What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco in Containers - Automated Drip System

Hey Guys.. new to this forum and just wanted to stop over in this section since i feel i am most educated (or failed the most) in this type of method..

For running Automated Drippers in a Coco Garden i would figure out your nutrient plan first, but you guys can figure that out since there are so many different types and ways of going about this. I would stay away from crazy organics when it comes to automated drip systems since you will get clogged drippers and lines much easier/quicker. Some people like things easy, which i would recomend going with something like botanicares CNS17 program (grow/Bloom/ripe) which is a one part formula for the three different phases of growth. Expect great results with very little money invested (about 65 bucks for each 5 gallon at a rate of about 15-20mL per gallon). You will still have to use calMag and probably some silica product to help with stressful times but that is sometimes easier then trying to be a mad scientist with 8 billion different additives and a EC of 4.20 haha.. anways, always use RO Water (very cheap to get a small 100gpd unit from active aqua which is same as hydrologic without the hydrologic sticker on the front). I know people are going to say you don't need it but after i changed to RO from my hard water of +200 out the tap i no longer have drippers clogging or any other issues that i used to run into and can feed at exactly what i need too without having that 200ppm of who knows what in the water to start with.

Always use "Adjustable Drippers" on stakes.. they make things much easier, exp if you are not using a very expensive jet pump that keeps a constant 20/40 PSI in the line. You can then adjust each dripper to drip the exact same amount of water as it does at each end of the main line since if you don't use drip emitters you will get much more flow at the beginning of your main line then towards the end (always use 3/4" and not 1/2" enless you have an extremely small system). A 1500gph pump can easily handle up to about 38 drip sites. You can order the drip stakes (adjustable) off ebay for 15 bucks for a 50 pack.. you might have to replace a few throughout the cycle so don't buy exactly the amount of sites you need. The ones on the stakes are just nice if you have to pull a plant out to check it out or move things around you can just pull the stake out and stick it in another plant for the time being.

Rez and Water Setup
Now lets talk about the rez and water.. Air Stones are garbage (I know people are going to disagree and i dont want to hear it).. use a Venturi. If you don't know what that is, look it up on youtube, they have tons of videos and most pumps now come with the attachment for free, just add a little bit of air hose and run it out of your rez so it pulls the air into the tube and lets it go into the rez water. Venturi is a water pump that you induce air into so not only are you adding air to your water, you are also mixing up your water much better then an air stone can at much less wattage and you can say goodbye to that stupid, extremely loud ECO7 Air pump that you hate!

Water temps
Always keep above 68 degrees which can be easily done by a cheap (35 dollar) aquarium pump. A 350W pump will work for a rez up to 150 Gallons. 74-76 degrees is optimum but if you are running higher temps make sure you use some sort of benies like hydroguard from botanicare (only 1mL per gallon and works awesome) to avoid any slime or other crap that will start growing in your rez. Some people use H2O2 or even ClearRez (just chlorine or pool shock diluted in water, 1gram per gallon and then used at 4mL per gallon in your rez which is a totally over priced or should i say great marketing from the guys over at EZClone) which might work well for some but say goodbye to your bennies and all the little workers that you have in your coco and around your roots that are breaking the nutrients down and helping your plant intake its food.

Keeping your water temps up will not only help when mixing your nutrients (most calcium and silica will fall out of nutrient solutions when temps are under 65-68 degrees) but it will keep the plants much happier. IF you feed your plants extremely cold water, you are just shocking the root zone which will then lead to stress and stress leads to crap yields which suck. Keep your roots happy with some nice mixed up, oxygen filled, clean water!

Container/Pot Size

Coco gardens do not need large containers.. You can grow trees in small containers such as 1-2 gallons but you are possibly creating a problem. For example, say in mid flowering your plants are in 1 gallon pots and you are up to watering 5 times a day. Your power goes out and you don't realize it for a while and your plants are just wilting out and becoming really stressed!

Go with 3 Gallon pots and water once every couple days after initial transplant for about a week then go to once every other day then once a day and by the time you flip to Bloom (which shouldn't be more then three weeks from clone).

With the 3 gallon pots you have a little more room for error and you are still not wasting coco and space by having some stupid 15 gallon pots that are only filled about 30% with roots instead of about 70-80%..

Watering Schedule
Like stated above, after transplant you will want to water then let the coco dry out a bit so the roots go in search of water (not bone dry but don't keep completely saturated like some old coffee grounds!) After your roots are poking out the bottom which should only take a few days (maybe up to a week) you can then go to watering ever couple days to every other day and by the third week of veg which is right before you should flip to bloom if you are using HID lighting, you should be watering once a day.

Say your light schedule is from 6pm - 6am set your pump to be on around 6:30 or 7pm so you have some time to go in your room once the lights kick on and make sure you drippers are working properly and none are getting clogged. Then your plants have all day to consume that water.

If your running a large pump you will only be running your pump for about 1-2 minutes. For example, a 1500gph pump running 32 sites (4 sites under each lamp) will only take about 2 minutes to pump about 1000mL which is a good size feeding for a 3 gallon container which is about .25 gallon. With that small of a watering you will get your coco wet but not overly saturated and you will notice very little runoff which = less waste since you will always want to run coco gardens drain to waste. I know people are going to say otherwise but their is no point to run recirculating in coco. Your just going to dump that whole rez out anyway at the end of your 2 week water change so why not just use almost all the water? exp when your only getting about 1/3 of the water when making RO but that can be for another post..

You don't need much runoff if you run a product from H&G called Drip Clean. Love this product.. it is the only product that i will use from H&G. Only use .3mL per gallon and you will not have salt buildups when only having about 1-5% runoff.

Once you get your watering cycle down for once a day you can slowly move up. I would recomend using the 2 minute feed at 6:30 or 7pm when lights are turning on at 6pm and maybe once again at 1230am for one minute and just keep an eye on the weight of your containers to see if they are extremely heavy and not drinking all the water the following day when you go in to check when lights come on. If they are dry you can keep that schedule up and look foward to adding another watering. If they are wet still and heavy, go back to feeding just once a day.

This is the thing with drip systems, everyones drip times and feeding amounts are going to be different. you just have to learn your plants and if you see wilt and or heavy pots, correct the schedule.

The more times you water, the more oxegen gets to the root zone and the more explosive growth you will see.. if you water like soil, expect soil results.. if you water like hydro, expect hydro results!

Type of Coco
Some people swear by the bags or the premixed crap with other additives but why pay 20-30 dollars a bag when you can buy the botanicare bales for 10 bucks a bale and you get 70Liters of product after hydrated..

You just take the bale, throw it in a rubbermaid tote throw about 4 gallons of extremely hot water on it and watch is blowup and then mix it around.

Looking to be an over achiever? throw in some ZHO or another type of beneficial fungus in the media to help with the rootzone!

throw a box fan or 6 inch inline fan on the ground.. lollypop the shit out of em and watch those ladies explode!!!

Ill add some more about the drip setup soon.. gotta get going!

Keep on Growing!!! and Call the DUDE

onhigherground

DUDE ! excellent timing ... I have been looking at the "fixins" for my drip system sitting in the corner for several months... I have read several great drip threads and was feeling pretty lame. I just recently said: !#@! gotta do sumthin here... but still didn't quite feel up to it. and now dear sweet DUDE walks me thru like i'm watching him do it... thankee, thankee I look forward to more! don't worry, I r a girl...

noob1988

Your not the same guy from YouTube. Dude420grows I think. Not completely sure his name right now.

I only feed once a day by hand. My pots are 1.8gallons. Each one will hold 36oz before I see good runoff.

I've always wondered if 36oz is the water capacity of 1.8g or if they'd drink more water with a second feeding.

For example if I watered a 2nd time 6 hours before lights out, if they'd still hold 36oz the next watering.

I need a automated drip system to have everything accurate. I've never built one so need to do more research. My first harvest ever is 2 weeks away!!

Good info, will be checking in.

Bobbo4200

Veteran
I'm tagged on this one too! I have some coco ladies going, and I have always wanted to try a dripper set up... Gonna have to think about this some more

Your not the same guy from YouTube. Dude420grows I think. Not completely sure his name right now.

I only feed once a day by hand. My pots are 1.8gallons. Each one will hold 36oz before I see good runoff.

I've always wondered if 36oz is the water capacity of 1.8g or if they'd drink more water with a second feeding.

For example if I watered a 2nd time 6 hours before lights out, if they'd still hold 36oz the next watering.

I need a automated drip system to have everything accurate. I've never built one so need to do more research. My first harvest ever is 2 weeks away!!

Good info, will be checking in.

No.. i am not DudeGrows420 or whatever his name is.. he has some dope videos on youtube.. another youtube guy you should check out is Medicropper. he has some really informative videos and has done some really large coco grows. The 21K grow is pretty intense.

His channel is cool since he has been posting for so long and you can see how he went from mix media to straight coco to different pot sizes and feeding schedules. His videos are a little long but i have gained some good tips as well as ideas from some of his setups.

About your watering..

that is about 1000mL (i usually try to work in mL).. there is really no true answer I could give you on that being too much or not enough.. it all depends on your root system.

The key with coco is to water less frequently at first and try to fill the entire pot with as much root mass as possible and as quick as possible so you can then go to multiple waterings a day.. more waterings = more air exchange which + your plants taking up more water/nutes which then = explosive growth rates.

i was reading a post a while back and the quote stuck in my head.. "water coco like soil and expect soil results, water coco like hydro and expect hydro results"

I have done hand watering setups which are not only a pain in the ass when doing multiple hoods or even just one light in a tight space.. but you can't ever take a week vacation and not be crazy concerned your buddy that you shouldn't have even showed your plants to is going to fuck something up when he tends to your crop while your gone haha.

so getting back on track.. started rambling!

an automated drip system is very cheap and easy to setup.. all you need is a Y Filter.. pump.. 3/4" line, 1/4" line, some barbed fitting and your choice of drip emitters.. i have tried a few different ones and have not found any that functioned better then the adjustable umbrella style drippers on a stake. All this stuff can be purchased for under 120 bucks.. you can go high end with a super nice jet pump which will keep your PSI at 20 or 40 (most pumps are switchable) or just a regular sub pump.

About water capacity of your size pot.. hard to say. All depends on the coco, or what you mix with you coco, or how the drainage is setup in the pot.. or a billion other variables.

What I can tell you is that i prefer 3 Gallon Pots (1 Gallon pre-veg) and water once a day during veg (vegging for 2.5 weeks). each feeding is about 1000mL which is about the same as your 36oz watering. The key is to keep an eye on pot weight and uptake. For easy numbers, if your lights come on at 6 and you water at 6:30 (1000mL) check your pot weight and if it gets light by 2 or 3 (8 hours later) i would schedule another watering in at 12:00 for half of what you watered your first time. So 1000mL first watering and 500mL second watering..

This will give your plants another feeding wihtout wasting a ton of water due to runoff from your first larger feeding.. now keep an eye on your plants.. go in the room the next morning after you started your second feeding and if the plants are heavy as fuck go back to watering just that first time or split it up to 2 500mL waterings or 750mL then 500mL.

I am just using these numbers since i am used to 500mL per minute the pump is on. i was fucking stoked when the pump fired up and i had all the drippers going the same rate and did a quick test to see how many mL i was getting per minute and it was just over 500mL.. very easy for calculating.

now.. say you go in your room the day after you started that second watering and you plants are light as fuck.. time to maybe add another watering.. so instead of watering at 6:30 and 12:30 now go to 6:30, 10:30 and 2:30 with that first feeding being slightly larger then the other two..

i have tried even waterings and have found that a nice air exchange to start the day seemed to work a little better with a slightly heavier watering.

with the size pots you are in you should work on getting a nice solid root system and be watering 4 or 5 times a day, maybe more. With the 3 gallon pots, i have found that a 1000mL watering during veg then moving up to 2 for the first week or so of flowering then to 3 has worked awesome.. i could probably sneak a forth in but by the time i get to three im creeping close to lowering co2 down and will be also bringing temps back down to bring out the nice colors and finish the ripening since high co2 just delays that but we can go over that in another post.

If you give me a little more info on your setup i can help recommend what you need to get automated.

Thats awesome you are approaching your first harvest! here are a few tips:

Dont pick early! this is when your buds are packing on the weight..
Don't flush for the entire two weeks or you will sacrifice yield (remember this is not soil)
And last but not least.. take your time on the Cure.. Curing is the most important part if you want that super funk that just reeks up everything!
Oh and I almost forgot, enjoy puffing that first fat doub of some of your own HomeGrown!

-theDude

I'm tagged on this one too! I have some coco ladies going, and I have always wanted to try a dripper set up... Gonna have to think about this some more
get automated! you will never go back bro. It is just so nice to let your plants water themselves haha

noob1988

What do you mean by don't flush the entire 2 week's. What do you recommend. I'm in 80% coco 20% perlite

I can't do multiple feeds bc I hand water.
Hand watering is a pain.. after you harvest this cycle.. look into setting up drip and you should have no problem increasing yields plus ease of system.

About the flush..

Tons of guys will preach the "You NEED to flush for 2 weeks" which i agree with if you are in some soil but coco does not need a full two week flush. I usually feed up until i see some trikes going amber and the rest super cloudy. it usually takes (strain dependent) about 3-6 days from that point to get to my preferred harvest time of about 50% amber so its not too couchlock status and i don't lose any yield that i would have missed by picking earlier.

Also, if you are running different stains you might mature differently so it all depends on your situation. but bottom line, don't flush with just water for two weeks.. keep the feeding going.

You can also increase your phosporus and potassium to help ripen your plants at this point which will help finish slightly quicker as well as help the buds swell (almost like another little growth spurt).

Not sure what type of nutes you are running but almost every company if you are not creating your own program has some sort of ripening supplement which just has a shit ton of phosporus and usually about slightly more then half that amount of Potassium such as KoolBloom Powder from GH, and CNS17 Ripe from Botanicare which is a base nute that is just used the last 2 weeks of flowering, after using their CNS17 Bloom.

Hopefully this helps.. Good luck with that first harvest, and remember, don't rush the dry and cure.. dry for at least 10 days before doing final manicure and jar curing and you will have an epic product! you will find after getting a few cycles under your belt that curing is half the battle.. since that is when your chron is developing all the great smells and tastieeness!

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Hey Dude,
Can you PM me, and go into exactly what I need to get on a timer setup? What do you think of the automated drip vs. Blumats? I have Blumats, but never really got them dialed in-so I went back to hand watering once, sometimes twice a day.
Thanks

RulaTone

Veteran
great informative thread.
time for some pics !

i have a question
how you keep your nutrient solution ph stable over days?
Or rez is set up to run out after one single irrigation?

after just 24 hours i get a 1 point drift (5.8 becomes 6.8) using GHE ph- wich is both nitric and fosforic acid and some buffering agent. Definately not worth in Coco, altough pretty nice in Soil.

in a few days i will try canna ph- pro grow along with their A+B line.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I don't have a timer, I don't know anything about that. What kind to get
What type of timer are you using?
art-dne.jpg

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Thanks! I looked up that timer on Amazon, $73.

Not to be a pain, but could you list all the parts I am going to need to get on a drip-or maybe PM me? Do you have a link to which adjustable stakes to use? Hose? What size pump? I am only planning on hooking 1-3 plants up, so I am not sure if I need a huge pump

I was ready about to give up on coco all together, but have a few coco ladies going in 5g airpots that are doing great. Roots out the bottom, roots out the top. I am doing one or two feeds per day, but know I could bump that up on some
Thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts