What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best temp for reservoir?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I put my rez inside a thick wall Styrofoam container then use frozen jugs of ice to cool

Lowman

I have a big canvas bag full of those reusable ice packs I keep frozen. I just throw it in the rez about 1/2 hour before the drip is set to come on....brings my temp down about 5 degrees. Pull it out...let it drain...refreeze.

T

the med man

its really subject to the amount of DO in the res. i use hyox, others use airstones, some use super pumps or jets to blast the res. ive ran dwc with over 80 degrees no prob, though not recommending it, mm

BruceLeeroy

I like 70-72. Nice and warm to encourage rapid and stress free growth but not hot enough to encourage bacteria. Much below 70 and you start getting slower growth and more stress. Over 75 and you're in the danger zone for sure.

ender87i

Ive heard people say to freeze a bottle of water and throw it in the res, but what exactly do they mean? Do you actually throw the bottle itself into the res? Or what? How are you supposed to "freeze" a bottle of water and throw it into the res, unless you actually throw the plastic bottle into the res too? Or what do they mean?

If you want to do it halfass, then yes, freeze water jugs/bottles and keep changing them out. Get a chiller if you want a proper, labor-free way to keep your res cool. I'm with MedMad though, I always used to run a chiller and set temps at 68 in DWC, I've been running DWC for years now with no chiller, res temps fluctuate between 65F-78F and I've not once had a problem...roots actually grow faster and fuller since optimum root growth temps are around 78F. Pythium and the other badies are from a lack of DO, not temps. Higher temps lower the maximum oxygen the water can hold (saturated) unless you supersaturate it using injected O2 or other methods....but like I said many people now run DWC around 70F-75F with no issues. Another thing to consider is what your running in your solution...lots of sugars and bennies are going to make DO/Temp control more of a priority. There are a few threads here going back and forth about res temps, thats why I told you to search...you will find many pages of reading...no need to have another bickering thread.

ender87i

Well right now my temps are at 73.
Im running an ebb&gro bucket system.
I have an 8" air-disc run by an 18w airpump.

Im hoping with all of this said, im ok at 73..
Or, should i invest in a water chiller?

What do you all think?

Obsidian

Veteran
73F is perfect
you will have to adjust for seasonal differences.
floor and room temps will affect the temp in the res.

S

Scrappy-doo

Dude just hold off until there is a problem. The main issues that could come up are pythium or algae, and as long as you keep your eyes on the roots you should have plenty of time to diagnose and fix either of those.

ender87i

Unfortunately i CANT keep an eye on the roots.
They are in ebb&gro buckets filled with hydroton.
So theres no way to see the roots.
So i dont know how im supposed to see a problem if it exists :/

T

the med man

What do you all think?

awe dude, no worries then. for the most part the roots arent even exposed to water. the only time you will have an issue is with too much water cycles. you could probably get away with 85 degrees in flood and drain lol(tho not recomended) room temp is perfect buddy. when you get into constant feed set ups, then make it an issue. just remember every feed and drain cycle the water is resaturated with the roots, peace, mm

St3ve

What do you all think?

That is just fine for ebb n gro. You only really need the water to be under 70 when you are running DWC because of the much higher chance of rot.

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
Would 55 to 60 be to cold ???
my canopy is about 68 . I,m getting slow bud growth this winter .

Is my temps too low ???

S

Scrappy-doo

Unfortunately i CANT keep an eye on the roots.
They are in ebb&gro buckets filled with hydroton.
So theres no way to see the roots.
So i dont know how im supposed to see a problem if it exists :/

Oh I see. I've had trouble with my hydro when temps got into mid-upper 70's or higher. Low 70's should be ok. Good luck.

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
Lets search for "low temps" or something...and not jack this thread.

Thats kind of rude i'd say ??

The topic is 'best rez temps' , and the effect of too high or low temps.

Thought this is a forum where ppl discuss things and exchange grow experience .

:thank you: