What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Say Goodbye to Bananas As You Know Them ...

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
Bananas are in big trouble. While the beloved fruit remains as popular as ever, its crops across the world have been hit with an infectious fungus and the damage is irreparable.

The Cavendish species of banana, which was introduced in 1965, is currently the primary banana export in the world. And it's being completely ruined by Tropical Race 4, a fungal disease that began in Malaysia in 1990 and has since spread to Southeast Asia, Australia, and finally Africa in 2013.

Believe it or not, this is not the first time a fungus has wiped out an entire species of the bright yellow fruit. By 1965, the Gros Michel species of banana—which lasted longer, were more resilient, and didn't require artificial ripening—was eradicated after what was called the Panama disease, a different strain of a similar fungal disease wiped out the world's commercial banana plantations.

After that, the industry looked for a new version of the crop, settling on the inferior Cavendish as its only alternative. It was then cloned and grown across the globe, making the single species (aka a monoculture) extremely susceptible to spreading infection—once one plant gets hit with the fungus, they're all in trouble. As a result, we're facing the same issues from 50 years ago. And it's impacting the livelihoods—ranging from food security to income—of more than 100 million people.

The biggest hurdle is that the fungus remains in the soil. It affects the plant's vascular system and prevents it from picking up water from the ground. This means that the only way to remove it is to burn the banana plantations to the ground, then begin fresh in a new location with a new species of banana crops. The disease is spreading because bad practices from the 1960s are still in place.

"It cannot be eradicated but it can be limited if a wide range of strong preventative and mitigation initiatives are put in place and rigorously implemented," Joao Augusto, a plant pathologist told CNN. "In countries where the disease is endemic, the growers have learned to live with it."

While there are other species of banana for countries to lean on, the yield is nowhere near that of the Cavendish. Plus, the disease is beginning to creep into the local varieties' crops as well.

Our only hope is that grower don't throw in the towel but instead make positive changes to their farming practices and keep the industry alive.​​ in the meantime, might we suggest taking full advantage of the fruit you love while it's still with us. Perhaps, make a summertime appropriate frozen version, a classic banana split or even eat a banana split for breakfast.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/say-goodbye-to-bananas-as-you-know-them/ar-AAdG0HI

blastfrompast

Veteran
anyone else notice that even banana's that look perfect will have brown spots inside....seems the last 6 months has been really bad..

waveguide

Veteran
gee, producing one kind of "ideal" food then transporting it to all your clone "ideal item needing" people situated all over the world surely seems like the most prudent course of action, what could go wrong?

what was andy warhol trying to tell us?

"this just in, bullshit civilisation for morons a big fuck up, more to come.."

waveguide

Veteran
nature.. it's all the bloody same. lose one banana, get another.

you know what kills bananas isn't fungus it's people looking at them like they're all the same. "i don't need unique banana, i need same banana" - and that's how everybody dies, a gross repudiation of all life.

shucks, my buds dudded.

waveguide

Veteran
the best part, once you convince yourself to look at all bananas as the same, then you can sell those motherfuckers!

(a.k.a. "i don't know where bananas come from, but selling things is perfectly natural and quite alright with me because i'm a hideous shit eating robot aren't i")

theJointedOne

Veteran
i guess its safe to assume all bananas from here on out will have even more pesticides and fungicides poured onto them during cultivation?

Betterhaff

Veteran
i guess its safe to assume all bananas from here on out will have even more pesticides and fungicides poured onto them during cultivation?
The problem is it’s a soil bourn fungus (Foc-TR4), and is almost impossible to eradicate. Once established the plants are doomed and the plantations are no longer viable for (Cavendish) banana production.

They are exploring genetic engineering, inserting resistance to the fungus but those are still in trials…GMO bananas. Also exploring other varieties too but the Cavendish has been the production king.

Fortunately it hasn’t reached the Americas yet, where the bulk of Cavendish production is. The perils of monoculture.

amanda88

There are some fruit industries that are corrupt and run as this.. year in and year out ....bananas, coffee and chocolate have been doing this shit for years, so long as the white tycoon gets his product to market...what does he care for the yields and culture of the people he milks...?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can't they take clones from uncontaminated farms and keep them in a greenhouse somewhere? If all the major farms get contaminated, the clones will still be safe. Greenhouse bananas might be more expensive, but there's no reason for this strain to disappear completely.

I know nothing about other types of bananas. Maybe other types taste better, but they'd be more expensive with a lower yield.

Betterhaff

Veteran
The Cavendish is not the best tasting but is good for commercial production (handling and yield). It basically took over for the Gros Michel which was affected by a similar fungus. Many say the Gros Michel is a much better banana.

In big commercial operations bananas are propagated by tissue culture so maintaining the line is not necessarily the problem, producing the fruit is. They can also be propagated by transplanting severed offshoots the plant produces at its base. Each banana plant/tree produces only 1 fruiting bunch. On a plantation after a plant fruits that fruiting plant part dies back but the offshoots it produces are thinned down to one to grow in its place and produce another bunch. This is where the problem is…if the plantation gets infected.

Growing in greenhouses would not be feasible for commercial production.

waveguide

Veteran
this sounds like an excellent opportunity for all the transhumanists to jump into rocket ships, fly somewhere far, far away in outer space and grow "the same" bananas there (instead of eg. rearing your own, much tastier variety banana tree if climate allows).

and since it's outer space, they can grow all those extra dicks they wanted as well and have artificially augmented sex with machines for as long as they want, all on the exact same banana.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
ITS ok i find women holding cucumbers more erotic anyhow..bananas just have too much curve..just sayin..yeehaw

For those who ever read on how to grow bananas, you know that the commercial variety is seedless, so that means the plant ONLY can be propagated via babies (clones). There are no seeds to plant or save. Being cross bread to get to what is now, other than living plants, that is the only way to preserve the banana strain. If all get hit and die, the line is lost. Plant level extinction.

Tokesy

Umm the Gros Michel wasn't eradicated... It still grown in Thailand and Malaysia, Myanmar, ect. you can find them in any fruit market just about anywhere in S.E Asia. In Thailand they're called Kluai Hom.

Max Headroom

Veteran
i watched a doc some time ago where they were going through 100 bunches just to find a single seed, so that they can develop a resistent cultivar.
looks like they have grown themselves into a genetic corner.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Umm the Gros Michel wasn't eradicated... It still grown in Thailand and Malaysia, Myanmar, ect. you can find them in any fruit market just about anywhere in S.E Asia. In Thailand they're called Kluai Hom.
That is correct. They can still be grown in places that are not infected with the panama fungus.

@stoned-trout...you sound like Otter.

Latest posts

Latest posts