What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

my first grow with cfls

lonetoker

just wanted to hear some peoples opinions.
im doing my first grow in a 20"x36"x60" tent with 12 23watt cfls..
my two plant came from a friends grow in which they were about to toss them out cuz they werent doing so good. at a month and a half when i received them they were tiny little things about 4 inches tall compared to the rest of the babies they had that were over a foot tall..(wish i had some pics of them at that age). so they gifted them to me... they were in soil and i put them in a dwc system after i washed all the soil and perlite frm the roots (i know thats not the right thing to do but i cant grow in soil where i live) in my tent it has now been a month vegging now they are over a foot tall and i did some lst, toppping, and super cropping on them and they have turned into little monsters.
this was one week ago on the right is purple og#18 from reserva privada and on the left is cotton candy from delicious seeds

Scroggy B

They indeed look great! Very bushy and no apparent problems/stretch.
I think you should try lower the lamps as far as possible, to get maximum light on your lights. CFL's have a pretty low light penetration, and you know the more light the better (up to a limit that's hard to reach with CFL).

Beautiful Pair...

Beautiful Pair...

just wanted to hear some peoples opinions.
im doing my first grow in a 20"x36"x60" tent with 12 23watt cfls..
my two plant came from a friends grow in which they were about to toss them out cuz they werent doing so good. at a month and a half when i received them they were tiny little things about 4 inches tall compared to the rest of the babies they had that were over a foot tall..(wish i had some pics of them at that age). so they gifted them to me... they were in soil and i put them in a dwc system after i washed all the soil and perlite frm the roots (i know thats not the right thing to do but i cant grow in soil where i live) in my tent it has now been a month vegging now they are over a foot tall and i did some lst, toppping, and super cropping on them and they have turned into little monsters.
[URL="https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=263773&thumb=1"]View Image[/URL]this was one week ago on the right is purple og#18 from reserva privada and on the left is cotton candy from delicious seeds

Well my friend I must say that they are two beautiful specimens. I also use CFL's and so far they seem to work ok; I also have a 4 bar T5 setup, But I still plan on using my CFL's to fill in the gaps can't beat their flexibility. You can stick'em any where you want em. This is my first official grow too. By Official I mean using ordered genetics rather than bag seed. I've got some Kabookie13 Hillbilly Kush (mix of Hindu Early Purple Kush & RVL Hillbilly Haze) and Med-Man Silver Skunk BX1. I'll be watching to see how these two beauties finish out. Good Luck!

:tiphat: NY UrbanFarmer

lonetoker

Well my friend I must say that they are two beautiful specimens. I also use CFL's and so far they seem to work ok; I also have a 4 bar T5 setup, But I still plan on using my CFL's to fill in the gaps can't beat their flexibility. You can stick'em any where you want em. This is my first official grow too. By Official I mean using ordered genetics rather than bag seed. I've got some Kabookie13 Hillbilly Kush (mix of Hindu Early Purple Kush & RVL Hillbilly Haze) and Med-Man Silver Skunk BX1. I'll be watching to see how these two beauties finish out. Good Luck!

:tiphat: NY UrbanFarmer

thank you man. so far i am liking these cfls.. im on day three of flower with them so we'll see how it turns out.. will be posting every wee to keep everyone up to date with the progress of my two girls

lonetoker

update: day 3 of flower i have to say they are starting to stretch out. inter-nodal spacing is still nice cant wait to start seeing some preflowers

im gonna put a 24" 55watt 2700k fluorescent light at the base of the plants to receive supplemental lighting under the canopy. will post a pic once i do that tomorrow.

Attachments

• photo 1(1).jpg
    photo 1(1).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 18

lonetoker

They indeed look great! Very bushy and no apparent problems/stretch.
I think you should try lower the lamps as far as possible, to get maximum light on your lights. CFL's have a pretty low light penetration, and you know the more light the better (up to a limit that's hard to reach with CFL).

i usually keep the light like 6-8" away from the girls. im also goin to add supplemental lighting

lonetoker

its day 9 today. sry i couldnt upload pics. so i have two confirmed girls. woohoo. im very happy.. i also lollipopped them and laid a scrog over the top of my girls today so i can spread them out to evenly distribute the light on the canopy. also i never added the supplemental lighting since i lollipopped them. will be posting pictures first thing tomorrow to keep everyone updated

"A common mistake that people make
when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-D. Adams
:smoke out:

lonetoker

Nice job, cfl's are brilliant, goodluck

thanks man. im really liking cfls so far. lets just see what the final product looks and smokes like. but im really happy so far with the results ive got.. will be posting more picture tomorrow.

"A common mistake that people make
when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-D. Adams
:smoke out:

lonetoker

update day 10 pics
both girls in the tent
shot of the scrog
lollipopped bottom of the cotton candy
lollipopped bottom of the purple og #18

Attachments

• photo 1(2).jpg
    photo 1(2).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 2(2).jpg
    photo 2(2).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 3(2).jpg
    photo 3(2).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 3(3).jpg
    photo 3(3).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 2(3).jpg
    photo 2(3).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 1(3).jpg
    photo 1(3).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 19

lonetoker

day 10 pics continued.

purple og #18 scrog side
cotton candy scrog side
cotton candy starting to bud
purple og #18 starting to bud

will be posting more soon

Firebrand

Looking forward to this show, looks like you have a nice start, great effort posting so many pictures, big tops in your future.

lonetoker

update day 18 of flower:

will have more pics up in a few!! stay tuned

Attachments

• photo 1(4).jpg
    photo 1(4).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 18
  • photo 2(4).jpg
    photo 2(4).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 3(4).jpg
    photo 3(4).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 4(1).jpg
    photo 4(1).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 17
  • photo 5(1).jpg
    photo 5(1).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 20
Looking Good...

Looking Good...

Hey LT looking good over here. Those beauties are growing fast. I'm using CFL's for flowering my Sativa right now too. What type of CFL are you using, eg. Daylight, Natural light, soft white etc? Right now I have my lady under 4- 26watt daylight CFL's and I try to keep them close enough that she doesn't want to stretch but at the same time far enough to prevent over exposure. But I'm not sure if the spectrum is wrong and if so will that hurt my results. The flowers are blooming nicely but I was thinking of switching over to a soft white CFL. Any suggestions? heres a pic of my ladies flowers so far tell me what you think.

Cant wait to see the final results. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

NYUF :tiphat:

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lookin good so far in here.

Do you know the brand name or have a link to the particular 20x36x60 tent you are using? And is it really 60" tall or is it like 62"?

If its only 60" I can fit it in my closet as is but if its 62" I will have to cut the clothes hanging bar in half to fit the tent in.

Latest posts

Latest posts