What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Red stalks in veg??

sidekick20

In my veg tent...my main stalk and branches that I would clone have a red Outer like layer on it...what does this mean?

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some plants show red stem and petioles if night temp goes low, some show it without a reason and sometimes it could be an indicator of something nutrient-related (often the leaves fall easily if touched) but if the plant is sane, green, healthy, forget about it.

vukman

Veteran
what noreason said...some just take on that reddish-purple colour no matter what.. Does not mean there is anything wrong. That is if the rest of the plant looks healthy and all...deficiencies will show up on the leaves as well so if nothing goes wrong within a day or two.. don't worry too much.....actually, don't worry at all..

S

SeaMaiden

Typically, reddened or purpled petioles, assuming all other parameters are met (temps, RH and light), can be an indicator of N- or P-. Cold does indeed cause this, via locking out these minerals.

Go to my albums, look at my charts and graphs album. Go to the graphic of cannabis leaves to begin getting an idea, but be certain to look at the flow chart. Also, use .edu, .uni and those sorts of extension sites for information on symptoms. I may have another link discussing this, but I'll have to look around for the right one.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some plants have red sap:

picture.php

picture.php

adventures in cannabis!

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I would not use red stems as a rule for nutrient difficiencies unless you have grown this cut before and have experience with it. Too many strains exhibit this characteristic for many other reasons. Like stated above it could be from genetics, cold, nutrient difficiencies, heat ect. I would look at over all health and leaf signs as a method instead. Just my opinion.

TGT

S

SeaMaiden

Cold can cause what appear to be deficiencies, and in a very real sense they are deficiencies. Just as pH needs to be in the right range for access and utilization, so too does temperature need to be within range, or the nutrients cannot be utilized.

However, I do not discount those petioles. I see reddened petioles in cannabis more than any other plant, and I've been able to eliminate it pretty easily, even in plants that were said to trend towards purpling (not reddening). I feel that those colored petioles are indeed part of the overall health indicators.

Avinash, that's just scary!

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There could be a lot of theories about the reddish petioles of some plants IMO and one of these could be that the color come from anthocyanins, a common kind of flavonoid that cover the young petioles without clorophyll or wax, to protect them from light...

Who knows.... maybe multiple reasons are involved?

Lowman

If your stalks are turning red....and....getting very woody(hard)...you have an issue. I have had this problem a few times....and I have found it to be an excess of Phos.

Neo 420

Veteran
Look at these red stalks.. What shall i do?

If the plant appear healthy..Don't trip.. Your good..

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
plant looks healthy to me.... no dark purp. stems like in a def.
so i would consider it genetic most likely.