What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Red Wine, cheap and not?

Red Fang

Veteran
I was thinking a little less hard liquor and more red wine might be better for me. I am at least halfway through my life and still have no clue what is a good red wine or not. For me, at least for now, I'd prefer something 20-30 a bottle or cheaper. There has got to be something decent in that range. I am not ready to plop down $50 or $150 or more, not a wine snob here. Looking for something a little better than jug wine though, although if some jug wine is good lay it on me! If you have some expensive type you like, let me know about that too as who knows maybe someday...
I think I am after slightly but not overly sweet or fruity, not too dry, and something that goes well with more than one thing (=versatile), any suggestions?

eastbeast

French burgundy. It's (usually) pinot noir. You can get a nice bottle for $20. For $30 you might be able to get a premier cru(still burgundy, just a classification based on quality).
If you don't have a wine shop just stick to california pinot noir(more fruit forward) or a spanish tempranillo(jammy and spicy) both of which you should be able to find in a supermarket.

Joseph drouhin and albert bichot are decent french producers, but you may have to settle for good ol louis jadot... As far as spain, borsao makes great reds for a decent cost. Spain is where the value is; great great wine for very little money...

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Unfortunately that is a bit like asking "what is a good color that I would like?"

So subjective, but what the hell. Try some Shiraz from Australia and some Zinfandel from California.

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
home made strawberry wine there is not a wine in the world like it ,and its easy to make,i have an 8 gallon carboy full now!soo good

Growcephus

Veteran
Lived in Italy for a few years.

Vino, to them, is not the stuffy affair it is here in the states, and they treat it pretty much like bread...it's just part of the meal. The locals usually buy it by the gallon, or more, from the local "mom & pop" vintners that exist all over the place, and it's usually cheaper than bottled water.

Never had a glass I didn't enjoy, and I didn't know a damn thing about wine.

That taught me an important lesson about wine: it don't need to be expensive to be good.

I still buy Italian wine, predominantly from the north, because that's the area I became familiar with while I was over there.

This stuff by Bolla.......

images

.....was made down the road a bit from where I lived.

It's cheap, and it's AWESOME.

I recommend their Chianti, Bardolino, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese di Romagna, Cabernet Sauvignon, or hell, any damn thing they make. It's all good, and usually found for under $10 a bottle in most places.

France makes good shit too, but I don't have the experience to recommend anything in particular.

Good luck, and enjoy.

T

toughmudderdave

I'm yet another fan of a nice Pinot Noir. Two vintners we found to be very well priced for the quality is MacMurray Ranch (2009 Central Coast, CA) and Williamette Valley Winery 2009 Pinot...Both are in the 13-20 dollar range and they both rate very well on snooth.com

Surprisingly enough, for a good everyday "table wine", Gallo makes a non vintage Pinot Noir that has a great body, bouquet, and nice robust finish. All mentioned have a good solid taste and finish whereas some Pinots we've tasted tend to be a bit too light for our taste and somewhat washed out. HTH

Red Fang

Veteran
Unfortunately that is a bit like asking "what is a good color that I would like?"

So subjective, but what the hell. Try some Shiraz from Australia and some Zinfandel from California.

Yes maybe but you could make that case of most questions. I have a hard time deciding on strains too: common I just want something that yields huge amounts of super-potent pretty and tasty buds in 7 weeks or less and practically grows itself, just tell me what that is dammit! ;) :D
Kidding aside, there is an answer and we have to help each other find the ones right for us when possible.
I tried those and they are ok but those are red wines?
Like this:
French burgundy. It's (usually) pinot noir. You can get a nice bottle for $20. For $30 you might be able to get a premier cru(still burgundy, just a classification based on quality).
If you don't have a wine shop just stick to california pinot noir(more fruit forward) or a spanish tempranillo(jammy and spicy) both of which you should be able to find in a supermarket.

Joseph drouhin and albert bichot are decent french producers, but you may have to settle for good ol louis jadot... As far as spain, borsao makes great reds for a decent cost. Spain is where the value is; great great wine for very little money...
now that was extremely helpful and I will defiinitely check out the booze store, they have almost anything so I think I have an idea what I am looking for now, thanks dude!

Wow then I read further and there are more great suggestions than I can address right now, have to eat and will check back later. thanks everyone!

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Yes maybe but you could make that case of most questions. I have a hard time deciding on strains too: common I just want something that yields huge amounts of super-potent pretty and tasty buds in 7 weeks or less and practically grows itself, just tell me what that is dammit! ;) :D
Kidding aside, there is an answer and we have to help each other find the ones right for us when possible.
I tried those and they are ok but those are red wines?
Like this:

Yes, not to be confused with white zinfandel. Totally different wine.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Some of the Chilean reds are pretty good.
I cracked a 2006 Casillero del Diablo Merlot last weekend to enjoy with some fresh venison steaks that was fantastic.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just get the wine that comes in a box. Shits not to shabby. Pull it out of the box and play slap the bag with friends, or by yourself...

[youtubeif]812HHetzbe4[/youtubeif]

sutra1

Guigal Cote du Rhone. 10-13 a bottle consistantly nice and any vintage will get the job done. Killer pizza wine....................