smokin Joe. HLG has a new more powerful light they're working on now. Grand Master Level on Youtube is doing some testing of it. So far it looks very promising.

-Funk