What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

solvent for Rick Simpson oil

Hi, Rick Simpson doesnt specify (liability?) what solvent to use for RSO on his phoenixtears.ca site.

Can anyone offer any insight on what they think is best?

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
Paint thinner, as in Naptha?

I agree. Do you know rough ratios, EToH to a unit of dried material? Thanks

yeah, Naphtha is what they were using in the first article i read on the Simpson oil. i'm not a chemist but that shit sits on the same shelf as the paint thinner ..... i'll pass

it's been a while and i really didn't do a whole lot of math before i made the stuff but if i remember correctly it was about 1 1/2 pounds of good bud to 2+ gallons of Everclear. those numbers don't mean shit because i was in more of a hurry than anything else ...... the patient was thinking about starting chemo and i wanted to throw other options on the table before she did.

FWIW she flaked and started a round of chemo first but the numbers didn't come down like the oncologist wanted. when he wanted to start a second round she flaked on him and started the Simpson oil. the doc risked his job and kept testing while she was off the chemo and on the Simpson oil and the numbers kept coming down at the same rate that the original round of chemo accomplished until the patient flaked the fuck out yet again and left both me and the doctor wondering WTF else we could have done.

after talking to the oncologist i'm pretty much convinced that there isn't a cure all for cancer and after talking to me and seeing the numbers for himself i know the oncologist would like to do a whole lot more testing on something that he was very skeptic of when he first heard about it.

ALL DOCTORS ARE NOT EVIL. some of them are very interested in things that their bosses tell them to ignore. i hope you get lucky enough to run into one if you have the need

i hope that helps in some way. good luck!

I wood

It can but I would never use that.
All the bad stories I have heard about rso involve ISO as the solvent.
A countertop still can be had for a couple hundred bucks. With one of those I produce my own alcohol as a biproduct of fermentation used to produce co2. Time consuming but very cheap.
Or if I'm in a rush the still is handy to take the locally available 150 proof everclear up to 190 proof.
Also the still is good for reclaiming about 80% of the alcohol used.

Nice sig, got to see them live, thanks for the info, I dont know if I can get everclear so I may have to do something like that

I wood

Nice sig, got to see them live, thanks for the info, I dont know if I can get everclear so I may have to do something like that

Wow, you are the first person I've ever bumped into that has even heard of him other than at a Shpongle or Ott show.
He is amazing as a dj set, but mind blowingly good with the All Seeing Eye.

justanotherbozo

Veteran
you know Rick has several videos on his site, Phoenix Tears, plus, if you do a search for 'Rick Simpsons oil', or RSO on YouTube there are SEVERAL how-to videos that discuss the process and what solvents work.

...if you are interested in learning to make RSO then these videos are well worth the time.

bozo

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
are you aware of the process using D-Limonene as solvent?
there has been some discussion on this site regarding it's use.

enter this into your browser:

"youtube, horatio delbert, bubbleman, the inner sanctum."

better alternative ime.

peace

Good to know, I know limo works for other stuff, may use it in the future.

I'm old school and prefer text.

D limo dissolves most plastics so be mindful of that. HDPE2 seems ok.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Veteran
simpson uses poisons to make this crap.

I've never believed in his crap oil.

we've made oil with everclear since 95, it's s all you need.

make sure to dry it out before using it...

LostTribe

Premium user
yah he used Naphtha but why other than it is readily available. I don't believe he really knows what he was doing other than extracting all the plant elements in to his paint thinner. The videos are so so.

Everclear is a much better option albeit pretty pricey but you want to find out the bud/everclear ratio needed so you don't waste no damn Licka!

DemonTrich

Veteran
ive only used ethanol when we made it. 153 proof diesel is what we use.

I still use it when I clean my trimmer and make a slab after purged.

BigJohnny

Acetone works really well, if you evap a dish of acetone there are no residues left behind.

Not only does it work well, it evaporates super fast.

I've used it to winterize before as well as making my own personal oil from saved up bud stems and I've never noticed any kind of taste change from using it.

It's cheap and readily available, especially in Canada where we can't get everclear.

mayorofthdesert

I rarely see anyone mention 100% iso & I'm not sure why. i used to get it at industrial supply places, not sure what all of it's uses are but if anyone gives you a funny look when you ask for it you need it for cleaning aluminum or stainless prior to welding.

Old Gold

Acetone works really well, if you evap a dish of acetone there are no residues left behind.

Not only does it work well, it evaporates super fast.

I've used it to winterize before as well as making my own personal oil from saved up bud stems and I've never noticed any kind of taste change from using it.

It's cheap and readily available, especially in Canada where we can't get everclear.

I like Acetone. It has a pungent sweet aroma until you rid of it residually, so it's not too tough to tell when you're down below the taste threshold. Acetone is a natural byproduct in digestion/metabolism, so tiny Residual exposures scare me as much as ethanol in my dabs does. I still go for full removal, but find acetone is much easier to remove without as much heat as alcohol.